Rear End

-

dbednarsky

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Dart I am restoring it had the 170 slant six in it, I am putting in a 318, with a 727 Trans, but trying to figure out which rear end is in it, as there are no visible markings, and can I use this rear, or do I need to find something else, and idea's? Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Most likely you have the small 7 1/4 rear in it.
It looks like this, You will be needing a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 for your V8

Attachments

• vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20041.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 223
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20045.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 201
It probably has a 7 1/4" rear in it. If there is a bolt on cover on the back of the housing that's what you have. Those are usable but not too strong. The 8 3/4" rear end has a smooth housing on the back and the carrier unit unbolts from the front. If you decide on one of those you need an A body one because of the width. You can find those for sale at swap meets, E-bay and on here from time to time. Because of their size and weight, hauling one home from a swap meet is your best bet unless you can find one close to home. Good luck, toolmanmike

Or you can run the little 7 1/4, but it will not hold up to hard driving and torch
I had a 70 barracuda 2 barrel 318 that came from the factory with a 7 1/4, it did not last long after I got it with 76k miles on it. The picture you see is under my 66 Valiant 170/6.

you may want to go with a little heavier duty rear. I know of a duster that somone dropped a hopped up 318 into without changing the rear, and he stripped the splines on the axles right off. My advice would be to go with an 8 1/4 at the very least, but a 8 3/4 would be better. Heres a little diagram to help identify your rear:

Attachments

• mopar%20axle.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 221
Here is what an 8 1/4 looks like if you are lucky enough to have one in your /6 car.
As you can see it is more round looking then the little 7 1/4 I posted

Attachments

• vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20014.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 200
I have a 1966 Dart I am restoring it had the 170 slant six in it, I am putting in a 318, with a 727 Trans, but trying to figure out which rear end is in it, as there are no visible markings, and can I use this rear, or do I need to find something else, and idea's? Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks

727's do not fit without mods in an 63-66 "A" body.

Thanks for the help everyone, and so quickly as well. I found a few kits online to get the 727 in without a problem, hopefully this works... As fas the Rear, looks like I do have the 7 1/4, so looks like I am on a quest for an 8 1/4 or so.... hmm. Fun but again thanks for all the quick replies and photos to help.. you guys are great, and I will keep you posted on the project

Welcome aboard this great site 8) as you can see there is many great tec's here and folks to cheer you on and enjoy your 66 Dart.

I enjoy a 66 Sedan myself, daily driver and kept the /6.

Attachments

• June third 2010 helping Creed Clean My Closet area OUT! 007.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 199
  • June third 2010 helping Creed Clean My Closet area OUT! 006.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 202
What is your intentions with this car. If its an around the town car,with a little spirited driving,I would go with a 904 and the 7.25,until it proves you wrong. My 74 came from the factory with this set-up,and it runs great. Even love the 273 highway gear it has.75mph at 3000 all day long!!!

Welcome aboard this great site 8) as you can see there is many great tec's here and folks to cheer you on and enjoy your 66 Dart.

I enjoy a 66 Sedan myself, daily driver and kept the /6.
Let's see......2010 minus 1966.....OK Victoria's old enough the drink that beer! :)

it's gonna be a restored show car, but also want to do a little tracking with it. The motor is gonna be a 318 punched 030 over with forged rods and crank, mopar performance purple cam 292/508 mopar performance aluminum indy heads, haven't decided on the intake manifold or carb yet, nor the electronics, but with these intentions not sure the 7.25 is going to hold up. I have the 727 already so I am going to stick with that, my buddy is building it for me, since he builds race tranny's anyway i figure he is a good person for that job.

it's gonna be a restored show car, but also want to do a little tracking with it. The motor is gonna be a 318 punched 030 over with forged rods and crank, mopar performance purple cam 292/508 mopar performance aluminum indy heads, haven't decided on the intake manifold or carb yet, nor the electronics, but with these intentions not sure the 7.25 is going to hold up. I have the 727 already so I am going to stick with that, my buddy is building it for me, since he builds race tranny's anyway i figure he is a good person for that job.

Lots of guys on here swear by the 8 1/4, but I prefer the 8 3/4. Not only is it much stronger it is also easier to service, and if you are going to go to the track, with simple hand tools you could swap in a track gear, race all day, and swap it back out for the drive home. only takes about 20 minutes to change the pig.

a little off this topic but does anyone know where to get a set of trunk extentions for the 66 dart? someone told me the 66 cuda had the same ones any truth to this. please help me.... thanks

Ok.....Definitely an A-body 8 3/4.

-
Back