Rear ended 66 cuda advice

-
That is my biggest fear when driving our older cars. A couple years ago a friend was pulling into a cruise in with his mint 66 Dart convertible and some dumbass hit him in the rear. I'm glad your daughter is ok and the car is repairable. Stand your ground with the insurance company.

Sweet 66, I had avery similar problem about 5 years ago with my very own 1966 Barracuda, 318, 8.75 rear, auto..ran high 13's. I drove my car to the track and home again every weekend. I was coming home one afternoon when an old man backed out of his driveway and t-boned her. He had stomped on the gas instead of brake? Anyway, I had saved every recipt from work done to car, it was over 8,000. The insurance company paid me every dime, I also kept the car as part of the deal. I sold many parts from that car, rear end custom built for future racing with faster motor cost me 3000.00 alone. Just be firm in demanding the true value or challenge them to repair it. Good Luck, if it is a reputable insurance company and you are not "at fault" it is a no brainer. Now if you do not have reciepts it is a whole new battle....

I had a GMC Typhoon stolen.
I made it very clear up front this was not a Jimmy or Blazer, as the insurance company started the conversation with.
I used Ebay and Autotrader.com to bring them examples of similiar condition vehicles, and used specialty sites, to document the specialty nature and rarity of the vehicle.

Be nice until it is time to not be nice. Human nature says that you take care of the easiest projects first, so you need to present your case well, be nice, so that you make your case as easy as possible for them to deal with. (Who would you prefer to deal with, nice guy or raging #$$hole?) Document, make your case, and you should come out ahead of the game.

Excellent advice, all! Thanks for the votes of confidence, I feel much better after seeing the wreck pics. It is not near as bad as I thought.

Below is another pic of the car, with my daughter at the wheel. She loves the car, and has even nicknamed it "Beck". Bad thing is, we had it down for 2 weeks to rebuild the engine, and she only had it back for 1.5 weeks before this happened. She is now back to driving the Minivan. Ugghhh!!

Excellent advice, all! Thanks for the votes of confidence, I feel much better after seeing the wreck pics. It is not near as bad as I thought.

Below is another pic of the car, with my daughter at the wheel. She loves the car, and has even nicknamed it "Beck". Bad thing is, we had it down for 2 weeks to rebuild the engine, and she only had it back for 1.5 weeks before this happened. She is now back to driving the Minivan. Ugghhh!!
Glad to hear your daughter is alright! I think I may have found the problem....unless you're in a British Commonwealth country, She's driving on the wrong side of the road! :) "Beck" looks totally fixable.....I've bought and sold worse than that. Bring it to a good resto shop, have it fixed, and send the bill to the other insurance company. Don't just accept their hand picked "bondo and go" body shop. Make sure the job is done correctly. If there is no mud in that body now, there shouldn't be any after it's restored. Good luck in your battle with the insurance company! We need to keep these 66's on the road!

I guess I got really lucky after reading some of these stories. My dart was totaled one afternoon coming home from work because some moron turned left in front of me. I was going 45 and only had enough time to lay two black stripes about 20 feet long, then right into the side of the box van. His insurance company paid me $10,000 about a week after the accident and gave me my car back for $500. Never want to do that again that's for sure. Here is a pic I took right after the crash.

OUCH!!!!! Much worse than mine!!!

Glad you got you $$$ quick, hope mine works out similarly...

OUCH!!!!! Much worse than mine!!!

Glad you got you $$$ quick, hope mine works out similarly...
It all worked out in the end. Besides my broken knee that took about six months of rehab to get back to good again it wasn't too bad. Good thing you have a appraisal. Even better that your daughter wasn't hurt. Good luck.

Here is what I did with most of the money. I re did it as I had wanted to.

Hey jimmyray - They say that the car makes the man. I think in this case the lady makes the car! Your daughter is a beautiful young lady. Glad she's healthy. Please keep us posted on your dealings with the insurance company. Any one of us might be there some day, you never know.

-
Back