Rear axle/brake Q's?

-

tcp710

Reaction score
I have a 67 valiant, with 8 3/4" rear that was installed by the guy I bought it from. He had completed a BBP axle swap. But I don't know the details on how he did it, (new axles, modified axles). Because he still has the SBP brake drums, just redrilled to BBP.

Can someone please provide the BBP axle length/offset for 10"x1.75" drums, and also for 10"x2.5" drums? I want to compare what I have, to what it should be.

I just pulled the axles to replace the bearings, and am discovering all the "interesting" work the guy had done on this car.

An additional note, with the SBP 10x1.75" drums drilled to BBP, I am changing the bearings because of the huge axle end play. If I change the bearings without changing to the bigger brakes, am I gonna have the same end play issue?

I might be wrong, But...I have bought all the new parts to swap my 8 3/4 to BBP. If he purchased aftermarket axles, they are same lenght, not offset. I believe what might have happened is he puchased Timken bearings with them, OEM, and not the green bearings which is non adjustable. They were probably not adjusted right from the beginning and wore them out prematurly.

Just checked the axle length is the stock A body length 27 11/16". You are probably right about the not having the end play adjusted properly. That still doesn't tell me what is going on with the brakes though. From all the other posts on BBP axle swaps the 2.5 wide brakes are required, I will double check my setup again, and try figure this out.

If the drums are dual drilled, you have factory A body axles, redrilled to LBP with the small bolt pattern brake hardware. Do the drums have the bells/flares? Happens a bit.

The drums are dual drilled but the axles are not. The axles look factory BBP, there is only one set of stud holes. Must have modified some longer axle shafts. I will try to remember to take pictures tonight.

The drums have flares.

This is why I am so confused about what is happening on this thing. 10x1.75" SBP brakes ( I measured this am) , LBP axle to factory length 27 11/16". Yet everyone says you need 2.5" wide brakes for the LBP axle swap.

Measure the standoff distance and the drum register diameter.

Can't really base identification on overall length.

I measured up my axles and drums
I got 2.25" ID on the drum,
Stand off distance about 2"
Brake pad width 1.75"

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 125
  • photo 2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 136
  • photo 3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 134
The axles don't have any signs of the holes being rewelded though.... It looks like the stud holes are all original and there is no visual signs of the old holes being welded up...

Oh well, whatever it is, I guess I just have to put the axles back in, set the end play and drive!

-
Back