Rear Fold Down Seat - Are they more desirable?

-

1965t5

Reaction score
I just picked up a 75 that appears to be fully loaded and has the rear folding seat option. Is this a desirable feature in the world of Dusters? Were they only put in special versions? My son and I are new to the A-Bodys, but somehow now have 2 of them. The 75 was meant to be a parts car, but is actually in pretty good condition too and complete.

Yes and no.

I like a fold down rear seat option. I had a Duster with that as well as a moon roof on a Landau roof, 3 spd manual, 318, P/S, P/B, sure grip w/3.21's. Blue car, black interior.

I'd love another one myself.

I know the option comes in handy if you find a large part at a swap meet!

I had a Dart Sport with a fold down and I have 2 Dusters with 'em now. Never fold them down, and they add weight. And, I don't like how the back dash board looks.
So, my vote is obviously no, I don't like 'em :(

Yeah I'm with Rumble, it depends on if you're actually going to use the fold down seat.

They made more standard back seat Dusters and Dart Sports than they did cars with the fold down rear seat, but they also made plenty of fold down seat cars so they're not exactly "rare". As an option I don't think it really adds any monetary value, and because of the additional components used they probably do add a little weight. Not a lot, but some. However, if you're going to use your car to haul stuff, they are VERY useful. I actually converted my standard rear seat '74 Duster over to a fold down rear seat using a parts car, and I think it's a great option to have. But, I also daily drive my car, and have been known to frequent wrecking yards and pick up fenders, doors, rear axles, etc for my other projects with it. So yeah, very useful. But there seem to be fewer and fewer people that actually use their A-bodies like that, so, I'm not sure I would call it a highly desirable option for most folks.

Here's the "how-to" on the conversion I did on my car, in case anyone is interested. It's not 100% stock, I left the package tray more like a standard seat car. How To: Fold down seat conversion

And here's a picture of it in use, 275/35/18's on 18x9's sitting on the fold down, 295/35/18's on 18x10's in the trunk and pass through. Try that in a standard seat duster...

IMG_5253_zps6643d51a.jpg

IMG_5252_zps349f909e.jpg

Last edited:
I really like that conversion you did. Looks great! I may just do that too and if I do - I will seek your guidance if thats okay.

I didnt even know you could get them until i got mine and Rani Day Auto asked if i had one. I think it is a Very cool option. Adds to the cars Character and i do like to haul stuff. Its sort of like having a Small Truck.

Last edited:
I wish I had one...

Jeff

I have one in my 73 parts car that is complete and in great shape..... If I had more ambition to work on my 72 it would be going in it. My buddy goes everywhere with me and it would really give him space lol....

IMG_20160206_170315664.jpg

Nice pup!
Nice pup!

He is my Buddy for sure. I took him in 2 years ago and have not looked back since..... It really opened my eyes to how sweet and gentle Senior dogs are and age should not discourage someone from helping out a lost soul like my Pudd was lol.....

I think you posted somewhere about 4 of these rascals you own. Treat em' right and they will give you more than any human ever can.....

JW

-
Back