RB Motor In a 1965 Dart

-

hotrodhoodlum

X Nostalgia Drag Racer
Reaction score
Any one install a RB Motor in 1965 A Body . What can I expect ? Its has a 318 in it now. I dont have a problem cutting out inner fender wells and shock towers .

Thanks

Just be sure to add downtubes from a 6"x6" plate on the firewall to the front of each framerail when cutting out the inner fenders. Oil pan issues and may need to message the floorpan over the bellhousing and get rid of the pinchweld. Still gonna be tight! Headers will be another issue.

I don't know if this is verboten or not..........
go to www.bigblockdart.com and you will find the answer to virtually question you will have. The archives have a lot of pictures showing what members did when they encountered issues.
The big problem you face ( yeah , me too and I stayed with a small block ) is using an early A body. Much tighter than '67 and up.
Anything can be done........it is up to us to decide if it is worth doing.
But you are not alone on this one.

Yes I have been researching this mess lol It looks like a good reason to stock up on 360 blocks and make some HP

I don't know if this is verboten or not..........
go to www.bigblockdart.com and you will find the answer to virtually question you will have. The archives have a lot of pictures showing what members did when they encountered issues.
The big problem you face ( yeah , me too and I stayed with a small block ) is using an early A body. Much tighter than '67 and up.
Anything can be done........it is up to us to decide if it is worth doing.
But you are not alone on this one.

I think that the swap would be pretty easy with the straight axle. I plan on doing it initially with the stock suspension. I have a set of modified Pro Parts headers. I think that they will fit really well with a straight axle.

Can you post some pics of your straight axle setup?

Besides, everybody has a small block early a. Not too many big blocks.

I have subscribed.

Mike

I just had to pop for 600 clams for a new set of sb fenderwell headers because the chassis headers were in the way to narrow the front axle so the RB project is on hold

QUOTE=az426hemi;1970057263]I think that the swap would be pretty easy with the straight axle. I plan on doing it initially with the stock suspension. I have a set of modified Pro Parts headers. I think that they will fit really well with a straight axle.

Can you post some pics of your straight axle setup?

Besides, everybody has a small block early a. Not too many big blocks.

I have subscribed.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Any one install a RB Motor in 1965 A Body . What can I expect ? Its has a 318 in it now. I dont have a problem cutting out inner fender wells and shock towers .

Thanks

bolt in deal. biggest thing is you'll need custom headers. use the right valve covers and the blower motor and master cyl can stay in the stock locations..

you will have to clearance the tunnel for the 727.

i always felt that the 440 was a lot easier to work on in my 64 valiant then the 360 was.

64valiant023.jpg

64valiant024.jpg

64valiant025.jpg

wish i would have been into taking pictures back then like i am now. had to pay for film and development back then so i guess i didn't take as many pictures as i do today with digital.....lol..

pics on the stand..

64valiant022.jpg

64valiant021.jpg

64valiant019.jpg

64valiant020.jpg

this is when i first put the 440 in.. cleaver brooks (boiler paint) blue paint..

64valiant017.jpg

when i fist did the 360 for the car..
64valiant007.jpg

Nice video Joe looks great :burnout:

QUOTE=abodyjoe;1970058906]thanks man..

fit under the stock hood too.. :)

64valiant001.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjoU-3e-ss4"]The Beast 3 - YouTube[/ame][/QUOTE]

You don't have to cut the inner wells its just a tight fit I have an RB 440 in mine. The other is my buddy Pats with a B1 in it.

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 323
  • Pats B1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 350
  • get-attachment.aspx.jpgpt.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 314
"i see pat has the motor sat back a tad. nice job."
And the wheels moved forward, be at the Grove next weekend for the Mopar race.

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg100carp2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 331
Hoody,
quit working on that Gasser post the new set up :burnout: :glasses7:

-
Back