Re-solder instrument cluster pins?

-

2kids

Reaction score
1971 Dodge dart swinger 225

Just got my instrument cluster out for some paint work and 4 pins broke off - could not have been more gentle, just unplugged the cable and they came off with it.

What's the word on re-soldering instrument cluster pins? Seems a shame to not just fix this thing.

Thoughts?

Anyone got a spare Cluster?

Thanks,
Darcy

Can be done. I had it done on my 66 Coronet 500. Find someone that is certified to solder and it will be done right. Yes, you can do it yourself if you have the equipment.

You should be able to. A soldering iron is around $10 at Radio Shack, and the flux core solder is another couple bucks.

Repairing broken pins is a last resort. There are no new pins to be had, no special swedge tools to install them if you could buy them, and nothing to solder to.

Parts wanted here will probably provide a good used board for a 20.00

I went another way with mine. Several pins were loose on my 67, and one broken clear off. I went to Radio Sh$$ and bought "their idea" of Molex connectors-----those connectors with the white plastic housing---

and simply scraped a small spot on each copper trace clean, and soldered a short lead to each, the terminated them in the connectors.

I really don't care that it's "factory" but it sure does work.

Mine were loose too and one or two broke off. I simply reinserted them back into their holes and soldered carefully around their bases.

Met a great guy today who helped re-solder the pins back on. He really knew his stuff, worked for lockheed martin for 30 years as an electrician, 3 tours in Vietnam, etc. - real bad-*** of a guy! Pretty sure my panel was a piece of cake for him.

Anyway, looks like I'm back in business.

It's a real simple fix. Just get some solid copper wire diameter just small enough to fit into the broken pin then solder it into the pin.

Now cut the wire off so just a small portion...!/16" or less remains hanging out of the pin.

stick that copper wire into the hole left where the pin broke off and solder around the base. If your careful and hold the iron on for just the right amount of time where the solder turns to liquid it will all blend together into a super solid connection and fix your problem for ...what the man said it RShack and 15 bucks later your on the road.

Do it to it.

You can use vinegar to clean everything with a tooth brush before you solder.

Mop

I did mine, still working.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

There is another good idea shown...cover the back with some elec-tape so no oxidation on the back either....and no arcing if something gets loose under the dash.

Mop

-
Back