Recommend cold crank amps?

-

Expire

Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing a new battery tomorrow for the '74 duster, I was wondering, what range for power should I be looking into? Duralast makes 2 that would work, but have varying CAs / CCAs.

They all are the same price, I just want to make sure I get the right one for that won't be underpowered or overpowered?

Option 1: Duralast Gold
Cold Crank Amps: 640
Crank Amps: 800
Reserve 110mins

Option 2: Duralast Gold
Cold Crank Amps: 700
Crank Amps: 875
Reserve 130mins

Part of me tells me to go towards the higher side but, not really sure? Should I even go with a Duralast, or is there a better option?

Thanks for the advice!

Depends on what you are "cranking." The (stupid) rule of thumb used to be about same cranking amps as CID. When they first started out with the cranking amps rating, 500 was a LOT and would start any gas engine in any passenger car, in any weather.

Depends on what you are "cranking." The (stupid) rule of thumb used to be about same cranking amps as CID. When they first started out with the cranking amps rating, 500 was a LOT and would start any gas engine in any passenger car, in any weather.

It still will. That's still the rule of thumb, too. One CCA per CID. I think somehow, battery companies have slipped by over rating their batteries. Kinda like all them lawnmower and small engine manufacturers that were over rating their horse power some years back. I actually got 14 bucks from that class action suit. LOL

So will the first option be enough since it's 640? I didn't expect it to need much to crank, but wasn't really sure.

640 CCA is plenty. However, I generally like a name brand battery. Interstate comes to mind.

I run my battery in the trunk

1000 cold cranking optima battery

i used a cheap one from wall mart and it did not work no power

stronger the better

I've had good service from Duralast batteries; warranty is in the computer and bar code on the battery. Walmart is also good especially if you travel. Not hard to find a Walmart if your battery quits on you. As mentioned by others get the biggest that fits the tray. Battery prices have gone through the roof so there isn't much price difference.

I've had good service from Duralast batteries; warranty is in the computer and bar code on the battery. Walmart is also good especially if you travel. Not hard to find a Walmart if your battery quits on you. As mentioned by others get the biggest that fits the tray. Battery prices have gone through the roof so there isn't much price difference.

Well as of right now, the duster doesn't run so i can't take it anywhere to do some test fitting, so i have to go based off of what their computer says will fit.

For what it's worth to you, me myself will only buy gel-batteries since I've bought a bunch of used Exide (2) and an Optima battery over 8-9 years ago, and are still operation today.
I recall some of them have 900 CCA's, and really fling an engine round.
Specially in winter you'll love the quicker starting rpm's.

Ditto, gel-mat batteries are great, last 2-3x longer, they charge a little differently but if your using it, non issue.

Alright, I called Napa when I got home and reserved an Optima battery, thanks for the help everyone!

I don't think you will be unhappy. I generally don't recommend the gel type batteries, because I like trying to help people save a dollar, but hay, if you got the coin they are nice.

CCA per CI is what I was told in the past. The past being before all the added demand on electrical system with AC, stereos, pw/pl and so on. My 71 with a 318 got a 640 CCA one, forgot what brand. Was a 5 year battery, bought in late 70's, never needed another one as car was totaled in 89. I would say I got my money out of it. Then I had an 86 Olds Ciera with 4 cyl and extra electrical. Part store tried to sell me an $80 one, high CCA cause of electric demand. Told them what I wanted, and the place wouldn't warranty it. I told them big deal, just give me the battery I asked for. Saved $40. Thing lasted for years.

I agree with mgunner. Get the most powerful battery you can fit into your tray. I personally would not pay the extra money for a gel battery, but that is just me. I have had REALLY good luck with batteries from Advance Auto.

CCA per CI is what I was told in the past. The past being before all the added demand on electrical system with AC, stereos, pw/pl and so on. My 71 with a 318 got a 640 CCA one, forgot what brand. Was a 5 year battery, bought in late 70's, never needed another one as car was totaled in 89. I would say I got my money out of it. Then I had an 86 Olds Ciera with 4 cyl and extra electrical. Part store tried to sell me an $80 one, high CCA cause of electric demand. Told them what I wanted, and the place wouldn't warranty it. I told them big deal, just give me the battery I asked for. Saved $40. Thing lasted for years.

This is an excellent point and one no one else really brought up until now. If the car is going to remain pretty much "4 wheels and a motor" then I think the one CCA per CID is still a good rule.

However, if you are going to add all kinds of power accessories, like windows, door locks, big sound and other stuff, then the bigger the better is probably best.

Well NAPA has it listed for $160-180, but I just found a $50 gift card to NAPA, so It will be the same as buying a duralast.

Most of you are too young. But I remember the "diesel days" of GM. I'm talking about the ill fated 350 diesel, which unGenerous Motors stuck in all kinds of rigs. These things came with a pair of just about the best batteries Delco had, unlike a lot of new cars, back then, which came with a mediocre battery.

Anyhow, a guy came into the store where I worked, and was "interested" in a battery, only he wanted a cheap 48 month, "just one." There was only one battery in the car.

I could not seem to get across to him, that he needed a better battery, so I TOLD him that. "GM put the best batteries they made in this thing, and TWO of em."

I think he finally bought a better battery, but it was still only one, LMAO

My ex mother in law had a Grand Prix with a diesel. All it did was sit in the back yard and rust. I remember them well. BIG POS.

640 CCA is plenty. However, I generally like a name brand battery. Interstate comes to mind.

I've had really good luck with the yellow top duralast batteries. They've lasted longer than any of the factory batteries that have came in my new vehicles and longer than the red optimas I had. Here in AZ where it's over 100 for about 4 months straight, my duralast batteries even outlast the interstate batteries that friends have. The good thing about interstate is that they have a good warranty, so when they go dead after 3 years here (yes, they only last 3 years here), there's a decent prorate on them. My duralasts usually last me about 4 years here, and 5 years when I lived in CA.

-
Back