Rear end swap

-

Orange67

Reaction score
So I took the original 7 1/4 rear end of of my 67 Barracuda and am putting in a Moser fabricated 8 3/4 rear end. After centering the wheels the diff housing is only like 1 or 2 cm from the gas tank. I know the gas tank is not the original but as far as I can tell it looks to be stock size. Has anyone else run into this on a rear end swap? What should I do.... just get a fuel cell in the trunk? That's about all I can figure to do at this point.

How about putting a smooth radiused dent in the tank???? Easiest, cheapest route?? The rear end doesn't move much front to back but it does rotate a little.

So I took the original 7 1/4 rear end of of my 67 Barracuda and am putting in a Moser fabricated 8 3/4 rear end. After centering the wheels the diff housing is only like 1 or 2 cm from the gas tank. I know the gas tank is not the original but as far as I can tell it looks to be stock size. Has anyone else run into this on a rear end swap? What should I do.... just get a fuel cell in the trunk? That's about all I can figure to do at this point.
That seems way to close. The closest I've seen is about 1 inch. Mine in my dart was 3 inches closer than my friend's original 340 duster. Keep in mind, the factory axle location was forward of the center of the wheel openings.

Just spitballin' here, if you loosen the straps is there any play to slide the tank back a tad?

Just spitballin' here, if you loosen the straps is there any play to slide the tank back a tad?
The more I think About it, the more I wonder if he’s slid the axle back farther than factory.

Not to compare a 67’ Barracuda to a 70’s Ford Pinto, but, wasn’t that part of the problem with the Pinto?
Having the fuel tank too close to the suspension and partially exposed, when rear ended the tank struck a shock mount or something else protruding, puncturing the tank, spewing fuel and going up in flames.

My vote would be to give yourself more of a crumple zone.

*after centering the wheels*

that is probably the issue right there
that, and sagging springs?

Not to compare a 67’ Barracuda to a 70’s Ford Pinto, but, wasn’t that part of the problem with the Pinto?
Having the fuel tank too close to the suspension and partially exposed, when rear ended the tank struck a shock mount or something else protruding, puncturing the tank, spewing fuel and going up in flames.

My vote would be to give yourself more of a crumple zone.
Yes but on the Mopars, there is also the spare tire well and a large gap between the rear of the tank and the rear bumpers. The pinto, there was not. Tank was right behind the bumper, like right up against it

Don't you just sit the perches on the dimple on a stock leaf spring?
I have super stock springs. Yep. They are on the dimple. Had to shim the whole axle backwards. The tire was rubbing on the front of the wheel well when I first installed it.

They are new super stock springs.

time for some pictures brother
you didnt install the springs backwards did you ?

and what tires are you running on which wheels with how much backspace?
there is a fair chance that is where the rub is (hardy-har-ha) and no amount of axle wiggling will fit too big a tire of the wrong amount of backspace

Maybe I have the wrong springs? They also are very high even with the lowering blocks. The shock is not fully attached of course. Its just dangling for now basically as I'm test fitting everything.

20200923_201844.jpg

20200923_200850.jpg

20200923_200520.jpg

20200923_200443.jpg

20200923_200618.jpg

I stretched my wheel openings up front on my new quarter panels before installing. Cut off about an 11/2 and then tin knocked the lip back on. This is what it looked like before any bondo. I was real happy with the results. SS springs also.

145.jpg

146.jpg

147.jpg

148.1.jpg

148.2.jpg

148.3.jpg

148.4.jpg

148.5.jpg

148.jpg

The 461 spring goes on the left [driver's side].

That 461 number SS spring is recommended for a 3600 pound car, like B and E bodies.

That spacer is awful thick. Consider using a 1'' spacer with a 1/2'' rearward movement of the axle from stock.

I have super stock springs. Yep. They are on the dimple. Had to shim the whole axle backwards. The tire was rubbing on the front of the wheel well when I first installed it.

Then u haver too tall of a tire on it !

After seeing ur pics , most of the problem looks like that bulbous rear end , along with moving ur rear end back !
I have a dana 60 and an oversized tank , and have more room than that.

Then u haver too tall of a tire on it !

After seeing ur pics , most of the problem looks like that bulbous rear end , along with moving ur rear end back !
I have a dana 60 and an oversized tank , and have more room than that.
275 60R15. I dont think I would want to go much smaller than that.
Yah...diff is big.
I think maybe best to just take the fuel tank out and get a fuel cell. The diff fluid filler will probably always be a problem to get to unless I go that route.

I stretched my wheel openings up front on my new quarter panels before installing. Cut off about an 11/2 and then tin knocked the lip back on. This is what it looked like before any bondo. I was real happy with the results. SS springs also.

That's awesome you have the skill to do that. I don't think I would trust myself with that level of body work though.

View attachment 1715600110

View attachment 1715600111

View attachment 1715600112

View attachment 1715600113

View attachment 1715600114

View attachment 1715600115

View attachment 1715600116

View attachment 1715600117

View attachment 1715600118

I mounted a cell cell in place of my tank so I could fit 3" exhaust out the back. I got a filler neck similar to Pic and shorthened the stock neck(similar not mine) and used a gas rated hose to join them. Sorry I don't have pics but can take some soon when I can break away to fix my current starter issue.

Fuel hose.jpg

Fuel neck.jpg

Get rid of those lowering blocks, that's where your problem is

I think once you get it all together and weight on it, it will look fine

Most springs tend to settle a little after a while too

(But I will admit I like cars with a little bit of rake, so "looks fine" might not mean the same to you)

-
Back