Rarest A-Body Option?

-
Mine came with a bag of pot in the heater box...Thats a rare option...lol:smile:

I'm gonna vote for engine optons to count because they were ordered and have opton #'s. That way I can stick a plug in for my car, vin # BH27H8. I missplaced my 68 white book so I couldn't get the option #'s, but I can show you what it looked like when I brought it home. It's a 68, 383, 4 spd Cuda convert. Other than the Formula S package and a Deluxe interior it had no options. No tach, no Disc's, no sure grip, no 150 speedo, but I like it the way it is.

My real vote goes for the Red Wheel Liners. Some one was repoppin them a couple years ago and I wanted a set, then I found out they didn't come on converts, Joe.

scan0002.jpg

Coooool, yours is the only ever 1 I have seen. Mine is the same combo, but slightly different. Mine is a 69 4spd console "S" ragtop. Mine was similar, drums all the way around and no radio. Manual steering and manual brakes. Galens books says its 1 of 34.
Cool car have you got recent pics??

I will go with the wheel wheels and the cassette recorder for rare options!

My boss has a factory 383 4 speed GTS Convertible. Supposedly its one of 7.
Right-o . I've heard as few as 7 , but as "many" as 11 .

What makes them so rare is :
- Late 1967 intro ( built May - July , iirc )
- Big Block + Convertible = too much of a weight penalty

The '67 is a unique year , too :
- "Nail head" valves
- broom handle cam lobes ( 383 two bbl cam !! )
- undersized carb ( 525 cfm AFB )
- mandatory disc brakes
- shitty plastic windshield trim :banghead:
- Inland :pukerigh:shifter was the only shifter available w/ 4 speed
- last year for the v.i.n. to be placed on the lower-A-pillar , in the doorjam ; last year for a numerical plant code

First time I saw one --- the only one I've ever seen --- was back in 1986 . A kid from the local , family-owned-for-generations plumbers had one . It was "bright" yellow , black top , black interior , 4 speed (!!) , factory AM-FM .

I never really knew what it was at the time :sleepy1: , as I didn't even know that factory-produced big block Darts were made .
After the 1987 earthquake , I didn't see the car until 1990 ! I thought it'd been destroyed in the quake :-(
When I did see it again , it was red :pukerigh: . I followed the kid home to check out his car . Seeing that I was driving a 1972 Hemi Orange Dart at the time , he didn't freak-out :rambo: .
He let me check its v.i.n. : LP27H72 (!!) .
And there it was : that turquoise monster ! 100% stock .

From research , I knew that these were virtual anomalies ; that they were truly esoteric .

The clincher ?
He paid $700 for it (!!) in 1985 . Bought it from its original owner ; a local whom bought it new -- ordered it -- through the local Dodge dealer ( a high-performance-oriented dealership ) in May '67 .
The original owner had absolutely no idea how rare it was , nor did the kid at that time .

Thats some neat info! He's had the car sense he was a kid. Drove it until it was too rotted away. All original #'s matching with fender tag, vin, and I think build sheet, dark (royal?) blue with blue interior. He pulled the drive train and is eventually going to re-body the car. The floor hump & Z-bar support braket came off this car for mine. Those were practically the only good parts on it! Some day I need to get a picture of it as it sits in his private junk yard with no front end, interior, or top.

This is the flor hump I got out of the car. The whole car looks like the lower edge of it:(

Attachments

• P2140799_0009.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 305
Well, I think a 1972 Dart with the optional 340 would be pretty rare. There were only 50 made and very few of them survive today.
Daryl

If memory serves me correct it was called a Spring Special package that came on some of the 68 Barracuda's, which was comprised of the following, front plastic grille pieces being black with the edges of the fins in chrome(not silver or argent), also included the long rocker moldings with the gilled chrome appliques in front of the rear wheel openings, also the trunk lid had a reflective red tape stripe between the upper and lower molding giving the appearance the tail lights ran directly across the lid to each other, and the dash had the wood grain inserts.

Well, I think a 1972 Dart with the optional 340 would be pretty rare. There were only 50 made and very few of them survive today.
Daryl
Canadian-only '71 & '72 Swinger Special 340's ! Yea ! I'll gladly take one of each year ...

I was in contact with a gentleman from Canada whom had a friend who was restoring an FY1 1972 model , down to its correctly-painted motor and air cleaner :toothy2: .

I had a Hemi Orange 71 340 Demon with the orange interior .

How rare was the orange interior ?

Police speedo option 160 MPH (1976)
I've never seen a 160 mph speedo in any "A" Body , but I have seen the Certified-Calibration 120 mph speedo in 1976 Valiants ; "B" bodies and "C" bodies had the 140 speedo ( also Certified-Calibration ) ; and the new(er) Chargers / Magnums have Certified 160 speedos .

But , yes , any 1976 "A38" Valiant is rare ! A fellow FABO member has 2 of them. His screen name is ...
... A38Valiant :thumleft:

Right-o . I've heard as few as 7 , but as "many" as 11 .

What makes them so rare is :
- Late 1967 intro ( built May - July , iirc )
- Big Block + Convertible = too much of a weight penalty

The '67 is a unique year , too :
- "Nail head" valves
- broom handle cam lobes ( 383 two bbl cam !! )
- undersized carb ( 525 cfm AFB )
- mandatory disc brakes
- shitty plastic windshield trim :banghead:
- Inland :pukerigh:shifter was the only shifter available w/ 4 speed
- last year for the v.i.n. to be placed on the lower-A-pillar , in the doorjam ; last year for a numerical plant code

First time I saw one --- the only one I've ever seen --- was back in 1986 . A kid from the local , family-owned-for-generations plumbers had one . It was "bright" yellow , black top , black interior , 4 speed (!!) , factory AM-FM .

I never really knew what it was at the time :sleepy1: , as I didn't even know that factory-produced big block Darts were made .
After the 1987 earthquake , I didn't see the car until 1990 ! I thought it'd been destroyed in the quake :-(
When I did see it again , it was red :pukerigh: . I followed the kid home to check out his car . Seeing that I was driving a 1972 Hemi Orange Dart at the time , he didn't freak-out :rambo: .
He let me check its v.i.n. : LP27H72 (!!) .
And there it was : that turquoise monster ! 100% stock .

From research , I knew that these were virtual anomalies ; that they were truly esoteric .

The clincher ?
He paid $700 for it (!!) in 1985 . Bought it from its original owner ; a local whom bought it new -- ordered it -- through the local Dodge dealer ( a high-performance-oriented dealership ) in May '67 .
The original owner had absolutely no idea how rare it was , nor did the kid at that time .
Heres that Dart I was talking about.:D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 235
WOW. That's depressing. ^^^

Anyways, is a 70 Duster with red interior rare at all? I have one, factory TX9 black exterior, red interior. Split bench with column shift.

WOW. That's depressing. ^^^

Anyways, is a 70 Duster with red interior rare at all? I have one, factory TX9 black exterior, red interior. Split bench with column shift.

Red interior is deffinetly unusual. I've seen very few. I've also never seen a factory red bench seat in a '70's & up A-body. If you could, could you post some pictures of the interior.

How about inside hood release, our 73 340 duster is the only one I've seen like that and our 74 duster is on the outside.

My 65 dart 270 has one behind the cluster next to the ignition I was wondering what it was for the longest time!

-
Back