Rare Dodge Dart GT? Which engine is this?

-

heavnxbound_

Reaction score
Hi! My mom bought this Dart GT 1964 “Golden Anniversary” when she was my age, in the 90s. It’s sadly been standing untouched in the garage since 2000 when life became hectic and she focused on raising the kids. I’ve been thinking about trying to get it back on the road, she’s done so much for me that I want to do something for her as well, and I know that this car used to be her baby before I came along. She’s told stories about it; like when she used to race my dad on the freeway in his nearly 500hp GTO and even as a skilled driver he had trouble keeping up. Or when she was embarrassed to start it in the morning when going to work because it was so loud. I never got to see the car in its glory days but I would love to get it back to “life” and I know she’s missed having it as her daily.

So my main question here is about the engine. The car was actually assembled in Norway (Lillestrøm) according to a quick database search on its VIN number, and came with the slant 6, but the guy who had it before my mom swapped it with a V8. I can’t get into the nooks and crannies where the identification numbers are located but I know that according to the engine’s documents that came with the car (they were lost in a house fire years ago) it said that it’s a 340 with cylinder heads from a 318 “Race Engine.” Idk exactly what the “Race Engine” title entails, I haven’t found much about it online. The distributor on this is located on the back side of the engine, which someone said is a way to identify the engine as a 340, apparently 318s usually have it on the front. Is that correct?

FE1CA698-7E53-4620-911B-BE338C585F31.jpeg

2518598B-4BC3-4126-94E1-09D6CDF204C3.jpeg

830BCB5D-4F65-4117-87F6-5A453FE5D4A2.jpeg

A4C2618D-21C3-4811-8E59-9F50AC5C94F5.jpeg

6AB6E208-F286-4565-A8A9-6AB65F95EFEE.jpeg

E077DC6C-5C02-4495-80C7-4DAB97C8FB26.jpeg

28D7DD3D-3AEA-4388-B87B-19926BEDF917.jpeg

Last edited:
273's came out in 64. It could be. Look at the side of the block . The engine size will be cast into the side of the block. Looks like something later model in there 1967+ valve covers and the alternator is on the wrong side.

First of all... WELCOME TO THE SITE !!

You have certianly found the Mecca for all things A-Body as we refer to these cars of ours.

As away any questions you have and I guarantee you will get the proper answer here.

That is a great car with a great story and I look forward to following your progress.

As all here will tell you.. Take lots of pics!!

Cheers!!

273's came out in 64. It could be. Look at the side of the block . The engine size will be cast into the side of the block. Looks like something later model in there 1967+ valve covers and the alternator is on the wrong side.
True, I heard somewhere that it’s on the opposite side because it’s classified as a race engine though. Again I can’t confirm that in any way because I haven’t found much about it yet online :/

FYI all the LA small blocks have the distributor in back — 273, 318, 340, 360 — so that doesn't tell you anything. It's unlikely that there was a "318 race engine" because the 318 was never positioned as a performance engine. But look at the numbers cast in the block.

First of all... WELCOME TO THE SITE !!

You have certianly found the Mecca for all things A-Body as we refer to these cars of ours.

As away any questions you have and I guarantee you will get the proper answer here.

That is a great car with a great story and I look forward to following your progress.

As all here will tell you.. Take lots of pics!!

Cheers!!
Thank you! Looking forward to hearing from all of you here and getting to know you guys :)

BTW, all 1964 Dodges carried the "Golden Anniversary" badges, so that's not anything rare.

The distributor on this is located on the back side of the engine, which someone said is a way to identify the engine as a 340, apparently 318s usually have it on the front. Is that correct
Really nice what you are trying to do here.

All small block Mopar (273, 318, 340, 360) have the dist in the rear. Big blocks (383, 400, 426, 440) are in the front

It is odd that the alternator is on the drivers side so I suspect the the engine or at least the front cover is off of a much later year, maybe truck or motor home??? Just a guess.

In the area circled under the split line between the head and the block there might be stampings that you might be able to see.

IIRC it will start with a letter then some numbers the letter is the model year the engine was intended for. C was 67, some letters were not used (like i,o,q might be others)
Screenshot_20230127-132927.png

Screenshot_20230127-133750.png

Traditionally this is what I would expect the engine compartment to look like.

This is 67 or later but they were very much the same

Post some more photos of the Alternator mounting , very curious!

Typically where your alternator is is where the Power Steering pump would mount.

Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with it's current mounting location

You could also look for casting numbers on the intake might shed some light.

Screenshot_20230127-134407.png

Traditionally this is what I would expect the engine compartment to look like.

This is 67 or later but they were very much the same

Post some more photos of the Alternator mounting , very curious!

Typically where your alternator is is where the Power Steering pump would mount.

Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with it's current mounting location

View attachment 1716040303
For sure, I’ll go investigate some more tomorrow and post any numbers and photos I can get:)

Welcome to the site . Awesome car and story! There's a ton of info here and if you can't find the answer by searching , just ask. So many members here that genuinely want to help .

