rear ends to choose from?

-

project360

Reaction score
i dont see me in an 8 3/4 any time soon, and NOS doesnt matter much, so what are my best options... something narrower would be nice as we are moving the springs and perch's in 1.5"

mopar 8 3/4
mopar 8 1/4
Dana 60
ford 9in.
ford 8.8 ( i heard is an exact match) by--width and perch--
ford 8 in.
chevy 10 bolt

i dont see me in an 8 3/4 any time soon, and NOS doesnt matter much, so what are my best options... something narrower would be nice as we are moving the springs and perch's in 1.5"

mopar 8 3/4... pricey and strong, easy to work on and swap gears
mopar 8 1/4 ... under rated, gears inexpensive. (Actually not hard to do gears)
Dana 60 ... very pricey. strongest of them all!
ford 9in. ... an interesting idea
ford 8.8 ( i heard is an exact match) by--width and perch-- There is info here on a swap done...somewhere here.
ford 8 in. better choice out there...er...above
chevy 10 bolt junk

The MoPar 8-1/4 is very underrated rear end. It is strong enuff for most applications.
Are you raceing?
Does your engine have ALOT of torque?

If yes to the above, you may wanna step up.

I did a big bearing 9" in mine because I couldn't find an 8 3/4 around here in the bolt pattern that I needed. I did already have the 9" for another project. I narrowed it myself, ordered custom axles, detroit locker and 3.89 gears. I even installed rear disc brakes from a explorer with an 8.8 axle for $40 (with minor mods). A 9" is very easy to work on, like the 8 3/4, but the furd has a ton more gear options.

Attachments

• 4link.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 647
  • Rear member.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 633
  • Rear discs.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 603
  • New dart2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 620
if u have the tools, u can build a brand new dana 60 with all new parts, housing, axles, gears from strange for 1200...

Hope thats not a nail in your tire.Nice job

I have been looking around for an 8 3/4 for my 73 swinger for my big block swap for a while I gave up and started to switch gears got a call today from a local rear end guy and he has a 35 spline dana 60 w 3.73 gears 43" between the perches already for 800.00 delivered to my door!

sure sounds like a good deal, doin research now to make sure it will fit ya just never know when the Mopar Gods will smile on ya!

I went with a 9", buddy donated a Curry 9+ center housing, axle tubes cost me $70, so I am into a brand new 9" housing for $70. Last I spoke to my buddy he also stumbled accross a 35 spline 9" locker, so for a case or 2 of Bud Light.....

Badart, you put a ford, Ford, FORD rear end in your MOPAR, what is this Mopar world coming to?

and Inkjunkie, why don't you tell these nice people what transmission you're using :)

Gee, I don't know how to feel about this? I come to this forum to find serious Mopar peoples and I find a Ford world. Between the Ford Mustang II front ends disguised as a Mopar alteration called the alterkation and since when did Mopar go torsion bar-less? Then we have others using Ford rears, Ford brakes and God know what else and too top it all off, many here get on my case when I mention Chevy.

I guess it all depends on who you are according to the Mopar gurus who can do no wrong while using brand X and how they use it. Wait until the EPA starts adding another 5% ethanol to the already 10% ethanol content to the gasoline and you'll all have garage rods, so to speak as I will be driving my ethanol induced LT1, six speed Silverado truck cross country.

The only 2 parts I used in my 64 Signet which are from another manufacturer is the Toyota master cylinder which hooks up to a light on the dash which tells me when its low on fluid and the Toyota alternator with its built in regulator, recommended by JR Engineering who frequents this forum, but at least those parts can be replaced easily with the backwoods, old school, outdated mentally challenged Mopar parts who were once manufactured in the good ol' U.S of A but have been long gone leaving us to deal with inferior manufacturing processes from people who sometimes do not speak our language, but that's cool cause the parts boxes are printed in the U.S.A.

:) :) :) :) :) Have a nice day :) :) :) :) :)

First of all I am not a purest and never claimed to be, besides isn't that what hot rodding is all about? Using what you have?

Badart, you put a ford, Ford, FORD rear end in your MOPAR, what is this Mopar world coming to?

and Inkjunkie, why don't you tell these nice people what transmission you're using :)

Gee, I don't know how to feel about this? I come to this forum to find serious Mopar peoples and I find a Ford world. Between the Ford Mustang II front ends disguised as a Mopar alteration called the alterkation and since when did Mopar go torsion bar-less? Then we have others using Ford rears, Ford brakes and God know what else and too top it all off, many here get on my case when I mention Chevy.

I guess it all depends on who you are according to the Mopar gurus who can do no wrong while using brand X and how they use it. Wait until the EPA starts adding another 5% ethanol to the already 10% ethanol content to the gasoline and you'll all have garage rods, so to speak as I will be driving my ethanol induced LT1, six speed Silverado truck cross country.

