Recommended carb jets

-

Ghostsoldier

Reaction score
Guys,
My son's '74 Duster stock 318 has an Edelbrock 1406 600cfm straight out of the box (on a Weiand 8022 intake), and it runs OK, but tends to bog at times, or when you crowd it a little....like it's not getting enough gas. We also have an Edelbrock electric pump and regulator installed (set at 4.5 to 5).

I wanted to up the jets a bit, to give it more oomph, but not go too far overboard...since I'm not a carb guy, I thought I'd ask for some advice from those of you who have done this upgrade.

Thanks,
Rob

bogs went you hit the gas?

check the accelerator pump...make sure it squirts as soon as you move the throttle...

actually you can change the metering rods first before you change the jets....

I've got the acc pump link set to the center hole; I'll try to move it to the lower one to see what happens.

Can I order the larger metering rods separately?

Rob

The manual for your Edelbrock carb has a graph that you use to change metering rods and jets. It is very easy to use. The metering rods and jets are typically changed together as the jet provides wide open metering and the rods in conjuction with the jet size provide intermediate metering. You have to use the graph to tell you what to change.
Rod

Guys,
My son's '74 Duster stock 318 has an Edelbrock 1406 600cfm straight out of the box (on a Weiand 8022 intake), and it runs OK, but tends to bog at times, or when you crowd it a little....like it's not getting enough gas. We also have an Edelbrock electric pump and regulator installed (set at 4.5 to 5).

I wanted to up the jets a bit, to give it more oomph, but not go too far overboard...since I'm not a carb guy, I thought I'd ask for some advice from those of you who have done this upgrade.

Thanks,
Rob

you can richened it up with just a metering rod change....you need to look at the ones you have..they have a number engraved on them....

yes..you can buy them in sets...or in a kit of metering rods...primary and secondary jet

Here is the link for the manual for Edelbrock Performer carbs. Unless you are a seasoned veteran in tweaking carbs, I would suggest following the Edelbrock engineers.
Good luck,
Rod

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf

The manual for your Edelbrock carb has a graph that you use to change metering rods and jets. It is very easy to use. The metering rods and jets are typically changed together as the jet provides wide open metering and the rods in conjuction with the jet size provide intermediate metering. You have to use the graph to tell you what to change.
Rod

Thanks for the tips, guys....it's raining cats and dogs here, but as soon as it dries up, I'll check those rod sizes and report back.

Meanwhile, I'll read the manual. :)

Rob

I've got the acc pump link set to the center hole; I'll try to move it to the lower one to see what happens.

Can I order the larger metering rods separately?

Rob

Smaller rods will richen mix. Larger jets will richen mix. Stronger springs will richen mix. Easiest is the rods that pop out the top with that small torx or screw flanking the air cleaner stud. The higher hole in the acc pump lever is the larger shot (or the one closer to the fulcrum). They make em rich so they dont run lean and hurt customers motors or run bad out of the box. I bet its rich. I think if you put something over the air horn while idling and your lean, the idle will go up slightly, not so for rich.

-
Back