Welcome

OK here are some observations of what you have going here, and a guess as to what the Race Engine package may be.

Starting off:

1. It has a Dual Plane 2 barrel EGR (smog era) intake manifold painted blue. Guessing this part is 1972-1974 318?

2. Passenger Valve Cover has the Breather/Oil Fill neck like came on the 1969 318s (but was on driver's side '69).

3. Cast Iron driver's side exit water pump to go with the '64 era radiator. Driver's side Alternator, dual pulley . . after thought.

4. Special Engine mount on passenger side as in switching from Slant 6 to possibly a 340 Short Block.

Just thinking about Norway where mopar parts are much more scarce than in the USA, to get some added compression put on some smaller 318 heads onto a stock (maybe mild cammed) like came with the stock 340 short block, the 340 cam.

They maybe had access to a '72 318 Dart that was in their local salvage yard and used the top end parts to hop up the lower 340 Short Block.

So yeah, my guess it's a 318 Headed 340, with a Dual Plane 2 bbl intake and stock 318 2bbl carburetor. That would have some great low end torque and run strong up to about 5000 rpm.

See what everyone else thinks. Kind of thinking of how they would go about it over in Norway working with what they had available.

Would be nice to get a couple of good pictures of the front crankshaft vibration dampener. That would help us identify the lower engine for starters. Could be a 340 Internal balance or the later 72 and later 340 external balance 340 which had the lower compression to begin with, hence the need for the 318 heads for the compression bump.

Hmmmmm . . . . .

Last edited:
Is the motor stuck?
Automatic or stickshift?
We incessantly tried starting it in 2020 without luck. Turns out the carb had a crack in it so I’m guessing that’s why it failed. The fan turns and it sounds like the engine is a second away from starting. It’s a 4-speed manual, “sinter clutch,” it seems like the car was made with racing in mind.

Somebody switched the voltage regulator to a modern type (see next to the brake master cylinder).
The thermostat housing is oriented differently than the later type along with the location of the heater hose next to it.

So yeah, my guess it's a 318 Headed 340, with a Dual Plane 2 bbl intake and stock 318 2bbl carburetor. That would have some great low end torque and run strong up to about 5000 rpm.
That’s what my dad thinks it is, he’s a mechanic so I’m guessing he knows something about these engines but I figured a second opinion or more is needed to make sure we know what it is. With how the car is stored and how little resources I have available there’s no chance I’ll be able to do much investigating around the motor either, except for what a flashlight and looking around the engine bay can do.

Welcome onboard!
Looks like it's an later V8 due to type and position of thermostat housing. Check engine size casting on left side of the engine block above the stsrter.

I see you are from Norway so things on the car may be different from what we see here.

"318 race engine?" Was the car owned at one point by @318willrun :poke:
Ha ^^^ although my Greats came from the Nordic states.......

Welcome to the site !!! Looks like a 2bbl from what I can see, and with the exhaust manifolds it looks to be a tame version of a small block to me. 273 or 318 would be my guess. Seems to be a newer motor than the year of the car. I'm sure you'll have it running in no time !!!

Here is kind of interesting observation. That chrome air cleaner tin is what you usually see with a 4bbl carb.

Then the fact the gas line is running on the side of the carb, instead of coming in the front like the stock 2 bbls had. Leads to something more like a Holley 4 bbl. ???

20230127_173409.jpg

2bbl carb, gas line comes in front. It would be in the center of the manifold not the side.

A picture of the carb with the air cleaner off would tell us for sure.

20230127_171357.jpg

_________

Then there is the question which front crankshaft vibration dampener does it have?

318 dampener:
Screenshot_20230127-173207_Gallery.jpg

340 External Balance Dampener
with offset weight:
Screenshot_20230127-174103_Firefox.jpg

360 external balance dampener, with large offset weight:
Screenshot_20230127-174129_Gallery.jpg

Can look and see with a flashlight which one it has.

Bottom front of the engine, just behind the belt drive pulley.

Here is kind of interesting observation. That chrome air cleaner tin is what you usually see with a 4bbl carb.

Then the fact the gas line is running on the side of the carb, instead of coming in the front like the stock 2 bbls had. Leads to something more like a Holley 4 bbl. ???

View attachment 1716040357

2bbl carb, gas line comes in front. It would be in the center of the manifold not the side.

A picture of the carb with the air cleaner off would tell us for sure.

View attachment 1716040358

_________

Then there is the question which front crankshaft vibration dampener does it have?

318 dampener:
View attachment 1716040359

340 External Balance Dampener
with offset weight:
View attachment 1716040360

360 external balance dampener, with large offset weight:
View attachment 1716040361

Can look and see with a flashlight which one it has.

Bottom front of the engine, just behind the belt drive pulley.
You forgot to mention the 340 internal balanced motor balancer will look like the 318.

-
Back