Rear Window defrost

-

JoeSBP

RLTW!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I have a 69 Valiant and I’m wanting(needing) the ability to defog/frost the rear window. I know this was an option on these cars, but I really don’t care about keeping it original. I just need it to work well. Anybody retrofitted something to work better than the factory system?

Yes, the factory system just blows air. We used to install a retrofit kit years back. It was a self adhesive grid wiring and switch that worked as well as the in glass grid. I can't seem to find one now though.

Last edited:
Let me go check the one I have in storage.
By golly you're right. But the coil is a resistor. It's a coil about a inch and a half long and a bit bigger than a pencil. I never saw that in there before.

Last edited:
Some time ago I remember looking at that coil and also thinking it was a heating coil. But I'm pretty sure it is only the resistor that allows for motor to go to a lower speed (in conjunction with the 2-speed switch). On DC motors they switch in resistors to change the fan speed.
Adding a little heater to the airstream would have helped.

Toolmanmike's first comment that factory system just blows air is correct.

Last edited:
Do all years just blow cabin air?

Good question. Possibly in some of the later years they may have put a heater in. But soon after came the heater grids in the window, and then it wasn't necessary.

Last edited:
Some time ago I remember looking at that coil and also thinking it was a heating coil. But I'm pretty sure it is only the resistor that allows for motor to go to a lower speed (in conjunction with the 2-speed switch). On DC motors they switch in resistors to change the fan speed.
Adding a little heater to the airstream would have helped.

Toolmanmike's first comment that factory system just blows air is correct.

A resistor shouldn't glow red as the one here does. It gets hot enough that warm air passes through the vent.

I haven't checked to see what year it is. I don't even remember the A-body it originally comes from, I pulled it from a '72 Duster I parted out.

Do all years just blow cabin air?

Yes all years just blow cabin air. I had one in my 68 Barracuda when I lived in Iowa. Works pretty lousy.

In 75/76? They offered a grid heating element rear window in Darts and possibly Duster/Dart-Sports. Pretty rare part.

I’ve seen the Darts ones for sale here in the past.

Give me a minute, I'm uploading a video to You tube.

I would call it a defogger and not a defroster. Low speed goes through the resistor. (of course) If it does glow after being on low speed it may add a little heat. There you have it!

Last edited:
-
Back