Recommendation for Replacement Commando Air Cleaner

-
That's what I have.... one with the air speed screw. I measure 4.5" across the opening. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those adapters for 4 7/32" won't fit.

You are off early AFB openings are should be 4 7/32. I'll go down and measure one.

Last edited:
Years ago when u bought an Edelbrock cast alum air cleaner u would get a few adaptors with it. I’ll measure some of mine. So then he needs a 4 7/16 opening? Kim

I measured one of my Commando AFB's. The outer edge of the air filter ring is 4.50 and the inner diameter is 4 7/32. So the hole in the air filter base needs to be 4 7/32. It is also the same as large OEM Carters and Holleys for the 360's and big blocks. There are reproduction bases for 65 66 GTO Pontiac AFB's that should work and use a 14" top, but the bases are $60+ alone. Happy hunting.

I measured one of my Commando AFB's. The outer edge of the air filter ring is 4.50 and the inner diameter is 4 7/32. So the hole in the air filter base needs to be 4 7/32. It is also the same as large OEM Carters and Holleys for the 360's and big blocks. There are reproduction bases for 65 66 GTO Pontiac AFB's that should work and use a 14" top, but the bases are $60+ alone. Happy hunting.

That's the answer. Thanks for helping me figure it out. Yep, the AFBs are 4 1/2", but what I didn't understand was the air cleaner hole needed to be 4 7/32". I ordered this dumb air cleaner. Proform 66802 $19. Like I said, this needs to go on a vehicle I'm selling. It has an AFB and no air cleaner, so this gets me down the road! Thank you all who contributed to this thread!

-
Back