Rear Leaf Springs

-
Like I was saying, the back should drop an inch or so. I have SS springs and needed to do the same thing but did not want to elongate any of the holes in the body. I doubt its a problem to do so but I wanted to be on the safe side and got adjustable hangers. It gives the same effect as "flipping" the hangers. I got mine on Ebay but Mancini also has them for a little bit more. http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/manciniracing20.html

Also, See my post #7 on this thread for an illustration of how they work...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=56273

The amount you need to open the holes is unbelievably small.

The amount you need to open the holes is unbelievably small.

I never bothered to check how much the holes need to be opened but if its as small as 1968... says, "flipping" is a good option also. Either way, "flipping" or adjsutable hangers seems to be the best way to go. Its very easy to do, you will have good spring, adjustability and it will cost less. Just be sure when you are done to check the pinion angle and make sure it's good or else you will get vibration and risk u-joint failure.

Still, check out #7 post in the above link.

.Looks fine to me.Nothing looks worse than a nice looking Muscle car dragging ***. Jim

I put a set of the whitney springs on my 69 cuda and it sat to high also. I did the flipping of the front hangers and it dropped at least 1.5 inches. It sits real good now. Great looking duster. Btw my family is from the Shore.

Trust me, its not.
Your probably not use to seeing it sit higher.I think it should drop in time.Mine sits a little high,but I,ve got 15,s on back.

mt.nemo 4.JPG

That is way to high for a stock car like that. Espo will make your springs at stock hieght ot +1 or+2" higher.

I bought the MP XHD's fearing they would really jack the back end up... I bought two Left springs as the right side (passenger) spring does have ~1.5" lift compared to the left spring. I'm please with how it looks in the back. The picture below is just after I installed the new springs but before I had the torsion bars adjusted to raise the front end a bit. It now sits level.

v47a.jpg

I put a set of the whitney springs on my 69 cuda and it sat to high also. I did the flipping of the front hangers and it dropped at least 1.5 inches. It sits real good now. Great looking duster. Btw my family is from the Shore.

oh yeah? What's the last name? I probably know them....Thanks! D

Ever thought about just having your original springs re-arched. Thats what I'm going to do when I get around to it. The originals are 6 leaf but the XHDs are 5 (but each is a little thicker).

I bought the MP XHD's fearing they would really jack the back end up... I bought two Left springs as the right side (passenger) spring does have ~1.5" lift compared to the left spring.

H22A4.... Where did you find this info on the lift difference and why would they build in different lifts (assuming the frame mounts are symetrical)? I really like the way your car sits and am looking for a similar stance for my 68 cuda but I had never heard of the lift difference. My OLD stock springs sit 1" lower on the passenger side already (because they are worn out :-D ). Also where did you order from that let you buy 2 left springs?

H22A4.... Where did you find this info on the lift difference and why would they build in different lifts (assuming the frame mounts are symetrical)? I really like the way your car sits and am looking for a similar stance for my 68 cuda but I had never heard of the lift difference. My OLD stock springs sit 1" lower on the passenger side already (because they are worn out :-D ). Also where did you order from that let you buy 2 left springs?

I went into a local Chrysler dealership and ordered the leaf springs out of the MP book. I noticed the two different part numbers for left and right and asked the counter fellow if that meant one had more lift or if one was different from the other. The fellow didn't know so he called the wharehouse and the response back was "not sure". There are no returns on the MP parts so I gambled that there wouldn't be a difference between the two even though in the back of my mind I was thinking there had to be a difference or why would they create another part number? So I bought a left and right one and a few days later they came in. We lined them up on the counter and sure enough, the right spring had the leaves positioned differently and which would result in a higher ride on that side. Since I couldn't return the right one, I did the install to see how noticeable it would be and it was noticeable. So I went back and ordered another left spring (from the same fellow who entered my previous order), installed it on the right side and then finished rear brakes and driveshaft work.

I've got the unused right spring sitting in my garage so if you want a higher lift on both sides of your car, just buy one right spring and I'll gladly sell you the boat anchor in my garage at a great price.

I went into a local Chrysler dealership and ordered the leaf springs out of the MP book. I noticed the two different part numbers for left and right and asked the counter fellow if that meant one had more lift or if one was different from the other. The fellow didn't know so he called the wharehouse and the response back was "not sure". There are no returns on the MP parts so I gambled that there wouldn't be a difference between the two even though in the back of my mind I was thinking there had to be a difference or why would they create another part number? So I bought a left and right one and a few days later they came in. We lined them up on the counter and sure enough, the right spring had the leaves positioned differently and which would result in a higher ride on that side. Since I couldn't return the right one, I did the install to see how noticeable it would be and it was noticeable. So I went back and ordered another left spring (from the same fellow who entered my previous order), installed it on the right side and then finished rear brakes and driveshaft work.

I've got the unused right spring sitting in my garage so if you want a higher lift on both sides of your car, just buy one right spring and I'll gladly sell you the boat anchor in my garage at a great price.

Ok, here's my stupid question...who in the hell wants their car to sit higher or lower on one side or the other?? I have got no where with MP so I am stuck with springs I can't and won't use on my car. So I guess someone here is gonna get a hell of a deal on a set of MP XHD springs......any takers????

Ok, I talked to Laura today from ESPO about my spring issue. Sounds like 1" above stock would be the ticket. This would allow for a lil settling over time and still be within an acceptable height for years. Anyone ever purchsed a 1" above spring for a Duster here? Possibly a pic? Thanks! Dave

Lets remember one thing. Over the years of abody production, there were likely HUNDREDS of assembly line part numbers for springs and MP is trying to service them all with one. So they are expecting the same spring to hold up everything from a 3000lb 108wb slant six stripper to a 3800lb 111wb Shock Bumpers v8wA/C 76 Dart. it can't work. I just bought some Mancini springs and the arc doesn't look too severe on them. we'll find out soon enough. They're going in a 108wb 71 4 door.

Your exactly right tractorfix! Thats exactly what Laura from ESPO said when I told her I had MP springs installed! The MP catalog states lighter cars may sit higher, I just didn't expect my car to look like it had a pair of hijacker air shocks installed! I am going to post the MP springs for sale soon. They will make someone happy I'm sure. Dave

Here's a pic of my car, Calvert Racing -1". Springs are in the factory location with the exception that the hangars were flipped for -1"more
l_e1916edff6be45259c88783f713bcb2cj.jpg

Ok, here's my stupid question...who in the hell wants their car to sit higher or lower on one side or the other?? I have got no where with MP so I am stuck with springs I can't and won't use on my car. So I guess someone here is gonna get a hell of a deal on a set of MP XHD springs......any takers????
I believe when you buy a set of SS or XHD springs from MP the right side spring is built to set that side slightly higher. The reasoning behind that is torque. Don't know if that answers your question , but I've never seen an even set of MP SS or XHD springs.

I believe when you buy a set of SS or XHD springs from MP the right side spring is built to set that side slightly higher. The reasoning behind that is torque. Don't know if that answers your question , but I've never seen an even set of MP SS or XHD springs.

This is what I experienced with the MP XHD springs I ordered. The right spring leaves were set differently and when I installed it on the car, the right side sat higher.

-
Back