Rarest A-Body Option?

-
I'm gonna vote for engine optons to count because they were ordered and have opton #'s. That way I can stick a plug in for my car, vin # BH27H8. I missplaced my 68 white book so I couldn't get the option #'s, but I can show you what it looked like when I brought it home. It's a 68, 383, 4 spd Cuda convert. Other than the Formula S package and a Deluxe interior it had no options. No tach, no Disc's, no sure grip, no 150 speedo, but I like it the way it is.

My real vote goes for the Red Wheel Liners. Some one was repoppin them a couple years ago and I wanted a set, then I found out they didn't come on converts, Joe.

scan0002.jpg

Seems fair. The 340 was standard on the 68 Formula S, the 383, rated @ 300 hp was an option. Found white book that shows engine code is 62. Rare? According to Govier there were 64 shipped.

I wanted a set of the front wheel well liners.
I think the repops were like 500. Red also. Was that meant to represent the inside of the fishs' gills ? Anyway...
I'll bet there is an easy adaptation from a different car or truck. Black too !
I'd love to know how much queiter the car is on the inside with front liners installed.

Laysons used to carry those red wheel liners, I`d imagine they`re still available. There`s a member here that has an original set on his Barracuda, he posted very early in this thread. You can probably contact him for further info on them. It seemed to be the "in thing" to paint your wheelwells or brake drums red in the 60`s?

on my 68 barracuda has the option of a locking gas cap. never seen an other one. is coded on my window sticker that i have.

68 locking gas cap 001.JPG

68 locking gas cap 003.JPG

2 DARTS,
Found this in Wikicars....

In 1976, several special models were offered. The Dart was made available in a police-spec version, with production code A38. The A38 Dart had the highest-specification components and systems from front to back; suspension (with a rear sway bar), brakes, cooling, electrical, and powertrain systems were all maximum-duty. The engine was Chrysler's 360 in³ V8, with an A727 TorqueFlite transmission. Production totals were low, with most A38 Darts going to the Los Angeles Police Department and the Ventura Police Department in Southern California.

Also found this....
In 1976, the Valiant was available as a Code A38 police package car and offered in three basic engine sizes: E24 (California emission standards) and E25 (Federal) 225 ci 1 bbl (0.16 m3) Slant-6; E44 318 ci, 2 bbl (0.32 m3) V-8; E58 360 ci, 4 bbl (0.64 m3) V-8 with single (California) or dual (Federal) exhaust. It was the E58 that Chrysler recommended for police service as it was the only one with "added endurance features to improve durability." The E58 produced 175 net hp in California trim and 220 net hp in Federal form. The E58 dual exhaust engine made for a very fast Valiant squad car. So equipped, this compact Chrysler cop car tripped the quarter-mile lights in 16.4 seconds with trap speeds of 84.6 mph (136.2 km/h) and could catch nearly all the so-called "performance cars" of the day.[21] The Seattle Police Department using the Valiant A38 reported a 46 percent drop in the preventable accident rate among police officers,[21] and according to a Motor Trend police survey, the A38 Valiant had much better evasive capabilities, better overall visibility, and was generally easier to drive than the full-size squad cars.[21] A special handling package applied to the A38 Valiant included front and rear antisway bars. Unfortunately, the Valiant wasn't physically durable enough;[21] it lacked additional frame welds and rear cross-member reinforcements standard on all other Mopar A38 packages. More importantly, the front K-frame of the Valiant was prone to failure under severe police use.[21]

I have seen some with Tulare County Truant Officer on them.

The Cincinnati Police Dept. had about 25 of them, mostly assigned to the traffic squad.
They were painted the same shade of blue gray as the Cincinnati Gas and Electric Valiant pool cars and they had lights in the back windows and behind the grilles only, no light bars and no spot lights. They sorta blended into the background. When they came up behind you the only way to tell if it was a cop were the fat tires and wheels. Many an unknowing speeder fell prey.

And they would go pretty good, but not near as fast as my dad's 68 Coronet cop car but real good for a 1976 car.. Don't ask how I know of this fact.

on my 68 barracuda has the option of a locking gas cap. never seen an other one. is coded on my window sticker that i have.

