Rare Dodge Dart GT? Which engine is this?

-
@318willrun made a good comment on the tame (318) exhaust manifolds it has on it.

By the overall look of the engine it very well could be just a used running 318 engine from a salvage yard that was dropped In there.

Don't know till we find out more.

☆☆☆☆☆

318 LA came out in 67, prior to that was the 318 poly motors. Of course other countries may have different engines like Canada. The 273 was first non poly LA type motor in 64 and probably only in the Dart. I don't think Valiants ever got the 273 for a performance vehicle. I think 70 340 Dusters were first Plymouth A body hot rods.

Not a "race engine". Pretty cool car, though.

Not to mention D Darts. lol
I was going to H/T the D's but went with the "known entity".

thought about throwing the Hyper-Pak out there, but I didn't know if it was dodge specific and unsure if it was available as an option or only as a parts package.

318 LA came out in 67, prior to that was the 318 poly motors. Of course other countries may have different engines like Canada. The 273 was first non poly LA type motor in 64 and probably only in the Dart. I don't think Valiants ever got the 273 for a performance vehicle. I think 70 340 Dusters were first Plymouth A body hot rods.
The 70 340 dusters were not the first a body hot rod. 68 saw the 340 in the darts and Cuda and the Hemi was put in the a body along with 383s and 440s.

Cool car, even cooler story. Interested to see what you find out about the engine. And welcome to FABO.

Welcome to FABO! Cool car with a cool story. Let's get that thing running!

Take off that air cleaner and let us see what carb we're working with. If the car was trying to start 3 years ago, it shouldn't take too much to get it going again.

68 saw the 340 in the darts and Cuda and the Hemi was put in the a body along with 383s and 440s
Why do people always forget the 67 Dart GTS 383 3bbl

But we are digressing from the OPs question trying to figure out what motor is in the car with our enough info.

Let's wait till he posts some more photos and locates the casting numbers.

Maybe someone with time could wright up a checklist to getting it fired up.

Keep it simple, just the basics, it does not need to run and drive just fire up.

Why do people always forget the 67 Dart GTS 383 3bbl

But we are digressing from the OPs question trying to figure out what motor is in the car with our enough info.

Let's wait till he posts some more photos and locates the casting numbers.

Maybe someone with time could wright up a checklist to getting it fired up.

Keep it simple, just the basics, it does not need to run and drive just fire up.
File and clean the points, clean fuel, will fire right up.

Oh yeah, put a newer Mini Starter in it, it will start like it has fuel injection.

Fun, Fun!

Screenshot_20230128-101942_Gallery.jpg

Other ways to tell the difference from a 340 to a 273 or 318 by not reading the side of the block. Motor mount ears are different on the driver side on the 340 then the others for one. Not a exact science but pull out a plug and check the heat rating. What tells me mostly it not being a 340 or any other "RACE" motor is the exhaust manifolds are not for racing. The intake looks like a old style Edelbrock Performer 4BBL intake, which has the angle thermostat housing. I first thought it may be a 64-65 273 stock 4BBL intake, but not sure, I can't dig mine out to check the angle of the thermostat housing. The part # starts with a 24 (don't have the full part # with me now) and if it does on the car it must be a 273 because it will not fit on the other small blocks. It is a COOL car to own and play with but I think someone in the way pass added parts to a 273 or 318 because the valves covers may of came from a late 60's SB as well as the water pump from the 60's. All said and done, the OP needs to climb under the car and check the casting #'s to be sure of the motor size and then remove the valve covers to check to head casting numbers also, so he knows for sure what he is dealing with.

She’s told stories about it; like when she used to race my dad on the freeway in his 500hp GTO and even as a skilled driver he had trouble keeping up..
Well, that's a nice bedtime story, especially the 500hp Pontiac bit, but i'm sorry to tell you, it's no "race version/engine". And probably neither was that GTO.

Well, that's a nice bedtime story, especially the 500hp Pontiac bit, but i'm sorry to tell you, it's no "race version/engine". And probably neither was that GTO.
Sounds like my freeway race with a Getow with the old mans Polara station wagon.
The mighty Getow loaded down with high school kids was embarrassed that day, the old Polara was right at their door. lol
Every time I saw the kid in school he'd just turn away. I never could get him to race the Charger or Barracuda. lol

Well, that's a nice bedtime story, especially the 500hp Pontiac bit, but i'm sorry to tell you, it's no "race version/engine". And probably neither was that GTO
Nice bubble burst.

And I thought I was a Dana downer!

:(

Well, that's a nice bedtime story, especially the 500hp Pontiac bit, but i'm sorry to tell you, it's no "race version/engine". And probably neither was that GTO
You’d be surprised. Haven’t seen it in person but my parents kept videos of their cars on my mother’s old camera, from what I’ve seen of them the Dart lived up to its name; dainty and quick. She used to race it against their friends as well, it could keep up with the ‘big boys.’ His GTO measured between 430-490 on the dyno and it didn’t overtake the Dart by much. Him and his buddies were into drag racing and since he’s a mechanic they were constantly working on upgrades. He ended up trading the Pontiac for a mini van... can’t say he hasn’t regretted that for the past 20 years

You’d be surprised. Haven’t seen it in person but my parents kept videos of their cars on my mother’s old camera, from what I’ve seen of them the Dart lived up to its name; dainty and quick. She used to race it against their friends as well, it could keep up with the ‘big boys.’ His GTO measured between 430-490 on the dyno and it didn’t overtake the Dart by much. Him and his buddies were into drag racing and since he’s a mechanic they were constantly working on upgrades. He ended up trading the Pontiac for a mini van... can’t say he hasn’t regretted that for the past 20 years
The Dart also weighs at least 1000 pounds less. We're not disrespecting your car. It's a great start on something, but it does not have a race engine. It appears to have stock heads and even a stock intake manifold. See the engine in this post. That's a race engine.

Pull the air cleaner off and lets see if it has a 4 barrel carburetor or a 2 barrel carburetor.

That will tell us a lot to begin.

You know, you have very good English language skills.

-
Back