Rechrome Or Paint????

-

Wilnutt

Reaction score
Curious on everyone's thoughts on rechroming or painting the bumpers....i have a gut feeling i'm not selling the demon...so pondering what i'm gonna do when i get it repainted anyways...

anyone knows ballpark figures of rechroming vs painting?

Dont know the price ranges, i assume painting would be a lot cheaper, but I prefer the chrome look much better, dont know what the closest chrome paint color looks like would be interesting to see some bumper samples! I will rechrome mine down the road if i get to finish the build!

I've priced out the re-chroming = starting at $350 per bumper (locally), it goes up from there depending on how many dents they have to fix...mine are painted as a result of price... :( I have enough paint left over that I can redo them if I get bumped in the daily duster..

dang..i don't even WANNA know what the price will be for my big bumper 57 ford..lol

Depends on the model for me. A bumper that blends to body lines looks OK painted but a bumper that stands off the body looks best chrome.
If money is an issue, strip the chrome off , primer and paint. The rechromer will strip either off anyway.

I re-plated my bumbers, and am glad I bit the bullet on that. There is nothing like good quality bumbers that gleam. I had mine done by the best I could find(Cambridge Chrome) and they made them look perfect. Cost was around 850.00 for the pair. Best money I have spent on the old girl.

69 Swinger1 (Small).JPG

Go to www.chromeguy.com I got both front & rear newly chromed bumpers for $700.00 to my door, no core charge. They look great, & he packs them very good. Check my gallery for pictures of them on the car.

Normally, I'm a big fan of chrome but I chose to go body color just to do something out of the norm. I spent a couple hundred for the pair to get them straightened and they came back primed and ready for painting (Denver Plating).

That Duster looks nice that way.........

BUT, I've seen lots of pictures of the Demon's with paint instead of chrome, and I think it makes the car look cheap......I found nice originals for my Demon, and was glad at the outcome.

Your Duster (the one in the pic) looks like it belongs that way with the overall scheme.........But the Demon doesn't look the same with paint.

I'd go with chrome. :-D

Some guys like the painted look and it looks great on some cars, and strange on others.

I personally asked this same question on several mopar forums and came up with a mixed concensus.

I decided to go with chrome bumpers and was very, very glad with that decision.

I did not feel like dealing with paint chips.

I guess you could have them powdercoated by phoenixspecialtycoatings and support one of our members here, or you could bite the bullet and have them chromed.

The decision is totally yours.

I was happy with mine.

cudadart8.jpg

IMO I think that it comes down to what you really want. Although I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone regretting rechroming after the fact. I will say that I feel that if a car has a lot of other chrome exterior trim pieces you should probably bite the bullet and go chrome.

Had mine rechromed, I like CHROME

even on the cars that the endura bumpers where available in body color I prefer the chrome over the paint

My old 71 Cuda convertible now has painted bumpers instead of chrome, IF I could afford it and the guy would sell it the painted bumpers and billboards would be 1st things changed back

If you have a Keystone automotive dealer close by check with them on rechroming yours, they did mine and they look great

stripe.JPG

lowrtfront.JPG

-
Back