Re-Wiring 1975 Plymouth Duster

-
That's the bulkhead disconnect, the main pass-through from the engine bay to the interior and vise-versa. It's clearly laid out in the factory service manual wiring diagrams describing color codes and each cavitiy's corresponding position in the harness that plugs into it. It's also shown in post #12.

If you still haven't bought a service manual, you're spitting windward.
The service manual is enroute, I have started to try and familiarize myself with the mess that is under the hood. I did not put 2 and 2 together with the post in #12 so thank you for pointing that out.

Even when you get the FSM, it'll take some studying to decipher and learn it. It was intended for professionals who worked on this stuff daily, so it can be a bit daunting at first. It's well worth your time to study it, preferably near the car so you can reference between the two. Once you've got a decent grasp on it, you'll figure out pretty quickly what's been hacked, and how to repair it.

Even when you get the FSM, it'll take some studying to decipher and learn it. It was intended for professionals who worked on this stuff daily, so it can be a bit daunting at first. It's well worth your time to study it, preferably near the car so you can reference between the two. Once you've got a decent grasp on it, you'll figure out pretty quickly what's been hacked, and how to repair it.
I have noticed, it definitely is overwhelming.

As another person said, review the wiring diagrams for a bit to get familiar with them. Once you figure out how it’s laid out, it should be straightforward. Here’s a preview of what your going to see with you’re heated rear window in the ‘75 wiring info:

C0A97ABA-8109-4471-BDCF-0CC459BD8663.jpeg

B875B8B6-0822-45D2-8A20-7FF625A72065.jpeg

it does have a rear defrost grid, yes it does have the fender tag.
OK. Since it has the defrost, no need to decode the tag.
It means we'll have to adjust the working diagrams using those options.

Please look at the diagram in post 18 to get the basic concept. (There is no such thing as a 'high speed' wire )
Power comes from either the battery or the alternator. In a standard '75 they are spliced together in two locations, one inside the car and one inside the engine bay.

A car that came with redefrost was wired a little differently and we'll get to that.

no power running to the rear lights, front lights, or dash.

Your choice on how to approach this. I don't know that one is beter than the other. Just that one may be more appropsiate to your situation.
1. Solve the lights issue first.
2. Get an overall understanding of the main wires, what they do, and what has been modified. Then first the lights and whatever else you decide.
The service manual is enroute,
There's a link I posted earlier to a downloadable pdf for '75. Some bits are cut off but its mostly there.

Last edited:
If you have not done so, go over to MyMopar and download the aftermarket wiring diagrams. These are simpler, but not complete. But they are line drawings and easier to follow sometimes. I use both.

Also look through the BODY manual. There are some diagrams in there that are the old line drawings but they don't cover the entire system.

That is your Bulk Head connector. A breakdown with the 3 pages is shown earlier. I sent you the color code diagrams which identifies each color and what they go to.
The connectors only fit one way. So when you pull them out they will only fit one way.. You will need to unwrap the harnesses to see the colors. Good luck.

-
Back