Rear shackle mount (leaf relocation)

-

swest

Reaction score
Need some help, 72 dodge dart, inboard leaf kit, i understand the front and all but the rear sent me on a loop.

Do i put the bushing for the rear shackle in the existing hole?
Hows the angle?

Make new hole?

Cheers
Appreciate the help even pics of what you have done.

we use 1/2 by 1/2 angle iron on either side of a peice of tubeing (correct inside diameter for I.D. of bushing) welded onto the bottom of the frame rail, gives the car a little more lift in the rear to!

if using S/S springs its 53 inches from the center eyelet to rear eyelet...

might be the same for regular springs... should be

you can kinda see it here... i can take better pics 2morrow

Attachments

• 100_3482.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 379
Thats an idea, any pics, wanted the low profile pro street look, but if i weld the tube real close to the frame it shouldnt lift too much?

I can see a bit. how much of a lift? This is a good thread since i couldnt find one with this info. Might be good for others as well.

we use 1/2 by 1/2 angle iron on either side of a peice of tubeing (correct inside diameter for I.D. of bushing) welded onto the bottom of the frame rail, gives the car a little more lift in the rear to!

if using S/S springs its 53 inches from the center eyelet to rear eyelet...

might be the same for regular springs... should be

maybe an inch or two? figure the stock hanger is centered in the middle of the frame rail and the tube weld right on the bottom

or do like i did on my AFX, weld a tube into the rail... which i will be changing for the tube method for height

Attachments

• AFX 2 015.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 342
The weld under the frame is a option i will consider, thanks for the advice.

I know i can weld into the frame rail but wondering if anybody used the existing hole and if it worked out for them.

maybe an inch or two? figure the stock hanger is centered in the middle of the frame rail and the tube weld right on the bottom

or do like i did on my AFX, weld a tube into the rail... which i will be changing for the tube method for height

I would set the car on the ground without the shackles attached and see where the spring sits on the frame rail. This will dictate where the shackle needs to be.

I put them in the frame rail, as listed above. Took awhile to ream out the hole with a dremel, ARGHH!!! I will be posting pictures of the install soon.

I lowered the hole to give me more room when the shackle angles back. I also welded a washer to reinforce the frame.

Attachments

• rear relocate 003.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 261
a slick thing to do is use the rear brachet that bolts to the frame, cut the frame notched to the dimensions of the bracket slide the bracket in and weld away. keeps the frame strong and lowers it for my application

And im guessing to know where to center my shackle i would just lower the car down with the front attached to see where the rear go?

-
Back