Recommendation for Forged Pistons and Connecting Rods

-
Yes, but in my opinion not worth the expense.
A lot of pistons designed for press-fit pins have narrower(& lighter) pin bosses, and do not have the room for retainer grooves.
318's are one of the few that made the switch to press-fit, but used the identical pistons, because the low squeeze auto slugs & even lower truck ones were the same. They avoided having to produce & stock (2) more part#s.

Last edited:
Molnar Rods and a Custom Ross Piston with a 5cc dish is what I am putting together to get the compression down to about 9 Based on my understanding with the Wiseco piston you are in the neighborhood of 10.25 which will be too much for the boost.

10.25 is too much for boost? then how do the modern engines get away with 10 to 1 and boost. it can be done, is it ideal No. I havent built a slant with those pistons or the longer rods but would bet the 10-10.25 to 1 is in a perfect world. I havent seen anyone actually post deck heights of them in a unmachined block. head CC's are also all over.

10.25 is too much for boost? then how do the modern engines get away with 10 to 1 and boost. it can be done, is it ideal No. I havent built a slant with those pistons or the longer rods but would bet the 10-10.25 to 1 is in a perfect world. I havent seen anyone actually post deck heights of them in a unmachined block. head CC's are also all over.
Modern engines have Al-U-minimum heads, CVVT/CVVD, which allows for constantly changing the dynamic compression as well as intentionally trapping exh. gasses for internal EGR, 3,4,or 5 engine coolant temp sensors, servo-actuated coolant control "zone" valves keeping all parts of the engine the desired temp, constantly monitored air-temp/inlet manny temp & pressure, servo-actuated wastgates, decent intercoolers, knock sensors, oil-jets spraying the undersides of the pistons(some of which now actually have flow passages)
& direct injection that is now in the 6,000psi range. Add more computing power & speed than the 1st Space Shuttle had on board, that's how. The same way they are running 13.5:1 NA on pump REGULAR. We don't have those tools at Our disposal, just sayin'....

I track and agree with both of you guys for the most part but accuracy and precision are two different things.
As much money as this thing is costing I want to lean towards more precise and retain flexibility. I can be accurate at around 10.25 to 1 and may or may not have serious head gasket issues but if I scale it back to a known quantity on compression and put a fire ring in with a quality compressed copper gasket I'm more able to play with the boost for hp gains instead of starting at a point where there is already a questionable compression ratio for the type of engine it is - thereby reducing flexibility.

Building this thing doesn't make sense anyway-- buying a late model swap in with all types of those bells and whistles is a helluva lot smarter but I wanted to build something different with my son. And it sure is different than just throwing a big block in an A body like I've already done.

Molnar Rods and a Custom Ross Piston with a 5cc dish is what I am putting together to get the compression down to about 9 Based on my understanding with the Wiseco piston you are in the neighborhood of 10.25 which will be too much for the boost.
Wiseco will make the turbo piston All you have to do is call. They used to offer it off the shelf, so it ain't like they caint just whittle you some out.

I totally get the something different. That is why I am working on a slant right now.
Adding multiport, coil near plug and a turbo. Its been a fun and challenging build so far.

I totally get the something different. That is why I am working on a slant right now.
Adding multiport, coil near plug and a turbo. Its been a fun and challenging build so far.
I'm gettin close to gettin those headers put on. I'm also gonna put on a 650 double pumper at the same time. lol

So much of the current Stuff is overrated. I like the simplicity of a 4 pin ECU and a carburetor.

So much of the current Stuff is overrated. I like the simplicity of a 4 pin ECU and a carburetor.
I prefer the Mopar ignition. Every bit as good or better with good parts.

I don’t know. I’m 52 but I gotta say when I slapped a Sniper EFI on my 440 car I was pretty damn amazed.
I hate change and I hoard farm junk and am stereotypical farmer with buildings full of what others call junk but it’s my treasure. Ha.

