Raising the rear

-

Michael Brisebois

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put air shocks on my 66 Barracuda...they just ride too low in my opinion, and the rear seems to be especially low with the factory configuration.

The air shocks are at the limit of what the current leafs and shackles will allow, and I still want more lift, I'm close though. What does the neighborhood about the "extended " shackles available?

Air shocks and extended shackles are TERRIBLE ways to raise the back of your car.

Air shocks take the load from the springs and transfer it all to the shock mounts. Eventually the shock mounts just pound out and you’re left fixing them and then actually raising the car the right way.

Extended shackles don’t lift the car all that much compared to their length, and they ruin the leaf spring geometry.

If you want to raise the back end of the car, get springs with a higher arch. The cost of the springs will end up being less than fixing all the damage you’ll cause doing it the wrong way.

I have a pair of 3 inch lift springs that fit a 69 Barracuda, they are almost brand new (used for about 200 miles). I also have 2 pairs of new lift shackles. I'm in Texas so I'd have to send them by Greyhound to make it worth it?? Treblig
Treb send the op a pm if you want to sell your springs. This isn't a wanted thread. Thanks

Yea I agree with blunblu I did shackles with brand new leafs and it ruined my leaf springs it puts to much load on them. I did this when I was a kid before I knew better if I knew what I do now I would have just went up a couple tires sizes and bought heavy duty springs. What tire size do you have now?

Ditch the non factory stuff. Get your springs re-arched. There are add-a leaf systems to add additional leaf sections to lift and stabilize. There are also airbags available. Do not try to lift using the factory upper shock mounts or you will damage/break the upper mount.

yup
there is a time and place for everything, and skyjackers are not meant to fix busted springs

(but if you do decide to use them, they make extended shock mount (not spring shackles) that allow the shocks to actually work as designed while lifting the car. think about it, if you use the air shocks to raise the car 3 inches, that is 3 inches less of shock travel you have)

now, none of this will solve the issues mentioned by blu

Air bags and add a leaf are a bandaid fix to the original problem. We need to see a photo of the car to see what the op is trying to accomplish. Stock type springs purposely built with a 1-3" over arch is a better way. You may need longer shocks and have the pinion angle adjusted as well. The previous owner of my Swinger added a leaf to jack up the rear. I think the leaf came out of a truck and it rides like one. :BangHead:

Leaf springs do wear out, and that may be your whole problem if you think the back is too low. The previous owner of my blue car put these ridiculous shackles on to make up for the sag on the worn out springs. Really bad idea, they destroyed the bushings too.

20180819_144712.jpg

I wound up replacing the leaf springs, and obviously the shackles too, but if you have a local shop that can re-arch them, that might be a more economical way to go.

Did you check to make sure some joker didn't install lowering blocks?
Some people like the way a car looks with clapped out suspension and might do silly things to make it look that way

Thanks;
I have a great local automotive spring shop, I'll pay them a visit

Exactly! Have those things re-arched. You may still need new springs, it depends on how much you want the car raised. But the spring shop is the way to do it!

Leaf springs do wear out, and that may be your whole problem if you think the back is too low. The previous owner of my blue car put these ridiculous shackles on to make up for the sag on the worn out springs. Really bad idea, they destroyed the bushings too.

View attachment 1715311132

I wound up replacing the leaf springs, and obviously the shackles too, but if you have a local shop that can re-arch them, that might be a more economical way to go.

Wait, I've seen those before!
standard.jpg

They were even in a movie, those things are famous!

i038635-jpg.jpg

Didn't work out too well though...
6050p-8062-jpg.jpg

If the spring shop doesn't have a furnace you're wasting your money!!!!!!! If they simply use a press to re-arch your springs the re-arch will only last a short while. The spring material must be brought to a certain temperature to reset the arch or it won't hold. That's how it's supposed to be done.

-
Back