The only 2 parts I used in my 64 Signet which are from another manufacturer is the Toyota master cylinder which hooks up to a light on the dash which tells me when its low on fluid and the Toyota alternator with its built in regulator, recommended by JR Engineering who frequents this forum, but at least those parts can be replaced easily with the backwoods, old school, outdated mentally challenged Mopar parts who were once manufactured in the good ol' U.S of A but have been long gone leaving us to deal with inferior manufacturing processes from people who sometimes do not speak our language, but that's cool cause the parts boxes are printed in the U.S.A.

Wow.. get over it.

You're starting to sound like the stuck up snob at the car show who won't talk to me, because I own a 70 Dart, and it isn't worth as much at Barrett Jackson as your POS Camaro, or Corvette, or million dollar E body.

Maybe not everyone can afford an 8 3/4, maybe the only options in there budget are the Ford rears, because obviously they're more plentiful and cheaper. At least with using them, they are able to go out and enjoy driving their Mopars. At least the Ford parts they chose to use, were made in America, not a foreign country. Next time I see you in an argument about people driving imports, and you're bashing them, well I guess it turns out you're just as 'horrible' as they are.

Again, get over it.

Don't worry Mike, I talk to everyone, at least I did when I traveled with Conklin shows and worked PNE.

I'm not bigoted, stuck up or a snob and treat everyone the same. I have a different outlook on life then many my age. I am not a purest by a long shop yet can take criticism a lot better then compliments. All my vehicles have been modified in one way or another with whichever works for me. I only typed the above reply because of what I have gotten here in the past from my modifications and I guess that will go on from what I'm about to do next :)

So someone at one point bashed something you did for a mod, that doesn't mean you need to do the same. I don't know about you, but I come on this site to learn about the hobby, and to figure out problems I am having with the Mopars. When I see people bashing one another about their Mopar projects, then I really wonder, as you stated, what is this Mopar world coming to?
Try showing support instead, maybe then people will give you respect for using foreign parts.

8n 3/4 in my opinion is the way to go, as stated before super easy to work on, readily available in junk yard still(here anyway) stong, and looks good. Ive never had a 8 1/4 because I can't seam to find them.

mopar 8 3/4... pricey and strong, easy to work on and swap gears
mopar 8 1/4 ... under rated, gears inexpensive. (Actually not hard to do gears)
Dana 60 ... very pricey. strongest of them all!
ford 9in. ... an interesting idea
ford 8.8 ( i heard is an exact match) by--width and perch-- There is info here on a swap done...somewhere here.
ford 8 in. better choice out there...er...above
chevy 10 bolt junk

The MoPar 8-1/4 is very underrated rear end. It is strong enuff for most applications.
Are you raceing?
Does your engine have ALOT of torque?

If yes to the above, you may wanna step up.

What are 8 1/4s rated at? Iv'e never had one, and lucky enough to find 8n 3/4s.

I have been looking around for an 8 3/4 for my 73 swinger for my big block swap for a while I gave up and started to switch gears got a call today from a local rear end guy and he has a 35 spline dana 60 w 3.73 gears 43" between the perches already for 800.00 delivered to my door!

sure sounds like a good deal, doin research now to make sure it will fit ya just never know when the Mopar Gods will smile on ya!

Thats a killer deal if its what he says...for me it's nothing but the tried and true 8 3/4,it can handle just about anything you put in front of it...

I really dont care if I get banned for this. You sir are a douche bag.:thebirdm:

mopar 8 3/4
mopar 8 1/4
Dana 60
ford 9in.
ford 8.8 ( i heard is an exact match) by--width and perch--
ford 8 in.
chevy 10 bolt

The 8.8 will have to have one side (long side) of the axle shortened to the length of the short side, and another short side axle to go in the narrowed side. After it is narrowed it will be about an inch or an inch and a half narrower than a factory 8.25, at least the one I am doing is

I really dont care if I get banned for this. You sir are a douche bag.:thebirdm:

Ohhh boy...winter is here.

OK everybody, take a deep breath. You too Hotlines. LOL!
Lets not get carried away now.

What are 8 1/4s rated at? Iv'e never had one, and lucky enough to find 8n 3/4s.

I've never heard of any factory rear being "Rated."

My buddy has taken his factory 8-3/4 into the low 9's in a all steel 69 Dart with a 500 inch Indy headed rocketship. The only upgrade was axles. It did give up after awhile though.

Holy **** Batman, Catwomen is on the rag again.

Try to get along boy's, it is all about opinions and what you desire.
They are all good in the right combination.

My 440 6 pak Cuda - Dana
My 63 330 -8 3/4 489 case
My Swinger - 8 3/4 741 case
My Hemi S/S - Ford 9" as some Hemi S/S run. And I am as hard core Mopar as they come.

Again, Go Dana...Go Home...

mu90mr.jpg

eqwhp2.jpg

Man, I must not be welcome here because I have a Phord 9" rear end and a GM alternator on my Dart.

-
Back