I should be picking up the multiport intake from Gill Welding in the next week or so. (Can’t say enough nice things about Bryce or his dad).

I already have a pile of stuff I don’t know what to do with but my son and I are gonna slog it out and learn.

Crazily enough my 69 Dart big block car now just seems boring…this slant six is gonna push not only my wallet but my patience and learning curve as well because it all seems so strange to me.

I dig this forum though. Knowing there are other people out there that have mechanical addiction issues and what is considered odd tastes in cars makes me feel better.

Man I wish you were closer. Would love to trade ideas and see where you are on this thing. The only turbo experience I’ve got is on a DT466 dump truck I rebuilt that only makes about 180 hop WITH the turbo.

I don’t know. I’m 52 but I gotta say when I slapped a Sniper EFI on my 440 car I was pretty damn amazed.
I hate change and I hoard farm junk and am stereotypical farmer with buildings full of what others call junk but it’s my treasure. Ha.

I should be picking up the multiport intake from Gill Welding in the next week or so. (Can’t say enough nice things about Bryce or his dad).

I already have a pile of stuff I don’t know what to do with but my son and I are gonna slog it out and learn.

Crazily enough my 69 Dart big block car now just seems boring…this slant six is gonna push not only my wallet but my patience and learning curve as well because it all seems so strange to me.

I dig this forum though. Knowing there are other people out there that have mechanical addiction issues and what is considered odd tastes in cars makes me feel better.
About 7 or 8 years ago, I modeled a front mount throttle body EFI intake for the Slant. Not much interest so I made and cast one for the Chevy 6 cylinder which was hugely popular. Now all the Slant guys want EFI......and have a short memory!

Man I wish you were closer. Would love to trade ideas and see where you are on this thing. The only turbo experience I’ve got is on a DT466 dump truck I rebuilt that only makes about 180 hop WITH the turbo.
I really need to update my build thread. I have it idling now and need to work through some bugs and get to tuning it.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I modeled a front mount throttle body EFI intake for the Slant. Not much interest so I made and cast one for the Chevy 6 cylinder which was hugely popular. Now all the Slant guys want EFI......and have a short memory!
I was unaware and ignorant. Had zero interest in a slant or anything EFI until the last 18 months.
My son wanted to build and work on his “own” car which prompted all this craziness. I always want options and don’t know there was anything else and I lack the ability to mill the flanges and set the runner tubes appropriately. I’ll bet you could still move em like hotcakes as Gill welding is on at least a 4 month turnaround time

I was unaware and ignorant. Had zero interest in a slant or anything EFI until the last 18 months.
My son wanted to build and work on his “own” car which prompted all this craziness. I always want options and don’t know there was anything else and I lack the ability to mill the flanges and set the runner tubes appropriately. I’ll bet you could still move em like hotcakes as Gill welding is on at least a 4 month turnaround time
I've been involved with the guys over on .org for over 10 years now and have made numerous products for them on request in that time period. I contributed and gave away many of those products to them, because I'm a nice guy and am glad to help them out. I've even had one of those products featured in Mopar Muscle and Hot Rod magazines at the same time. But I've also been in close to 40 magazines in the last 25 years for performance products I've developed and created for other brands as well. I also about 10 years ago was casting and manufacturing an aluminum race head for a Chevy inline 6, and have been to several East Coast Awards and Racers Banquets. Once, taking the Chevy inline race head to show them the possibilities of casting a Slant 6 version for them on my nickle. I had at that time also acquired an aluminum foundry to cast all my other intakes and the heads in-house. I can go on and on about all I have offered to give them and my credentials to show them I was serious to further advance the Slant community. But what I've seen and learned about those over there, is they whine and complain because a lot of companies have stopped making and are discontinuing products for the Slant year after year, and when someone who has the resources and desire to help them, they have no loyalty or show any support for them.

That sucks and I’m sorry for that. There ARE folks out there that can admit they don’t know **** and need help.

-
Back