Rear drum cylinder leak?

-

JeffreysDart

Reaction score
I just put brand new cylinders and hardware on the rear drums of my 69 dart and I was puting on the bumper tonight and noticed some brake fluid on the tire. Checked the bleeder valve and line in connection and completely dry. So my only guess is the cylinder leaked a little?
The brake pedal is still strong with pressure and not spongey.... Any suggestions on what to tighten or look for? All brake hardware and cylinders are Doorman products from Summit.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Probably a faulty wheel cylinder. Putting imported Dorman brakes on your car is like playing Russian Roulette.

I always rebuild the original ones. That way, you have sure nuff American made high quality metal wheel cylinders. 99 times out of 100, they can be rebuilt.

It's not rocket science, either. Two rubber boots, two rubber pistons, two metal pistons and a spring in the center.

All they usually ever need is slight honing with a brake wheel cylinder hone to clean them up.

I liken replacing factory American made wheel cylinders with imported ones to replacing good, stainless steel wiper blades with BS plastic ones. See it done every single day.

Course, wiper blades ain't as important as brakes, but you get my point.

Not to mention, wheel cylinder kits are like 3 bucks.

Remember, there's a reason complete wheel cylinders are available around 10 bucks each. They are cheap crap.

I agree my front original ones are still solid but when I bought a 8 3/4 rear end and no cylinders were in it, dag nab it

I had a brand new W/C leak on my Dart. Put the old one back on, and no issues, so my vote goes for rebuilding any chance you get.

I'll check that again but I'm telling you it's dry as can be! More investigation this weekend when I take the wheels off.

If you are not gonna drive it till then,block the brake pedal down an inch or two. This will close the compensating port and prevent the M/C from going dry;as well as slowing the rear leak to nearly zero.

If you are not gonna drive it till then,block the brake pedal down an inch or two. This will close the compensating port and prevent the M/C from going dry;as well as slowing the rear leak to nearly zero.

^^^^^^^ Him pretty fart smucker.. lol

good one AJ..

I had a brand new W/C leak on my Dart. Put the old one back on, and no issues, so my vote goes for rebuilding any chance you get.

Would have done that if I had cores... At least I didn't put the crap on the fron as well... I'll look for rebuilds or maybe another brand

You want me to do what? Apply pressure to the pedal so the m/c is cut off from draining?

As to RRR suggestion-- I had to do an emergency rear wheel cylinder repair on a 67 malibu some years ago,(Sunday evening 2 hours from home)-- so I took the w/c apart, used emery cloth & my finger to hone, cleaned & reused the cups & springs & drove that baby home-- in fact that w/c never failed until the car was sold.

This was before the China invasion-- my point is that they can take some abuse & still work.
Lawrence

I used to have some issues rebuilding WC's back in the day, since I did not own a brake hone. But I would do so all day long versus an overseas part. Good point there RRR.

I put 4 new WC's from NAPA on the '62 Dart a year ago.... no problems.

You want me to do what? Apply pressure to the pedal so the m/c is cut off from draining?

Sorta; just jam something between the bottom of the steering wheel and to push the brake pedal down between 1 and 2 inches.
Oh and, as Ben(post 13) said, either pull the brake light fuse or disconnect the battery

-
Back