rattler can painting door pannels ?

-

USAJon

Maryland U.S.A.
Reaction score
well, ours are blue. no $ so, im think of the rattle can to go black. nayone had sucess trying this? any ideas on brand o'paint. thanks.

i havnt done it yet, but i bought duplicolor spray dye for fabric/vinyl. It claims you dont need a promoter and it can also be used on the plastic pieces as well.

Ya I rattle caned my car. just went to home depot and picked out a color I liked. prep, primer, paint, then clear cote. I painted metal and plastic. It has been holding up very well.

I have used VHT vinyl and carpet penetrating Color Dye works fairly well. PPG #UK403 Vinyl Cleaner and PPG #UK405 Vinyl Conditioner are decent.

1: The first step in dyeing any vinyl product is to thoroughly clean it with Vinyl Cleaner. This will remove any dirt, grease, or grime. Use a nylon bristle brush or course sponge to clean the item even if it is new. Do this two or three times. After it is clean, thoroughly rinse it with clean water. Then dry it completely.

2: Now wipe the item down with a Vinyl Conditioner. Use overlapping strokes and go in one direction only. Do not crisscross or change directions. After it is done, do not touch it with your bare hands. The oils in your skin can stick to the vinyl surface and cause the dye not to adhere properly.

3: You can now start to spray dye the item. Work in a well ventilated area. Use light overlapping strokes. Do not put on heavy coats because this can cause runs or blushing. ( Blushing means the dye will have a whitish cast and not look sharp. This is caused by too much paint and humidity in the air. It is a good idea not to do any type of dyeing on rainy or high humidity days.) Allow about 5 to 10 minutes between coats depending on the temperature. (Higher Temp = Less Time). When it is thoroughly covered, check it for light spots. If it is covered completely, let it dry about 1 hour. After it is dry, it will be ready to be installed.

SEM Color Coat For Vinyl, Leather, & Plastics is supposed to be real good

http://www.yourautotrim.com/semdye.html

I am due to post pics of my interior job soon to show what has been done. I used both SEM rattle can dye and some Dupont interior paint also. I had to use the SEM dye on the kick panels, seat hinge covers, center armrest trim and the sun visors because I could not get the right color from the Dupont chart. the Dupont paint was used on the door armrests and bases, the dash frame and pad, stering column, and a few misc parts. My interior was all blue and I changed much of it to white. I wont get into all that was done as not to swipe the thread but the paint is the topic and why the two types were used. The SEM dye came in the specific color I needed and after prep the dye went on nice and turned out great. The Dupont dye was needed to get the specific color and texture. I had pint mixed off a color chart. They add a flex agent so as not to crack or peel once put on. This dye was not cheap. It goes for over a 100 bucks a gallon. It did though go on the dash frame and looked like factory paint. I do not have a compressor so the place set me up with a nifty spray bottle. It has a glass bottle to hold the dye and these refill cartridges of little arresol cans that screw onto the top of the glass jar. They work great and the job went well. I have found out you can get this spray setup at Menards, Home Depot, or Lowes also. The setup is less than ten bucks and the refills are about 5 bucks and they last a long time. I painted the entire pint on one cartridge and had no need for the refill.

I just spent most of my weekend with 6 cans of the dulicolor Vinyl and fabric spray. My formerly green interior is now a rich black. I used alchohol to wipe all the plastic stuff then I used 3M prepsol 70 and everything looks great. I even unloaded 3 cans into the carpet and besides it feeling a bit stiff right now it is Black too. I will post pictures I even went as far as to go to Joanne fabrics and picked up some felt and I redid the headliner and the door panels.

Use this spray vinyl dye and clean real good with prep-sol or any auto body cleaner. Mask off and go a it.

DSC00001 (Custom).JPG

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

I've had great luck using the DUPLI COLOR interior spray, I used balcak, and it turnd out great. I also once used blue, and even though the application was nice. The blue looked terrible. Good luck!

I just spent most of my weekend with 6 cans of the dulicolor Vinyl and fabric spray. My formerly green interior is now a rich black. I used alchohol to wipe all the plastic stuff then I used 3M prepsol 70 and everything looks great. I even unloaded 3 cans into the carpet and besides it feeling a bit stiff right now it is Black too. I will post pictures I even went as far as to go to Joanne fabrics and picked up some felt and I redid the headliner and the door panels.

I'm gonna give up another trade secret here...
Dyed carpet will feel like steel wool under bare feet. 50/50 mixture of any cheap fabric softener and water applied with a pump spray and brushed in will help.

I'm curios to see how the carpet turned out. I used rit on mine but think it could be better. Any pics yet?

I used the black vinyl die over a blue door panel about 10 years ago. Matched the color of the other door panels perfectly. 10 years later, there are a few scratches from my feet where you can see a little blue from the die getting scratched off.

I used the black vinyl die over a blue door panel about 10 years ago. Matched the color of the other door panels perfectly. 10 years later, there are a few scratches from my feet where you can see a little blue from the die getting scratched off.

what brand. that sounds like some good product...

what brand. that sounds like some good product...

I THINK it was Dupli Color. Whatever the local parts store had. Like I said, it was 10 years ago. I remember the word "VINYL" in large block letters in different colors on the can. Probably said Vinyl- Dye or something.

I'm gonna give up another trade secret here...
Dyed carpet will feel like steel wool under bare feet. 50/50 mixture of any cheap fabric softener and water applied with a pump spray and brushed in will help.
Thank for the tip

-
Back