[WANTED] Recall steering wheel

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics and explanation will help those of us that don't know but might have one

The recall wheel was Chrysler's answer to Ralph Nader's concern for a steering wheel they were putting on their big block cars in 1967.
Not too many were produced and fewer have survived.

recall wheel 1.jpg

I looked a long time before I found mine. I'd find the steering wheel but not the chrome or center piece.
As you know trying to find the chrome piece or center cap is close to impossible. It's all or nothing.
I have found two and bought both of them. They were in good shape.
I sent them both to a guy in Texas who did a wonderful job restoring them.

66-67 Dodge Charger Source Guide

"The Recall Wheel Myth"
67recallwheel-jpg.jpg

This picture appeared in early ads for the 1967 Charger. No steering wheel as pictured here (with radial tabs attached to the center horn button) has yet been documented as appearing on a production 1967 Charger.

The myth (urban legend?) surrounding the 1967 "Recall" steering wheel detail (above) was: This wheel was deemed unsafe by safety crusader Ralph Nader and friends and prevented from going into production.

Recent research by John Kane indicates that the "recall" wheel appeared on late production cars without the horn tabs.
John has also found through research into official government documents that:

There are/were no recalls...nor 'investigations' listed for 1967 Dodge Charger steering wheels. Point of fact there were none for 1966 either. 'Investigations' are/were a separate inquiry procedure that also had no references to the steering wheels in question.

This is real world information from the U.S. Government department that would have been directly involved.

If you have a "recall" wheel on your '67 let us know. Any of you who have an original 1967 car...with original documentation can use the following as a reference guide.
The Accessory code # 573 was used on invoices and window stickers to represent the 1967 wood wheel option.

The Steering wheel code # 14T was listed on the bottom line of the broadcast sheet in the box designated : 'Steering Wheel and Horn Ring'.

67wheel-jpg.jpg

66hornbutton-jpg.jpg

66wheel-jpg.jpg

67hornbutton-jpg.jpg

hornring-jpg.jpg

hornring2-jpg.jpg

The wheel came with either a Plymouth or Dodge center emblem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted her and offered $700. she agreed to the price, but then emailed me and said husband decided to sell it to another.
That would of been a steal in that condition for $700. The search continues.
Another place to look on this site is Mopar parts cars for sale.
I found one on a parts car a guy was selling.
He won't sell the steering wheel to me, so I followed the sell and contacted the buyer.
He sold me the steering wheel.

Let's keep this thread on task. It is a wanted thread. I allowed a description of the wheel for those that may not know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back