Votes: 45 36.9%
  • Other

Votes: 20 16.4%

• Total voters
-

DirtyDunko

Local Nerd
Reaction score
So my first car was a '74 Duster with a /6. I drove it for many years and then I rebuilt the engine and transmission but never put it back in as I was missing a torque converter. It had been sitting in a field for the last ~6 years because I never had time or money to do anything with it. I now have plenty of both so I have a simple question...

If money was not a concern - what engine would you put in it?

I'm currently looking between a 225, 318, 340 or a 360. (Bonus: How exactly would you build it?)

Things I care about:
Power.
Beating my friends 351 Cleavland on a strip.
Street-ability (decent MPG, runs smooth, sounds bad-***)
Reliability
Finding replacement parts

Things I don't care much about:
Numbers matching.

The car is currently at a shop getting all the much needed bodywork done. It was recently media blasted but here are some pictures of the car if you care to look.

http://photobucket.com/DuckensDuster

voted 360, had one in my 74 cuda (cordoba motor) did nothing to it but installed an RV cam that i had bought for another project and slapped on a 4 barrel carb on factory iron manifold. no headers or any other bolt ons. spanked my friends 68 firebird with totally rebuilt 350 that had all the goodies that i didnt have. my car had 3:23 gears and a rebuilt 904 with shift kit. i just dont see you getting good gas mileage with a 360 though. you could also embarrass your friend by building a turbocharged 225.

340 with aluminum heads and intake , painted Chrysler Engine Blue ( including heads and intake ! ) ; 10:1 compression ; deeper-capacity oil pan ; reproduction '69 340 air cleaner , painted "Air Cleaner Orange" .

Keisler 4 speed auto , backed by either an 8.75" diff or a narrowed 9.25" diff , 4.10 gearing .

I like the small block deal better , as it's easier to make the car handle well , with mostly off-the-shelf parts ( big block torsion bars , de-arched Super Stock springs , front & rear sway bars , Firm-Feel steering ) .
I'd go no larger than 15" wheels ; something like 15x8" .

The 360 is a great motor ; however , given that this is a "cost is no object" build , I'd put my coins towards a 340 .

Welcome. I voted 360 using the order you put things you care about as the order of your priorities.

You better build it pretty healthy if your going smallblock. A cleveland is no slouch. Been around a few of them in stock form and one of the best running stock motors out there. A local friend has a 1970 cyclone with a 351c, he took it to the local 1/8 mile strip when I was running the dart. He pulled off an 8.31 may not sound that fast but he was running his street tires and spun alot. So I guess what I'm trying to say is go with a big block. Or if money is no object stroked small block and tell them its a 318.

Get a set of RHS(?) X heads from hughes engines and set them on a 360.
Keep in mind that you can get some KB black pistons for a $350 and a 4 inch stroker crank for like $265 through Summit. That 351 probably is not going to want any of a 408.

My buddy has one in his '74 Duster. He spanked one of those Lightning SVT's on the dragstrip like it was backing up. ..Oh yeah I was in the car
when he did it. The guy in the Ford was kinda pissed :lol: ..

351 Cleveland is to Ford what the 340 is to Mopar. I had a girlfriend in college who had a 351 Clevelnd in a Pantera. What a blast! I say go with a 360 but go into it with a paln to put out some serious power.....or just start with a stroker build.

I'll admit I love my 340. But If I have to build another engine. I would go
with a stroker small block. So I said other.
Yeah start with a 360 and stroke it. A 4something cube, 500 hp.
Power to weight ratio it's worth it. :thumbup:

Welcome to FABO, this is a heck of a first post!
If money's not an object, i would go big block for sure.
A 400 stroked out to 451, 727 auto trans with a 3500 stall converter, 4:10 dana, super stock springs, pinion snubber, mini tubbed and some wide 15'' tires should get you there to beat that Ford, It would rev quick and have lots of torque.
Or you could go for a 528'' gen 2 hemi with all that i mentioned if cost isn't an option.
You won't get decent mileage if you want to have a cammed up street car, unless you detune it and put nitrous on it for the occasional blast.
I hope you plan to keep the car's color green!

well what is your friend with the Cleveland running at the strip? That alone will tell us if the rest of what you want can be achieved.

If money and time were not an issue I'd get my hand on a 6.4L Hemi (backed with 6 speed or auto you pick) or a 572 Hemi (auto only because I'd do something stupid with a stick). But for a more realistic view would be the a late 80s early 90s 360 LA roller block (pre magnum) stroke that out to 408 using all forged parts with a set on aluminum heads like Indy or Brodix (think that's how it's spelled) with a fuel injection unit on it backed by an auto overdrive tranny (you can use the Mopar tranny but it will require tunnel work, instead look at using a 2004r/200r4, it's the same tranny, because it's smaller then a 727 and should require no tunnel work), also a full exhaust from TTi using their step headers for max flow without cutting the fender wells. Id also be picking an 8 3/4 or dana 60 with 3.54 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes.

I voted 360. You cant call your mopar a muscle car with a /6 unless you put a ton of money into it.. a /6 car is a "classic car" lol. A 360 will give you power with fuel economy, then again you don't build muscle cars for fuel economy so I would go with a stroker or even big block. THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT You will spend the same amount building the 360 or a big black as you will building a 318/340... so might as well get your bang for your buck.. as for rear end and tranny.. to each their own.. You could even build a muscle car with a modern twist like a few guys on here. Good Luck with your build and Keep us posted!

I had a mint condition 72 mach1 Mustang Fastback a couple years ago....low mileage...pristine shape inside and out and mechanically. It had the 351C and i thought it was a DOG of an engine.

I think there are bigger and badder combo's you could go with than what you have listed in your pole....that is if money is no object.

I personally am a firm believer in a good ole 340

There are a few different versions of the cleveland. They have the aussie, the 2bbl, and the 4bbl. The 4bbl is one bad motor with very little work they put out alot of power. They come from the factory with runners the size of tennis balls. I really hate to say how I know, and will probably catch alot of crap, my father already gives me enough for driving a ford. Let me start by saying I am a mopar guy at heart, but I got into dirt track racing 3 years ago. Chrysler didn't make anything but a unibody from 60's untill now. A unibody doesn't hold up to a direct hit to the wall so well. I will not drive a chevy so the only other choice was a ford. I am currently running a stroked 351 windsor bottom end with cleveland 4bbl heads. the heads have not been touched except for new valves and springs the ports are stock. It is running 13 to 1 compression and a special circle track grind cam. The motor Dyno'd at 680hp. The heads are where the cleveland makes the power. SO depending on which heads he has makes a big difference.

I voted 360.

The 351C was a great pro Stock engine in the 70's, but technology and parts availability have pretty much left it behind. Most high horsepower Ford small blocks are Windsor based these days.

I myself would do a mild to serious BB. Fair mileage with plenty of grunt. Easily take care of a 351 no matter how pumped it was built. Easy install with most parts readily available. Nothing like a pull of a Big Block, espicially if money and time are of no matter.
To many head aches with a new Hemi conversion just to make it fit and run compared to an easy BB install. Just my thoughts, enjoy your project and built it your way.

-
Back