Real world swap cost

-

71Duster

Reaction score
My first question is how horrible of a person would I be to put a 4 speed into a numbers 340 auto 71 Duster?

I've always wanted a 4 speed car and am getting into this question for 2 reasons. I need to change the convertor in my car as the stall is wrong and I need to have a driveshaft built as I have a poorly backyard built one.

I know most guys find all their parts at swap meets and such but where I live there is little mopar stuff at a swap meet.

So if I had to shop online and from a place like Passon or Brewers what would a realistic cost be?

as far as being a horrible person...

it's your car do what you desire too! some will disapprove, others will applaud, but in the end if you're happier with a 4speed go for it! :cheers:

My one other worry is I've never driven an actual 4 speed car just things like 5 speed mustangs when I worked at the dealership

You're looking at close to $2k. I did it 2 years ago and used Jamie, Brewers, Moparts, E-bay, and some locals as parts sources. I have a good friend w/all the tools that assisted w/the 833 rebuild which saved some $$. Go for it.

I think you'll regret it. I say find a /6 car that was a stick and build the car you want. My 2 cents.

I didn't realize how the clutch pedal was effecting my lower back until after I had my lower back worked on. No more manual trans rides for this ol' boy.
Hydrolic clutch would be easier to live with but effects the cost part of your question too. Good luck

If you can do it w/o modifying (and lowering value) anything, why not? You just have to have it in your head that you might have to swap it back to sell it someday.
IMHO, stick shifts are the only way to go for "relaxation and enjoyment". :cheers:

You have to cut the floor to put in a floor hump, the car will have to be modified from stock and it's not an easy swap of parts to put it back. Not like swapping a 904 for 727 where it's just bolt in stuff.

I'm not a big fan of messing with numbers matching cars. They are the hardest cars to find. In the end, it's your car that you have to enjoy.

4 speed cars are way more fun than slushboxers... 8)

If you really want one bad, I would do it. I really dont like to mess with numbers matching cars but if done right it wont hurt the value. Just keep the auto tranny. I have some 4sp stuff if interested. See Ya! [email protected]

My biggest concern is I only have a preconceived notion what it would be like to drive a 4 speed car.

I think untill I find someone who'll let me drive one even a slant 6 car I'll have to hold my tounge for awhile.

My biggest concern is I only have a preconceived notion what it would be like to drive a 4 speed car.

I think untill I find someone who'll let me drive one even a slant 6 car I'll have to hold my tounge for awhile.
Smart move. Don't mess up 340 cars. You cannot swap to a 4-speed without cutting and welding, and it will easily be noticed come resale time.

Given the fact that if I had the parts lying around, (which I don't at the moment) I would convert it in a heartbeat.
The trick is to do it cleanly and neatly, save the original pieces, cut the floor cleanly and precisely, don't go overboard tacking the 4 speed hump in.
Don't worry about welding in the frame pivot bracket to stay, more than 1 or 2 auto cars have them already installed and never got a stick shift tranny.

It all boils down to this, if you want to enjoy the car and numbers matching is keeping you from doing it, do you REALLY enjoy the CAR, or are you just hung up on it's VALUE??

By the way, a modern 5 speed Mustang is pretty representative of what a 4 gear in a V-8 A body is like, so if you liked the Mustangs, you'll LOVE the 4 speed 340 A bodies.

Mark.

I think 4 spd cars are a blast to drive, but I've always had manual trans cars since I was 16.

Do you own your car for an investment or do you own it to drive and enjoy? If it's the former, leave it alone. If it's the later, swap it over. Do it cleanly and you won't effect the value too much if you ever have to swap it back.

I have a 4speed that needs some tlc($$$). If you decide to go with a 4speed I would donate the 4speed and the labour to rebuild it. I would have to look inside of it and we would have to price the stuff out. I am guessing but, to do it properly it will need somewhere around $500-$800 worth of parts. There is a place in edmonton that has alot of parts for these (NOS jobber type parts).

If I were you I would do the swap. You can make it look factory quite easily. I also have a pattern to cut the hole in the floor for the 4speed hump. I did the swap in my 74 and have learned a few of the pitfalls.

Also don't forget you will need a new front carpet.

I did my Barracuda this past winter and it's a BLAST to drive. Here's a link withe some pics and a cost break down. I ended up having a new drive shaft made as the 4 speed d/shaft needed to be longer and that cost me an additional $200 bucks. The carpeting turned out to be a good deal, not a perfect match but for the cost it's great to have in a driver.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.ph...html#msg365599

I just did this swap in my '73 Roadrunner and I love it. The only thing I would throw out there is that after it was all said and done. after getting all the "good guy" deals, et al, I would probably been better off going with a 5 speed conversion kit from Keisler or some such company. I've been reading that Keisler just came out with a lower cost kit that has a rebuilt TKO instead of their brand new units. (I didn't compare the cost versus what I spent, I was too scared)

I asked Keisler for a quote but as it stands I can buy everything local ie: no shipping/tax/duty for 2 grand less a 4 speed hump, driveshaft and pivot and rod on which I had more urge to buy a hydraulic set-up.

It all came out of a running a-body with a near stock 340 that had 1000miles put on it before he decided to do a bigblock swap.

revhendo off topic what kinda dog is that?

After driving mine with a 4 speed swap I can say for cruising the left leg starts to hurt but when I side step it at 4 grand the pain goes away.

-
Back