Rear bearings for an 8 3/4 rear end

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hi all
Whats the best rear axle bears to use on an 8 3/4 rear end.
I have heard Timken factory are the best, I can't seem to find a part number for them
Can anyone help out with a part number

I like the green bearings which you don't have to adjust after you put them on. Dr. dif has a web site.

Tapered as original. Best source is linked above.

I have read that green bearings are almost useless for street driving

Been driving a 73 Duster with Green Bearing for 12 yrs now.....on the street too..

I have read that green bearings are almost useless for street driving
Do you remember where you red this? Mine have worked fine for years with no adjustment needed. That's Drag Racing for a number of years good beating the hell out of it on the street to with no mercy!

Tapered bearings will generally last the longest but the non adjustable "green" bearings can and do last a long time also if they're the second generation that utilizes a divorced flange/retainer. The nice thing about the non adjustable bearings is they center the wheels in the wheel house better than adjustable's and they need now adjustment when installed. Here's a good write up on Dr. Diff's page telling about the different Green bearings

Why Green Bearings? - Quality Body Shop Drivetrain

While we are talking about the "new" green bearings, I have a concern. I am an old fart and have no problem adjusting axle end play. But my 8 3/4 has Sure-grip, which has the extra thrust pins in the center section. My concern is that axle end play becomes not adjustable with green bearings, so what happens to these pins which now have excessive play? Please enlighten me.

oh brother.. the old stock vs green bearing argument again.. i swear there was just a thread about this last week floating around.. the same old bullshit is in every thread about the damn things....

oh brother.. the old stock vs green bearing argument again.. i swear there was just a thread about this last week floating around.. the same old bullshit is in every thread about the damn things....
I'm sorry I must have missed the boat every time on that argument how does it end? Or where?

it never ends.. the thread just fades away only to have the same subject brought up again a week, a month a year later and it starts allover again with the same bullshit information, same arguments..etc...etc...

it never ends.. the thread just fades away only to have the same subject brought up again a week, a month a year later and it starts allover again with the same bullshit information, same arguments..etc...etc...
I've never had any problem. Had them in the 8 3/4 and now in my Dana. Like I said- Drag Racing, and driving it like I stole it.
For me there is no argument. Once installed they're not messy with no adjustment? What's not to like? Isn't it a more modern style bearing? Is there a disadvantage?

Tapered bearings will generally last the longest but the non adjustable "green" bearings can and do last a long time also if they're the second generation that utilizes a divorced flange/retainer. The nice thing about the non adjustable bearings is they center the wheels in the wheel house better than adjustable's and they need now adjustment when installed. Here's a good write up on Dr. Diff's page telling about the different Green bearings

Why Green Bearings? - Quality Body Shop Drivetrain
The 2nd generation is what I just had installed in my Duster and thus far I am very pleased.

Search engine on this web site: green bearings had 383 posts...there is a lot to chew on. As for the OP's question you have your answer in post #2....

Yep, I brought this up last week doing a rebuild on our 8 3/4, when I mentioned green bearings and dr diff I got a few comments for even saying that dr diff recommended the 2nd gen green bearings being at least equal to the OEM ones. I was debating the green bearings, but ultimately ended up with the OEM ones as that's what the shop pressing them on for me ordered instead. But I do have the green bearings on our big block duster 8 3/4.

While we are talking about the "new" green bearings, I have a concern. I am an old fart and have no problem adjusting axle end play. But my 8 3/4 has Sure-grip, which has the extra thrust pins in the center section. My concern is that axle end play becomes not adjustable with green bearings, so what happens to these pins which now have excessive play? Please enlighten me.
To answer the question of what to do when you install the Green bearings is for you to remove the thrust pin in the center of the differential. Then you don't have to worry about running out of end play.

-
Back