Rebuilt 318 install problem

-
Is it possible that the balancer has shifted on the rubber? Didn't read the whole thread, I appoloapo if someone already suggested this.

Last edited:
If it has slipped you can bring the #1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke and draw a line on the balancer next to 0° and use it for your timing mark. If this works then you should replace the balancer..

The OP did check that as well, the whole project snowballed into a nightmare after an ignition module failure.

UPDATE:
The engine shop just called and told me that at least one of the exhaust lobes on the cam is flat. So I will be pulling the engine again and returning it back to them.

I don't know how this may have occurred? A mechanic mentioned that there may have been too much pre load on the lifters. And I believe member mentioned push rod length.

I guess I'm asking did I do something wrong to cause this or was it the build.

The shop has been great and they are repairing the engine under warranty, I have to pull the motor but I think that's reasonable.

Wow, really hate that happened! I am thankful they are putting it back right for you under warranty though. I figured I’d be the first to ask what kind of oil you were running during break in...

Thanks for the
UPDATE:
The engine shop just called and told me that at least one of the exhaust lobes on the cam is flat. So I will be pulling the engine again and returning it back to them.

I don't know how this may have occurred? A mechanic mentioned that there may have been too much pre load on the lifters. And I believe member mentioned push rod length.

I guess I'm asking did I do something wrong to cause this or was it the build.

The shop has been great and they are repairing the engine under warranty, I have to pull the motor but I think that's reasonable.
Thanks for the update. Hope your back on the road soon.

Wow, really hate that happened! I am thankful they are putting it back right for you under warranty though. I figured I’d be the first to ask what kind of oil you were running during break in...

They supplied me with the oil and the zinc additive for the break in.

Best wishes and hoping they get it straightened out quickly, flat tappet cams are terribly fickle anymore. You mentioned an rv cam, what brand did you use?

Last edited:
I have to believe that all the trouble you had getting it running had a negative impact on the cam break in.

I have to believe that all the trouble you had getting it running had a negative impact on the cam break in.
I had it running at first and had it run at 2000 rpm for about 20-30 minutes as recommended from the engine shop, for the break in. It progressively got harder to start and the popping out of the carb continued to get worse to the point the engine would not run/idle.

Best wishes and hoping they get it straightened out quickly, flat tappet cams are terribly fickle anymore. You mentioned an rv cam, what brand did you use?

Not sure of the brand that they installed. I'm still hoping it wasn't me. I don't think of anything that I did that would have cause this.

Well, here is a photo of one of the two lifters from the 318. I don't have a pic of the cam but it did not fair well at all. Two exhaust valve lobes were wiped. The engine shop believes it was a defective cam. Engine was rebuilt and we installed it this past weekend. Now just a few more finishing steps and I'll be firing it up...fingers crossed!

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

Needs to fire on first crank or that's what happens
sorry about that
obviously double check the firing order/ wire routing and advance, still does not fire then you have to check the cam timing

Needs to fire on first crank or that's what happens
sorry about that
obviously double check the firing order/ wire routing and advance, still does not fire then you have to check the cam timing
My 318 took several attempts to fire up.....didnt wipe a lobe...

Jeff

Jeff
It is funny you say that!

Now I'm gun (cam) shy! It is not firing right up so now I'm throwing in the towel. I'm taking into a shop to have her finished up. I feel like crap doing that but don't want to ruin or damage anything!

It's been a nice Grandfather, Father and Son project. The pic is my father and son getting the engine ready for the install. And then it installed.

The last pic is the engine in the donor car.

engine.jpg

IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_4761.JPG

It took a few minutes to get our 273 fired up. Fiddled with timing and carb. Probably 15,000 miles later no issues.
Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Not sure who rebuilt it this time, but could they come fire it for you? I hate adding another link in the chain. If you know what I mean??
Great pics of the family.

Jeff

Now I'm gun (cam) shy! It is not firing right up so now I'm throwing in the towel. I'm taking into a shop to have her finished up. I feel like crap doing that but don't want to ruin or damage anything!

It's been a nice Grandfather, Father and Son project. The pic is my father and son getting the engine ready for the install. And then it installed.

View attachment 1715302160

View attachment 1715302161

View attachment 1715302162

View attachment 1715302163

View attachment 1715302160

View attachment 1715302161

View attachment 1715302162

View attachment 1715302163
So have you gotten this running yet? And if so, What was the problem?
Thanks

I was wondering how the repair went and is it finally running.
Okay, I misunderstood, I am curious myself about how things have progressed and what brand of cam and lifters were used. It could also be a valve spring type or installed height issue, too. If the cam is split pattern, the intakes may be okay but the exhaust could be crowding on lift to the point of over pressure or coil bind and wiping the exhaust lobes out.

Sorry for not giving a time line. I talked to a few shops and the one I felt most comfortable with was not able to get it in until this Wednesday. So we will be having her towed over there on Wednesday morning!

Last edited:
-
Back