Re-using Used Lifters on Another Cam

-
If your lifters have a little circle in the middle, your good. If they are cup shaped or like a mirror, they either wore like that and are still rotating on the equally worn out cam or they are just old. Notice the light circle on the outer rim of the left and right barely run lifters and the concave surface on the old]p ones in the center. Also the new ones rock on each others face as they are slightly crowned. The old ones are shot.
20191021_172138.jpg
20191021_172007.jpg
20191021_172216.jpg

Last edited:
The secret to reusing lifters is to take an ox/acl torch and get the bottom red hot to reharden the metal on them, then you will be fine:poke:

Pishta; Pretty clever using the doorway to show the light coming thru. In your picture of the 4 lifter ends, the left and right lifters show a circular wear ring pattern near the outside of the lifter. I would expect the wear pattern to be a little closer to the middle if the lifters were 'crowned'.

Could you check to see if these 2 lifters had a crown or if they are flat? ---- Thanks ----

My dad has been a auto mechanic since the 50's. He worked at a chrysler dealership for 16 years. From 1963-1979. He worked on 340s hemis 318 every engine mopar put out. He says he never broke any in.

My dad has been a auto mechanic since the 50's. He worked at a chrysler dealership for 16 years. From 1963-1979. He worked on 340s hemis 318 every engine mopar put out. He says he never broke any in.

They didn't have to. Low, stock spring pressures and high zinc content allowed them to get away with it.

When I worked at a Chevy Stealership in1980-81 we ran every new vehical at 1500 rpm for 1/2 hour after it came off the truck. May not of helped, but never had any flat cams. I changed lots of cams in the 77-81 cars and trucks. Many on warranty. Kim

Last edited:
I will add that my pops opened his auto shop in '79. When he started to work on other brands other than mopar he did encounter cams going flat. Especially the old straight 6 ford from the late 70' to 80's and also several 350's and quite a few 454 chevy big blocks. Then he started to break in cams because of these failures. He also talked about 390 fords were also bad with cams. So he always was a mopar believer since he never saw a mopar cam go bad!

-
Back