Rare Dodge Dart GT? Which engine is this?

-
Newer fuel pump and either 61 000 + or 161,000 + Klicks on odometer = 38,000+ or 100,000+ Miles or the car is capable of 180 MPH LOL.:rolleyes:

Everybody got hung up thinking it was a so called "Race Engine". It was not. It is a 340 short block with some Race Car Modified 318 heads on it. Everyone got that wrong right from the start.

340, with 318 modified heads on it. She (the Owner) referred to them as Race Car Heads.

So WorkingDog thinking it's a "Race Engine is thinking it should be at Daytona going 180 miles per hour.

Carry On . . .

Everybody got hung up thinking it was a so called "Race Engine". It was not. It is a 340 short block with some Race Car Modified 318 heads on it. Everyone got that wrong right from the start.

340, with 318 modified heads on it. She (the Owner) referred to them as Race Car Heads.

So WorkingDog thinking it's a "Race Engine is thinking it should be at Daytona going 180 miles per hour.

Carry On . . .
Yep

That's a good point. Let's see the back of the car and see the dual pipes coming out the back.

Has had to have the exhaust switched going from slant 6 to a 340.
Thanks, I'll check on that as soon as I get home from work! Can't recall at the moment whether it is dual or not, though it looks like one exhaust pipe is visible on the right side of the car in one of the photos I posted in the original post, and I'm guessing it would have one on the left side as well :realcrazy:

Newer fuel pump and either 61 000 + or 161,000 + Klicks on odometer = 38,000+ or 100,000+ Miles or the car is capable of 180 MPH LOL.:rolleyes:
Yep, we bought a new fuel pump as we initially suspected the old defect one was the cause of the issues. Also it looks like all of the instruments are in English so I'd think it's 180mph and miles on the odometer

BDC15EA7-888D-4E80-AE81-7A87F0E3A8F0.jpeg

180kph is roughly 110mph, so I'm pretty sure it's in kph. This'll be another one of those mystery things about the little car.

Odd on the Speedo, I take it road signs are in Kilometers in Norway ?
Yeah, but cars that are from countries that utilize miles typically show either mph or both. Gotta ask my mom whether she knows how it is on this one since it doesn’t say. The photo I attached of the instruments and wheel became too pixelated to see clearly but it says “Oil” “Gasoline” “Alternator,” and “Fuel” on the floor by the gearshift. So I would assume nothing’s been translated or converted, but again, can’t really be sure unless she knows or the car can be driven and thus tested.

This is interesting.

Take a look at the lower radiator hose looping under the crankshaft from the passenger side, then back up to the early cast iron water pump outlet on the drivers side.

Not sure, maybe they needed that cast iron water pump casting so they could mount the Alternator on the driver's side?

20230131_035557.jpg

Yeah, but cars that are from countries that utilize miles typically show either mph or both. Gotta ask my mom whether she knows how it is on this one since it doesn’t say. The photo I attached of the instruments and wheel became too pixelated to see clearly but it says “Oil” “Gasoline” “Alternator,” and “Fuel” on the floor by the gearshift. So I would assume nothing’s been translated or converted, but again, can’t really be sure unless she knows or the car can be driven and thus tested.
I would guess the panel under the dash is after market and possible sent from the good old USA. I sent some replies earlier about could of, would of and should of. I would like to add another. How are we sure it's a 4-speed and not a 3-speed. Does it have the "H" and "R" offset?

Orange heads could be a good sign.

You need to pull a rocker cover and see the casting and date.
Orange or Hemi Orange if stock only says it's a 69' or under small block. My other posts state that it is a good possibility a 60's motor not 70's as others stated. The valve covers and water pump are from that era, but could of been changed.

Last edited:
This is interesting.

Take a look at the lower radiator hose looping under the crankshaft from the passenger side, then back up to the early cast iron water pump outlet on the drivers side.

Not sure, maybe they needed that cast iron water pump casting so they could mount the Alternator on the driver's side?

View attachment 1716042071
It is the same water pump as my 69'. Look at the ear on the right (photo left) of the pump. That is to attach the alternator. The ear that is attached to the alternator now is for the power steering bracket. They used what they had to keep the car going. They even used washers as spacers. Don't believe the car had AC back then, it's an AC alternator. Also even back then I would think they would have used a fan shroud with more blades and possible a fan clutch. Lots of miss - match here. I also believe the sun - roof is a add - on. Of what the car is now, it is still a cool car and has potential to be Cooler. The right hand side mirror is also a rare option back then, if it is stock.

Last edited:
-
Back