That is cool, I`ve seen the locking caps selling on Ebay for $150+ dollars but I`ve never seen the inside of one of the original caps. Thanks

I have. My brother's California surviver 67 barracuda notchback has the locking gas cap as well.

my 1972 duster came with factory a/c and music master am/fm radio so a couple somewhat rare options

Here are the mod top numbers. Thet were only used on A bodies in 1969. Total A body mod tops 1090. I would have to vote for mod tops as the factory option.

BH23 Barracuda 937
LL23 Swinger hardtop 48
LM23 Swinger 340 50
LH23 Dart Custom 25
LP23 Dart GT hardtop 14
LS23 Dart GTS hardtop 16

Lots of good info here and some interesting votes. I didn't read every single post but one fairly rare option is a 1st gen Barracuda with a vinyl top. Others on the same car are: 7 1/4 sure grip, AM-FM radio, emergency flasher, and quick ratio manual steering. Rear defogger and disc brakes are not very common either on those early years. I think the rarest early A-body I saw was a '66 Valiant S.W. 273 Commando 4 speed with disc brakes, 8 3/4 S.G. and factory A/C. With those options it had to be a 1 of 1.
Thanks, Mark

I've read a bunch of these posts and i see the mirrors mentioned, most of which were dual rally sport mirrors. I've seen very few that had regular dual chrome mirrors on em. Not sure of the code but maybe someone has more knowledge of real numbers. While in Carlisle i did see a factory Duster with Moulan Rouge bottom and Black painted top that was suppose to be 1 of 1. The top offer was $75000 and it didn't exchange hands.
Small Block

I dont know where i have been, but i have never seen any MoPar, or Ford or Chevy, from the 60's or early 70's with stock rear defroster. The guy that bought my Custom 880 put one in though.

Helped a lot clearing that big rear window, wish i had done that when i owned it.

I Don't Know A Lot About Options But My 67 Fastback Has A Light In The Center Of The Hood To Show When The Brights Are On. This May Be On A Lot Of A Bodies, I Have Not Noticed It On Other Cars.

Mine came with the popular J42 option. Never knew what the purpose was so I took it off and threw it out. Now it goes faster.:cheers:

J42 Floor pan boom damper!

I dont know where i have been, but i have never seen any MoPar, or Ford or Chevy, from the 60's or early 70's with stock rear defroster. The guy that bought my Custom 880 put one in though.

Helped a lot clearing that big rear window, wish i had done that when i owned it.
my 69 GTS has one with a matching (to all others) dash knob...mine also has the door open w/key buzzer and key ignition light, map light and trunk light package... all working

I've read a bunch of these posts and i see the mirrors mentioned, most of which were dual rally sport mirrors. I've seen very few that had regular dual chrome mirrors on em. Not sure of the code but maybe someone has more knowledge of real numbers. While in Carlisle i did see a factory Duster with Moulan Rouge bottom and Black painted top that was suppose to be 1 of 1. The top offer was $75000 and it didn't exchange hands.
Small Block

mine has the dual regular chrome with the drivers side remote...is this the dual rallye mirrors or regular chrome?? I can provide pics...if someone knows if the fender tag codes I can read and copy the codes from my fender tag...it was a B.C. Canada car imported in 1985 or 6 and has sat in the S.F. bay area since... orig R6 paint as well as on fender tag...after I get the block/tranny refreshed (next 2 weeks) its off for orig color paint job

2 DARTS,
Found this in Wikicars....

In 1976, several special models were offered. The Dart was made available in a police-spec version, with production code A38. The A38 Dart had the highest-specification components and systems from front to back; suspension (with a rear sway bar), brakes, cooling, electrical, and powertrain systems were all maximum-duty. The engine was Chrysler's 360 in³ V8, with an A727 TorqueFlite transmission. Production totals were low, with most A38 Darts going to the Los Angeles Police Department and the Ventura Police Department in Southern California.

