rear springs (yes again)

-

saabfan9

Reaction score
hey guys i know this subject has been beat to death (please bare with me).... i have a '74 dart i need new springs flat/sag..i like the taller look i was planning on putting some 15" in wheels. i was looking at ss springs, does anyone have pictures with these springs (15" wheels a big plus, i wonder what size i could run).... or are the OE HD springs better? HELP!!!

1974 car...1975 15" steel wheels (off of a c body)....and want to run 1968 style dog dish style hub caps

SS Springs on a 69 Valiant, and a 68 Dart. --

Attachments

• Other Wheels - 7.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 433
  • Dart 68.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 430
Here is my 73 with 864 SS springs and 275/60-15 tires

Attachments

• 100_0147.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 451
Have you ridden in a car with the SS springs? Compared to your stock springs, they ride very harsh and depending on what you have on there now, may need heavier shocks, too.

Also, have you considered having your original springs re-arched? You could choose your ride height that way. Whichever way you go, get springs that raise your car an inch or so higher than you want. That way you can spacer them down to the height you actually want AND have some wiggle room if they eventually sag lower than you want by removing the spacers to get the height back.

Have you ridden in a car with the SS springs? Compared to your stock springs, they ride very harsh and depending on what you have on there now, may need heavier shocks, too.

Also, have you considered having your original springs re-arched? You could choose your ride height that way. Whichever way you go, get springs that raise your car an inch or so higher than you want. That way you can spacer them down to the height you actually want AND have some wiggle room if they eventually sag lower than you want by removing the spacers to get the height back.

^^ This ^^

They do ride a little rough, the springs were on it when I bought the car so I don't
have anything to compare it to. I'm going to put a 1 inch lowering block on this spring , it sits a little to high for me.

I was moving my 72 Valiant last night that has the stupid stock springs in it, they are so stiff you can't push the back end down. I have not drove the car in 10 years but those springs will be in the dumpster before the car goes back on the road.

WOW now i am afraid i made the wrong choice. i went with the ss springs hoping to get the rear up because right now it is sagging bad. the po put these crazy long shackles and air shocks on it. please tell me i didn't make a mistake, should i get oe springs?

if it were me, I would gas up the air shocks to whatever height I like and try that out first
(be sure to check the lines for leaks)

The Super Stock springs were racing springs and were not part of any production street vehicle. That's where HD and XHD springs came in. And those were on high performance cars. They were not on family cars. Guess why.

If ride means anything to you, go with a more stock oriented pair of springs. You can get them arched higher if you want. If ride height is the reason for going with the heavy springs, then that is not the best route. The Super Stock, XHD and HD springs were designed to hold the horsepower that those cars produce. Ride height and ride comfort were not priorities.

Again, most any ride height you would want is available with most any spring you would want. Just order the new springs with the additional arch or have your current springs re-arched at a competent spring shop.

I installed a set in my 62 B body recently and really like them. Like you, my original springs were flattened and sagging. Ride is comfortable and not too stiff in my case. Rear end will give to downward pressure. Measuring from the lower rocker, my rear is about 1 3/4" higher. I have taken some undulating roads pretty fast, on purpose and the springs work like they are suppose to.

Get stock length shackles.
New U bolts.
Torque to 45 ft/lbs and no more!
May need longer shocks.

Big issue in me choosing s.s. springs was price. They were $115 a piece from Summit and $16 to ship

There are various different super stock springs avalible, based on car weight. If you choose a set that is for a heavier car, then yes, it will ride rough.

-
Back