REBUILDING 73 DUSTER DRUM BRAKES 10 x 2.5

-
Heres a pic ...where do the springs go ...?

brakes.jpg

Just remember there is a Front are rear brake shoe...the on with more pad on it is on the rear..

you mean, one is toward the front of the wheel? which way is front in this picture?

The shoe with the shorter lining on it points to the front of the car. On that diagram the left side is the front.

That is the left side (drivers side). The "secondary" shoe is the one with the longer lining, it is also a different lining material in 99% of cases. The secondary shoe has all the ebrake parts and self adjusting pieces. The right side is a mirror image. Its best to do 1 side completely, then the other. That way you can use 1 side as a reference. Even the adjusters are different threads, one is Left handed. When the adjuster wheel is rotated "UP", (CW), the adjuster gets longer (it unscrews).

Howdy can anyone help me on this i have worked out how it all goes together but the spring cable thing looks to be 1 inch too short ?? any help please as i did not pull the brakes apart they were already missing the self adjusters thanks

Howdy can anyone help me on this i have worked out how it all goes together but the spring cable thing looks to be 1 inch too short ?? any help please as i did not pull the brakes apart they were already missing the self adjusters thanks

if your cable apears to be short,,,you may either have the cable plate in the wrong hole,,,,,or,,, did you try lifting the lever and hooking the cable to it???? thats how it adjusts the star wheel by moving up and down

The adjust paw picks upward on the star wheel ( like playing base guitar ). This motion screws the adjuster out/longer so there are left and right hand specific adjusters.
The cable guide needs the stay in the hole and flat against the shoe. To put that return spring on before the other helps keep it there. The eyelet end of the cable has a flat side too that goes against the shoe. Little details do make a difference.
If the cable is too short , you may have the wrong cable(s).

thanks everyone instant replies thanks ..I have been out and measured my brake drums they are 11" not like the 10 " in the start of this thread..sorry but still look same ..I reckon I have all the bits in the right places ? I even work out that some fit better-left right..but the cable thing looks short, has any body got a scanned picture or a brake drum off for photo as this diff- brake set up I have are rare here in Oz and my library of car manuals have nothing like this in it or any of our Aussie mopars have these set up..There seems to be only one brake repair kit for this looking on ebay..thanks heaps

I can't agree with doing anything less than 100% correct in brakes.
Having said that, Many police cars were run without that cable. Their fleet service crew would manually adjust the brakes as needed.

-
Back