Re-using Used Lifters on Another Cam

-
Basically it’s the cam that failed and ate the lifter, well maybe not. The lifter didn’t spin so it ate the cam. But why didn’t it spin? Maybe to tight in the bore or too much spring pressure. Cam ground wrong. Too long of a pushrod. Not enough zzdp in the oil. I’ve seen a few cam and lifters fail. Not mine thankfully. Kim

I used used lifters on a new cam once back before I knew better. Then engine ran like "chit" too! I never knew why I drove it a while. Knowing what I know know either my timing chain was off (used the wrong dot) or the cam wiped a lobe. Or possibly both. Haha

lifters have a convex shape to the face, you can rock 2 together and see the radii. if they are concave (my slants were when I pulled them) 2 things happen: 1 is that the different cam is not faced to that lifter as it has its own crown to its lifter lobe tip so there is going to be a mismatch, an area of extreme pressure, like a knife edge, that lube will not be able to float. 2nd is the cam lobe with its different profile will no be able to turn the lifter in its bore to equally distribute the high pressures a lifter face sees, that will lead to failure very quickly. If you choose to reuse a lifter for any reason, you can help yourself by making sure it still has a convex shape to the face, rock it on a straight edge. also check the cam to see of the lobe tip has a very pronounced biasing of wear toward one edge. If that is the case, the cam has worn its nose taper. These 2 factors will reduce the chance of the lobe being able to turn the different lifter in the bore, and that will lead to failure. You can reface lifters with a valve grinder that has the right attachment or send them out if they are special (Porsche, diesel, old Volvo, etc) IIRC Oregon cam grinders will resurface your old slant solids for $2-3 a piece when sent in with a cam core. I saw a video of a guy doing his GM's on a drill press, bearing them down on a piece of sandpaper over some soft backing so as to get a convex shape onto them. Dont know his success rate....we built a buddies Cleveland with used lifters on a new Erson Cam and it worked. The stars were in alignment that night.....

Too me that is taking a chance I can’t afford. Time or money wise. U can put new lifters on a used cam, but if the lifter is worn enough to be replaced, so is the cam. Just how I feel. Kin

Back in the early 80s when I was poor did it several times with no issues. Had no idea about break in either. Start, idle, drive. Would never consider it now.

Ya, me too. In the early 70s I did it several times without issue, probably because I didn't know any different. Then in the 80s I started having lifter failures on new cams with new lifters. I put in a new Comp Cam and had two lifters fail early. I went to NAPA and got two new lifters. About a year later another failed so I replaced all of them. Those ran for many years. That was about the time the ZDDP, lobe / lifter ordeals began for me. I would not think about using anything but new lifters these days. Not sure what changed.........

Ya, me too. In the early 70s I did it several times without issue, probably because I didn't know any different. Then in the 80s I started having lifter failures on new cams with new lifters. I put in a new Comp Cam and had two lifters fail early. I went to NAPA and got two new lifters. About a year later another failed so I replaced all of them. Those ran for many years. That was about the time the ZDDP, lobe / lifter ordeals began for me. I would not think about using anything but new lifters these days. Not sure what changed.........
The oil changed....now you have to buy additive to "break in" an engine properly. I think they took the zinc out of the oil...not sure??

In the late 70s early 80s Chevy had thousands of cam and lifter failures. The cams lobes would wear round like the base circle. Lifters would be concave. Did an oil change, changed cam and lifters, broke them in and then kicked them out the door. I did about a hundred in 4 years. Kim

In my poorer ($$$) days, yes, I’ve done it, I don’t recommend it, I Hesitated to write this because I don’t want somebody going, “Well if he did it, I can do it!”

I’ve reused head gaskets, mixed up lifters, etc... a gaggle of major “Don’t do THAT!” things and of away with it.

Again, that is something I do not recommend even though I did get away with it.

Do it right, do it once, save a ton of money and time and you will be way happier and ahead of the game.

Back in the early 80s when I was poor did it several times with no issues. Had no idea about break in either. Start, idle, drive. Would never consider it now.

That's how every car was started way back when and still today. Bust it off an go. You think they were gonna take time to break in every flat tappet camshaft the oils back then had a higher zinc that left the factory? Not just no, but hell no. Of course, the oils back then had a higher zinc content, too. Most spring pressures were mundane to say the least.

In my poorer ($$$) days, yes, I’ve done it, I don’t recommend it, I Hesitated to write this because I don’t want somebody going, “Well if he did it, I can do it!”

I’ve reused head gaskets, mixed up lifters, etc... a gaggle of major “Don’t do THAT!” things and of away with it.

Again, that is something I do not recommend even though I did get away with it.

Do it right, do it once, save a ton of money and time and you will be way happier and ahead of the game.
Exactly! If it is me, I'll take my lumps if I try something and fail. My whole point in the other forum was to let a newbie know that what he wanted to do was not a good idea.

That's how every car was started way back when and still today. Bust it off an go. You think they were gonna take time to break in every flat tappet camshaft the oils back then had a higher zinc that left the factory? Not just no, but hell no. Of course, the oils back then had a higher zinc content, too. Most spring pressures were mundane to say the least.
And the lifter bores were closer to newly machined and the OEM lifters were made in the USA of quality materials and machined with pride! LOL

Do not add ZDDP to SN oils it makes EP worse
buy oil mixed by the mfg/ blender
newer synthetic base stocks for premium oils is better than dino oil
(red line, Mobil 1 ESP, Dexos 2 (not Dexos 1 version 2) a few others
pricey but you get what you pay for
some lifter QA is so bad that I refaced even new ones or gave them back to the customer
I can put on a super finish
cams should be parkerized. helps hold the break in lube
ISKY and Crower and a few others use what I call a superior brand of lifter
(ask our resident crower rep)

It is a metal problem. lol it ain't what it use to be.

I'm on my cams 3rd use and on my lifters Second.. pretty high spring pressure no problems...
$79 each time to have the cam reground and $4 each to have the lifters resurfaced..
$143 total.. of course that's a custom cam grind one off to my personal specs...

Last edited:
I get the used cam to go with the used lifters, on my second free used cam/lifter set.

I get the used cam to go with the used lifters, on my second free used cam/lifter set.
Yes, but I assume those are kept together and the lifters kept in order? The original premise was to put a used set of lifters on a completely different cam. Different kettle of fish....

I'm on my cams 3rd use and on my lifters Second.. pretty high spring pressure no problems...
$79 each time to have the cam reground and $4 each to have the lifters resurfaced..
$143 total.. of course that's a custom cam grind one off to my personal specs...
There does not seem to be any issue having the lifters re-ground.. I've done that too, and am getting ready to put regrinds on a new Isky cam... I'll trust those particular re-ground 70's GM lifters more than new stuff. But that was not the topic.

Yes, but I assume those are kept together and the lifters kept in order? The original premise was to put a used set of lifters on a completely different cam. Different kettle of fish....

There does not seem to be any issue having the lifters re-ground.. I've done that too, and am getting ready to put regrinds on a new Isky cam... I'll trust those particular re-ground 70's GM lifters more than new stuff. But that was not the topic.

I was just trying to offer a little hidden cure for anybody who has reservations. For$4 each having them touched up...

Didn't read all the posts, but I have re-used lifters and had them mixed up. I've not had a problem, but the spring pressure was like a factory spring. However, just because I didn't have a problem doesn't mean I recommend it. I recommend new lifters.

-
Back