Rear brake lines on an 8 3/4 question...

-

FrankReal66

Reaction score
I recently aquired an 8 3/4 out of a 72 plymouth duster that im working on fitting onto my 66 barracuda. Just yesterday i threw out the lines as they seemed clogged and no fluids ran through them. I bought a new brake hose dorman (for a 72 duster) as well since whoever had it before just cut it off.

My question is this: will that brake hose fit on the current original brake lines underneath my barracuda? Are the sizings different? In addition, the bolt that held that dorman onto the rearend snapped when i tried loosening it. Thankfully it came out very easily and no damage to the thread was done. Anyone know where i can get a new one? Or if the one on the 7 1/4 will work?

Also, underneath now is a 7 1/4 rear. Can anyone guide me to the appropriate shock plates i need?

Is there anything else you guys suggest??

Thanks!! :)

I recently aquired an 8 3/4 out of a 72 plymouth duster that im working on fitting onto my 66 barracuda. Just yesterday i threw out the lines as they seemed clogged and no fluids ran through them. I bought a new brake hose dorman (for a 72 duster) as well since whoever had it before just cut it off.

My question is this: will that brake hose fit on the current original brake lines underneath my barracuda? Are the sizings different? In addition, the bolt that held that dorman onto the rearend snapped when i tried loosening it. Thankfully it came out very easily and no damage to the thread was done. Anyone know where i can get a new one? Or if the one on the 7 1/4 will work?

Also, underneath now is a 7 1/4 rear. Can anyone guide me to the appropriate shock plates i need?

Is there anything else you guys suggest??

Thanks!! :)
The brake hose should fit. You will need shock plates for 3" axel tube. You will also need new U bolts, 3"

Last edited:
Does the 7 1/4" even have a vent tube/ bolt?? I don't believe it does!!

Yesterday I squeezed down underneath and tried to have a closer look, it does have a tee block on the 7 1/4, im just not sure if its a regular bolt or vent tube holiding it down... too much grime covering it. ( ._.)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...Y211qYm66Nlry_5JiFTxWBvyuvCQCZswlsaAmZf8P8HAQ
These are the correct size for the locating pin on your springs.
They are absolutely necessary for about 20 reasons unless you don't have leaf springs.

Mopar Duster Belvedere Fury Valiant Barracuda Rear End/Axle U Bolt Kit | eBay
I suggest U bolts like these to not smash your axle tubes and grip them tight.
Thanks Lelo, youve truly been a lot of help. I was reading a couple of other discussions on the perches and how to weld them on and all that. Still have much to learn and read. And a lot more to spend on parts lol.

Once again, appreciate it and
..:thankyou:

If I were a betting man, I'd say those are for a 7 1/4 rear. He doesn't say in the ad (at least I didn't see it) what size they are.
Unsure of it either, I asked the man and he hasnt replied yet. But if theyre what im looking for, Ive got no problem cleaning them up and painting them too. All of course if you guys say its good to do so

Also properly torque the u bolts when you put it all together. I don't have the proper spec but you can search for it here on FABO. It's not as tight as you might think.

No luck guys, it came off a 7 1/4...

Guess ill have to continue the search.. new is great but new is expensive:(

150903_001-jpg.1714840645

150903_002-jpg.1714840646

150903_003-jpg.1714840647

You can extend the bolt holes on you 7 1/4 to get you by till you get your 8 3/4 shock plates. I ran mine like this for 2 years and beat on them hard. You will still need 3" wide U bolts.

-
Back