Rear Main Seal orientation

-

ken5124

65 Valiant Signet
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the seal in this picture is installed the correct way?
Sorry for the grainy picture wanted to provide a real closeup

Up is towards the inside of the engine, down- to the flywheel

Attachments

• IMG_3150.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 374
That photo makes my eyes hurt. Please buy a real camera

Felpro make an orange one that has two lips one inner and one outer. That one you have doesn't look like it fits very well.

In another thread I saw a comment that the " hollow part" faces the interior of the engine. Mine looks like the hollow part is facing the outside ???

Anyone have the part number for the orange Felpro one you talk about ?

Don't forget to put the ends slightly offset to the block and cap.
Also, I put just a tiny dab of rtv where the ends come together, and a tiny little bead from the seal out to the end of the main cap to keep oil from getting through where the cap and block mate up.
Some do and some don't, but it's my own preference.

How many others do this anyway?

Is the consensus that I will have to at least release the tension on some of the main caps to get the seal half from the motor out ?

I tried a punch and a hammer and it's not budging..I don't want to risk crank damage.

Or am I gonna be removing the whole crank from the block. ( prefer not to )

When I removed the half from the cap, it seems there was some sort of adhesive used on the backside, so I presume that it was used on the block side as well/

I'm gonna say if there was adhesive in the cap groove, probably so in the block

Also, I put just a tiny dab of rtv where the ends come together, and a tiny little bead from the seal out to the end of the main cap to keep oil from getting through where the cap and block mate up.

Trail, this is the way I've done it for 43 years. This is the way I was taught and the way I've been doing them ever since.

Pulled the crank out today, so that I could get at and remove the main seal from the block . Not sure I should be happy with what I found on the rod bearings.

Expert advice required.. PLease !! Not sure what would have caused this... bearings affected are from throughout the block, worst at the back of the engine..

I did have some pieces of plastic that had broken off the bottom of a distributor a couple years ago( which I did not realize) , which I found in the upper part of the oil pump pickup.

probably a dumb question, but replacement required ?? Top halves do not show this type of wear and the crankshaft main bearings look fine, as well as the crankshaft surfaces.

Causes???

Attachments

• IMG_3153.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3154.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3155.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_3156.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 241
Is this high mileage engine? If so don't be alarmed, I've tore down a bunch that looked like that. It's whats called long term wear. Mic the crank and see how much wear it has.

That is not good. What engine do you have. In that case I would have it the crank checked and rods re sized. That amount of wear in 8500 miles is not normal. I would look at a oiling problem.

Thanks, I do not recall ever having low oil pressure.. will probably change out the oil pump as well to be sure.

I am hoping I can just replace the bearings.. It is the rod half that is affected and not the cap piece.

Crank looks real good, no marks, scratches or anything.

I do the same.

Thanks, I do not recall ever having low oil pressure.. will probably change out the oil pump as well to be sure.

I am hoping I can just replace the bearings.. It is the rod half that is affected and not the cap piece.

Crank looks real good, no marks, scratches or anything.

Throw a new set of bearings in it and get on down the road with it! Along with that new oil pump and pick up.

make sure to prime the engine after you get it together, some of that wear could have been caused by dry initial start up.

I think that is exactly what I will do MAd Dart.

The present bearings are sealed power 2130 cp .10US I will get the same ones.

I usually only use the car in the summers and then During the winters it only get's started once in a while ( once a month or so).. And while I try to crank it over for a bit before it starts, I have probably caused this myself.

Thanks for all the guidance.

-
Back