Rear disc brakes

-

73smallblock

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which wilwood rear brake kit is a bolt on kit? So for example if I had b body rear brake setup and wanted to put a wilwood setup on it what brake gap do I need? Is it 2.36 or is it the 2.5 brake gap? I have them on my car and can't recall which offset I have, I think it's 2.36. I'm asking for a friend who is looking to do the upgrade. Thanks in advance.

That's what I thought. I did mine like 5 years ago and a lot has happened since then.

I run 98 Cherokee rear discs on the fastback. Pretty cheap and simple install.

Does your friend have room for the extra 1/2" that the rotor hat adds to the wheel mounting surface. That spec almost got me when I put the Dana in my 68 Barracuda. Thankfully the housing hadn't been cut or the axles ordered when I came across that. My tires fit super super tight and I have zero room for change.

Does your friend have room for the extra 1/2" that the rotor hat adds to the wheel mounting surface. That spec almost got me when I put the Dana in my 68 Barracuda. Thankfully the housing hadn't been cut or the axles ordered when I came across that. My tires fit super super tight and I have zero room for change.
1/2", wow! Which Wilwood kit do you have? Mine had the internal parking brake and the hat is probably less than 3/16" thick.

1/2", wow! Which Wilwood kit do you have? Mine had the internal parking brake and the hat is probably less than 3/16" thick
Yeah its seems crazy. To make sure I wasn't crazy I went and double checked just now lol. This is the drag kit with an aluminum hat that I had to drill for my larger studs.

I believe it is this kit Wilwood Disc Brakes if you click on the rotor hat it will take you to another page with the face thickness and other dimensions. 0.50 inches.

Yeah its seems crazy. To make sure I wasn't crazy I went and double checked just now lol. This is the drag kit with an aluminum hat that I had to drill for my larger studs.

I believe it is this kit Wilwood Disc Brakes if you click on the rotor hat it will take you to another page with the face thickness and other dimensions. 0.50 inches.
I guess it's because the hat is aluminum.

I believe you still need a green bearing set up on the axle. So it's really not a bolt on.

DoctorDiff sells a rear disk kit that can be used with the original tapered bearings. Less expensive than the Wilwood kits too. Only changes the rear track by the thickness of the rotor too, about 5/16”.

Mopar 10.7" Rear Disc Brake Kit

That's the kit I run, super easy install and no issues using the tapered bearings.

I have the 11.7” version on my Duster, works great! I run Timken tapered bearings and DoctorDiff’s heavy duty billet adjusters as well.

29888F56-B348-4376-81B0-8AEE1430F9B0.jpeg

EC04CB2F-E143-49FD-9FD8-F7F51C58DD0C.jpeg

I've got an axle seal starting to leak, so I assume I will need a new bearing soon. Maybe I'll get those adjusters as well.

They’re super nice, totally bombproof. I don’t know how necessary they are, totally overkill I’m sure but with the 295’s I’ve got out back and the autoX and track days I’d like to do eventually I liked the idea.

That does look like a nice kit. He went with wilwood because it's a drag car so no need for e-brake or tapered bearings. I have been happy with my kit and it's pretty lite.

Agreed on the kit being great. Mine has a ton of street miles on it and the pads looked great on a recent inspection.

-
Back