Also found this....
In 1976, the Valiant was available as a Code A38 police package car and offered in three basic engine sizes: E24 (California emission standards) and E25 (Federal) 225 ci 1 bbl (0.16 m3) Slant-6; E44 318 ci, 2 bbl (0.32 m3) V-8; E58 360 ci, 4 bbl (0.64 m3) V-8 with single (California) or dual (Federal) exhaust. It was the E58 that Chrysler recommended for police service as it was the only one with "added endurance features to improve durability." The E58 produced 175 net hp in California trim and 220 net hp in Federal form. The E58 dual exhaust engine made for a very fast Valiant squad car. So equipped, this compact Chrysler cop car tripped the quarter-mile lights in 16.4 seconds with trap speeds of 84.6 mph (136.2 km/h) and could catch nearly all the so-called "performance cars" of the day.[21] The Seattle Police Department using the Valiant A38 reported a 46 percent drop in the preventable accident rate among police officers,[21] and according to a Motor Trend police survey, the A38 Valiant had much better evasive capabilities, better overall visibility, and was generally easier to drive than the full-size squad cars.[21] A special handling package applied to the A38 Valiant included front and rear antisway bars. Unfortunately, the Valiant wasn't physically durable enough;[21] it lacked additional frame welds and rear cross-member reinforcements standard on all other Mopar A38 packages. More importantly, the front K-frame of the Valiant was prone to failure under severe police use.[21]

I have seen some with Tulare County Truant Officer on them.

The Cincinnati Police Dept. had about 25 of them, mostly assigned to the traffic squad.
They were painted the same shade of blue gray as the Cincinnati Gas and Electric Valiant pool cars and they had lights in the back windows and behind the grilles only, no light bars and no spot lights. They sorta blended into the background. When they came up behind you the only way to tell if it was a cop were the fat tires and wheels. Many an unknowing speeder fell prey.

And they would go pretty good, but not near as fast as my dad's 68 Coronet cop car but real good for a 1976 car.. Don't ask how I know of this fact.
I parted out 3 of those Dart police cars over the years. I wish I had kept them now but back then they were too beat up to be worth anything. I kept some of the HP items for my A-bodies. I even kept one VIN and Fender tag just for a souvenier. They had some unique stuff on them.
Mark

i think my dart has some rare options V02 two tone paint V8F ledger green tail stripe J81 go-wing i've only seen one other 340 swinger with the V02 paint almost like mine except the dark green was the roof color and the F4 was the body color and it had side trim moulding no stripe

Any help decoding this fender tag? I have no idea what options are considered original with the car....any rare options???

web.png

Seems fair. The 340 was standard on the 68 Formula S, the 383, rated @ 300 hp was an option. Found white book that shows engine code is 62. Rare? According to Govier there were 64 shipped.

I've been researching the this car as well. 64 total conv. 383-S's, 40 4-speeds and 24 auto's.... There's one on ebay right now, priced high for a non-numbers, non-running, in need of much help car.....

I have a 68 Dart GT and a 71 340 Demon both originally equipped with rear defrosters.

I have the rarest A-Body option!!!

Red plastic wheel well liners!!

For 1968, Chrysler offered the J46 option, which would provide new Barracuda owners not 2, but 4 bright red full wheel well liners all around. These were optional with any engine, but not many dealers knew or seemed to care about this, so it was a one-year only deal that found very few buyers. Only a few cars known to date have been found to have this option!! These were made of thin 1/8" thick plastic and installed at the dealership. There is a code on the build sheet for these so if you can't find what "J46" means on your build sheet...now you know!! 8)

I have these on my 69 but have never seen them on another car. I never new what the option code was, guess I should check my build sheet. This has to be one of the rarest options ever.

Well I got out my build sheet and under misellaneous items column 35 it says w/house liners and under it there is a 5, anybody no what this means.

not sure if all of these were mentioned ( don't feel like trolling-through 12 pages right now ... ) , but here they are :

1. V1M Mod Top on a 1970 Duster

2. R26 AM / Cassette / Recorder / Microphone

3. R20 Radio-Ready Package ( consisted of speaker(s) , antenna , wiring , and a bezel-less dash ; everything except the receiver
itself ! )

4. Fast-Ratio manual steering ( 1965 - 1969 ) @ 16:1

5. 1967 GTS Dart Convertible

6. 1976 360 Dart Sport / Duster ( the 360 was relegated to option-status in 1976 ; wasn't a separate model vis-a-vis LM29L / VS29L )

7. Sunroof on a 1973-1976 "23" bodystyle ( more common on "29" bodies )

8. Clear windshield

9. Heater-delete with air conditioning ( typically export builds for tropical climates ; anomalies state-side )

-
Back