Rebirth of the 73 4 door

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
Well after this happened http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=69816&highlight=dart+got+hit

I was pretty discouraged with the "flesh colored old man car" (as my brother in law calls it) and I let it sit for a few weeks then pulled the fender out of the tire and have been driving it as is.
I have been thinking about it and the way I see it is the only reason that I never did anything to it other than the usual upkeep was because I was the second owner, I know the whole history of the car and it was so original I didn't want to change anything. Now that it has been smushed and it will be fixed it wont be so "special" so F it!

The front end will be swapped out with straight pieces from Badart and greendart72 THANKS GUYS!!! and Ross will be repainting the whole car the stock color pretty soon (he already has the fenders and header panel and is cutting them in). We wont be going for show quality just a real nice driver that will look good at the shows.
Ross was going to go buy the paint so he can chime in with the details (feel free to post pics if you get any as well).

Other things on the to do list for the 73....

- Fix the small rust bubbles that are starting to pop through in the rear wheel lip area before they get worse.

- V8 T-bars in place of the slant ones (see if it make any difference).

- Install the 8 1/4 rear in place of the 7 1/4.

- Lower it about 2" (because lowered 4 doors are cool looking thats why!).

- Find and seal that Fing leak that is up behind the dash somewhere (already did the pivot seals).

- Install the new stock colored carpet that I ordered.

- Maybe install an AM/FM/CD .....maybe if I can convince myself to cut up a real nice dash....maybe......

- Install the rebuild 2bbl set up I have that is all painted and ready to go.

- New exhaust (the one that is on it now is pretty rotten).

- Track down a nice roof rack (yeah I am that sick creep that thinks that they are cool looking, and it will go with the fender skirts that are on it now.).

- Decide if I want to keep it or if I am bored with it, sell it and get something older that I can drive while I cut it up and play with it.

This stuff wont all be done right a way just as I get the time to do stuff I will do it. I am just wanting to get it painted first, I still have to work on the 48, sell the 53, try to buy a house with a decent sized garage and bust my *** at work.

i have a roof rack for sale. it is not from an a-body but col still. i was trying to put it on a pacer but got rid of the car lol. i can assemble it and get some pics if you want

glad to see it getting fixed.i got a little bit of a sick feeling when i saw the pics right after it got hit.my wife drove a 73 valiant the same color for years.we have good memories of that car.anyway good luck with your project,and i look forward to seeing it reborn.

I would not expect any less from you J.R.8)
That is a cool old man's car and glad you found it. :cheers:
Like Keith I will be waiting for pictures =P~

i have a roof rack for sale. it is not from an a-body but col still. i was trying to put it on a pacer but got rid of the car lol. i can assemble it and get some pics if you want

Is it chrome? If you can could you put it on your dart so I can get a visual of what it looks like and how it fits?

I just got off the phone with Ross and he should post some pics pretty soon. He was molesting my fenders when I talked to him and he almost had me convinced to shave the emblems and side marker lights.

So it looks like the fenders were blue then brown and repaired. I am taking down to the point where I feel that I can safely apply the JY3. Being so many different colors they had a lot of holes to fill for all the different badges that they have worn over the years. I also chased a little rust at the bottom.

I think JR should shave everything but he is an old man so he doesn't want to.
Being an old man he is also keeping the top turn signal indicators.

O well I am off to apply a thin layer of mud to smooth things out.

pass fender1.JPG

pass fender2.JPG

pass fender3.JPG

pass fender4.JPG

pass fender5.JPG

Sweet, did you have to drill out the wheel well trim screws or did the come out ok?

I cut them with a cut off wheel from the back and poped them out with a punch, I them messaged the wheel lip back to where it needed to be because over the years it had been dinged a little.

fill the holes. if he dont like it, he can drill new ones.

here are pics of the roof rack. the ends are on pivots so they mount flat and look pretty good. i wish it was a lil bigger but it could be extended if you wanted to. it also has 4 trim pieces that mount to the roof so like if you put a box in it and set it on the roof the box would be on the trim not the actual roof if that makes any sense. i have all the gaskets and they are all in pretty good shape. and the chrome is in decent shape to

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Cool roof rack but I'm looking for one that attaches to the gutters so I don't have to take down the headliner and drill holes in my roof.

Looking good Ross! The keys to the Dart are still in the same spot. Frank may try to jump through the window if he sees you so just be very very sneaky when you walk across the deck. Just remember that the glass in the back windows is pretty thin and I bet he can go through it pretty easy so he can kill you, eat your face then play catch with your......I mean so he can lick you LOL:toothy10:

The new fenders are all painted, have new bumpers and are ready to go I just have to get the motivation to put them on the car.

I have a set of freshly powder coated big bolt ralley wheels I just have to buff out the caps and rings.

The plan is after we buy a new house and get settled in, pull the front and rear glass, rip off the vinyl top, fix any rust and repaint the whole car but after that who knows. I'm kinda getting bored with it and itching for something else that I can really play with, I think I'm almost done with darts (we are still keeping Nikkis 66 ).

So what do you guys think, go with the stock hubcaps or go with the ralley wheels?

-
Back