Rebuild or Crate Engine?

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart Swinger w/ 318 stock everything with 134k miles. Should I have it rebuilt and add some performance parts or buy a crate already built engine with all included. Also should I stay 318 or go with somthing diffrent. Any advice is appreciated.

Really depends on what you are looking for in the end. Mopar crate engines are ridiculously expensive in my opinion.

You could make a nice little runner with your 318 or grab a used 360 and have that rebuilt.

The 360 will open up a much greater power potential vs the 318 at little or no extra cost.

Really depends on what you are looking for in the end. Mopar crate engines are ridiculously expensive in my opinion.

You could make a nice little runner with your 318 or grab a used 360 and have that rebuilt.

The 360 will open up a much greater power potential vs the 318 at little or no extra cost.
"There will be alot more cost in changing to a 360."
Your radiator wont work.P/Steering will have to be relocated.
Will need a new flywheel and torque converter.Etc Etc!

I often wondered the same thing. I dont know if the crate motors are balanced but a local shop here was around 1200 for labor, that included assembly, balancing, reconditioning the rods; heads reconditioned with bowl work, parts and heavy metal extra.

I'd say rebuild a 360.

"There will be alot more cost in changing to a 360."
Your radiator wont work.P/Steering will have to be relocated.
Will need a new flywheel and torque converter.Etc Etc!

radiator will work just fine...inlet and outlet on same size..in fact you can use the water pump off your 318

p/s will work...they both take the same brackets...

at worst for an automatic. you will need a new flexplate..

360 driver size motor mount bracket is different then 318, but a spacer or stack of washers takes care of that..

Going from a 318 to a 360 isn't a big deal and if you are looking for higher power levels the 360 swap would be more cost effective.

360 Magnum With Indy MA-X Cast Iron Heads **** Your Best Value Under $5,000.00! ****
380 Horsepower @5500 RPM 415 Torque @3200 RPM Engine ran with Brad Penn 30WT break in oil Fully prepped 360 Magnum block 4.020 bore--3.58 stroke Eagle SIR rods Speed Pro Hyper PistonsAs picturedCoated shirts--9.5 to 1$4,995.00New Indy MA-X cast iron heads 1.920 / 1.625--5/16 stem valves Hydraulic roller cam.467 / .482--208 / 216--HR113Included:M.P. black Magnum valve coversOrange control boxM.P. Single plane intakeWiring harness-resistor600 CFM Edelbrock carbM.P. 8 blade water pumpLA timing cover-Mechanical fuel pump OK Stock 360 5 quart oil pan M.P. Electronic distribuitor--curve set ICH wires--Champion plugs # 71--RC12YC Engine externally balanced Engine accessories and upgrades 2.02 intake valves (adds 10 HP)Add $100.008 qt deep sump oil panAdd $100.00Externally balanced B/M flexplateAdd $82.00Flexplate bolt kit 6 flexplate-4 5/16 converterAdd $30.00Flexplate bolt kit 6 flexplate-4 7/16 converterAdd $30.00Mopar dipstick for 5 qt oil pan Add $20.00Mopar mini starterAdd $170.00Chrome water pump bolt kit Add $29.95Thermostat housingAdd $10.00Thermostat housing gasketAdd $3.00

Indy Heads has a 360 Crate for less than 5k, is that worh it or rebuild one?
They advertise this motor in the front part of Mopar Muscle Mag.

I was talking to a local builder about this just the other day and he said the reason alot of guys were having trouble with the crate engines is because they come with tight bearing clearance. Some will add higher end bolt ons then drive it at higher R.P.M.s like they have a race engine and overheat the bearings.
Your end useage and where you want the power is what should guide your decision.

radiator will work just fine...inlet and outlet on same size..in fact you can use the water pump off your 318

p/s will work...they both take the same brackets...

at worst for an automatic. you will need a new flexplate..

360 driver size motor mount bracket is different then 318, but a spacer or stack of washers takes care of that..

Flex plate ,Hi stall torque converter,
relocate power steering pump.
360 will give you Alot more power and fun but
it does cost more money.

it does cost more money.

the front end of a 318 and 360 is the same..why would you have to relocate the power steering pump?

you do not HAVE to change the converter...only add the externally balanced flexplate...

just got a 360 crate with ported and polished heads elgin performance cam done and shipped to me from s and j engines in seattle for $2300 i had it in 14 days from the time i ordered it comes with a 7 year 100k warranty and kept my 318 core

it does cost more money.

it didnt cost me anything other than a flexplate. what in the world makes you think you have to move the power steering pump? have you ever put a 360 in place of a 318?

-
Back