Ream crankshaft for pilot bushing?

-

vintagetin

Reaction score
I'm putting a new manual transmission behind my 360. It has a crankshaft for an automatic transmission. It has a standard in it now. In order to put the pilot bushing in it I had to cut the bushing down dangerously thin on a lathe to fit it in. This time I want to ream the crankshaft to fit the proper sized bushing in. I don't want to use a drill bit as I am afraid the whole will be crooked and the vibration will tear up the transmission. How can I ream the crankshaft and keep it perfectly square? The closest thing I found was a wheel cylinder honer at the local autoparts store, but I fear the rock will wear out before I've cut the whole big enough. I've been looking at different reamers online but none will work for what I have to do.

Any suggestions?

i just bot a thin wall bushing from napa ,im doing the same...but dont do any thing like drill or ream it..if i remember it was .942 od by .752 inside dia..get a pair of calipers and measure the dia on the end of the crank..i think they also make a bearing that goes in the OTHER BORE...IIREGARDLESS DONT DO ANYTHING DRASTIC JUST YET..when i get home 5 pac time tonite ill email the part number for it..j

The Magnum engines that had a standard trans behind them used a bushing inside a spacer that fits in the large register of the crank where a torque converter would go.

The Magnum engines that had a standard trans behind them used a bushing inside a spacer that fits in the large register of the crank where a torque converter would go.

THIS is what I'd do, but also I'd check the depth from the bell face to the bottom of the pilot hole to be sure it's deep enough. It used to be somewhat common that undersized pilot bores were not.

Some guys used to chop a little --3/8 or so-- of the input shaft

that bushing number is b286..skf for napa..try that..did you measure the inside diameter..and yes there is a bushing that fits where the trk converter goes but i dont have any numbers for that...j

Thanks for the help. I'll check that out. Right now I have a pilot bushing in there, but I did have to cut a lot off of it, so I know the transmission input shaft will fit inside the crankshaft. I'll definately check out that part #.

that bushing number is b286..skf for napa..try that..did you measure the inside diameter..and yes there is a bushing that fits where the trk converter goes but i dont have any numbers for that...j

At advance auto the part # is PB 286 and that's the one I've already tried. Unfortunately it will not fit without shaving it down on the lathe. I currently have this in there now.

Check this one. This is the newer style bearing that fits in the outer register for the torque converter. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BCA0/FC69907.oap?pt=C2325&ppt=C0015. I have a factory one out in the garage I can check and get the Chrysler number later.

I JUST returned the PB 286 for this one! I looked it up on the computer for a 96 Dodge Dakota 318. It looks as though it will fit in the torque converter area. I'll have to test it later when I get home. I have a '66 poly 318 sitting on the floor and I'll see if it fits that first. The 360 is still in the car all bolted up to the transmission. I believe the crankshaft flange measurements are the same on the '66 318 and my '76 360.

-
Back