Rearend question for a 65 Cuda

-

55Redneck

Reaction score
What's the biggest, beefiest rearend that I can get with the small bolt wheel pattern that would be a bolt in for my 65? Even if it ain't a bolt in and I have to move some spring perches, that wouldn't be a problem.

Just some extra info here. I'm planning on a 360/4spd combo and I know that neither one of my stock 7 1/4 rear ends will stand up to how I plan on driving this car.:burnout:

I Think Any Early A-body 8 3/4 Rear Will Hold Up To The Task And Also Bolt Right In As Long As You Get The Ss Leaf Springs.

As far as stock axles go with the small bolt pattern, the 8.75" is your srongest choice. You could pretty easily have a Dana 60 made to that length with that bolt pattern, but it wouldn't be cheap.

This guy could set you up, and he isn't outside of driving distance for you to pick it up. SHipping on an axle can be hundreds of dollars. I'm not even sure what it would take to ship one across the border.

http://www.doctordiff.com/?page_id=5

the 8 3/4 is a bolt in,,,with orignal or super stock springs,,,you can get a great set of new springs at J,C,WHITNEY,, 2 sets are offered,,stock ride height or 2 inches of lift at ride height,,

also just to keep in mind,,beacuse these are easy to come by,,some ford 8 inch rears will fit right in,,,you may need to move the perches,,,some caom with rear disc brakes,,the plus side to this is easy to find ,,probably much cheaper on average then a 8 3/4,, one other plus side is,,and its also a down side the bolt pattern is 4 1/2,, and its not mopar,,,but hot rodders have been interchanging parts since the begining of hot rodding,,either are a better choice over the stock 7 1/4 for what your doing,,dana rear is way over kill for that project,, and heavy and costly,,good luck just my 2 cents

67-70 Mustang 8" and 9" are a bolt in. Does your 65 have disc brakes? If not swap over and change everything to 4.5 inch bolt pattern.

-
Back