Red Headed Stepchild-75 Swinger LSX Swap

-
Well here's the manifold, gonna need some cleaning up and will most like get coated before the FI Tech power adder kit gets installed.

Also have a set of used Clifford Headers(so im told), may be used to help fab up a tubular manifold set for the turbo later, doubt they'd be installed to be run any other way.

I have kind of vanished for a while but I placed my order last night for the Hotchkis TVS Kit for my Swinger and the Hotchkis 1.5 Shocks Street Performance Shocks as well. This will be my winter project for the dart prior to next year.
Hotchkis%2080114_zps8wek9vuc.jpg

Hotchkis%2079020015_zpsou2pxqcc.jpg

On a side not I think I've just finally decided to go with the 5.7L Hemi swap on my Swinger. As much as I want to stick with the Slant 6, I just don't think ill end up as happy with the performance of it over a clean 5.7L Hemi Swap. The swap wont start until winter 2016.

I happened to run across this dodge challenger 6.1 setup including the motor, trans, harness, and ecu for just under $5k so I will be picking this up tomorrow(pending the snowfall) and this will be the heart of the Dart.
received_1163363160343729_zpskqqdieda.jpg

received_1163363180343727_zpshymqjgek.jpg

After two different sellers backed out on 6.1's they had for sale my search continues. Should have my shocks this week, and due to some items being out of stock I have to wait till December 11th for my TVS kit to ship to me form Hotchkis.

Having the best of luck it seems, local shop failed to come through for me on the suspension so I had to cancel that order with them and just re-ordered the suspension through Summit. Hopefully they stick to their word and get it here by Friday.

Well the goodies started showing up today. Just waiting on the sway bars now and then I will begin after I get back from NC for Christmas.

Well I got started on the process today. Slow and smooth to start right now.

As with anything this old I started off with some WD40, but ended up with a 40 yr old cam bolt on the back side of the upper control arm that didn't want to give up. Snapped in half as soon as I tried to break it loose. Gonna go with all new upper cam bolts on both sides now anyway. But luckily that's the only thing that's broken so far.

Seeing as the hotchkis shocks didnt come with dust boots i went down to advance and looked through their monroe ones and found some that will fit. Here is how it sits bow, not fully torqued down of course. Still have to add the rebuilt lowers, new sterring rods and such from hotchkis.

Well the first time in a week it got up to 40 degrees so I got out in the garage to try and finish up most of the front end. Ended up getting everything done on both sides of the front for the most part. Still waiting on the QA1 lowers and so I can put them on and then get the front sway bar setup done. In the mean time I will move to the rear and get the leaf springs, and shocks installed in the rear.

Well it warmed up a little more and my Chief's exam is over with so back to the Dart it is. Started on the rear today, gotta admit that this 40 year old suspension gave me hell in the back. Ended up breaking all 4 of the nuts off trying to get the lower shock mount plate loose, but she ended up finally giving way and then I dropped the rear air shock down too. Also snapped the two bolts on the rear shackle on the drivers side too, so gotta order some of those now. Nothing I didn't kind of half expect this ancient, never been taken apart before suspension to do(with the exception of the shocks). Here is a little side by side of the old and new.

Anyone have any suggestions on which company to go with for the new rear shackles? I've seen a few stock style ones but I'm replacing everything with newer and stronger so id like to try and go that route.

I've seen sets like this.
http://www.calvertracing.com/store/shackle-bushing-setabody-mopar-p-170.html

Is there any benefit of running these seeing as the Hotchkis Leaf's came with their own bushing for the shackles?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Leaf-S...ash=item2335bf22fd:g:vfcAAOxyOlhS8XbE&vxp=mtr

I know I plan on running a little wider tire in the rear and may end up doing a spring relocation to give me a little more room in the back for a wider tire. I figure if im going to spend the money I may as well only do it once. The relocation kit comes with new shackles already. Just trying to decide if its worth it or just keep it how it is and do a minitub later.

Its been a few days since my last update. When I was dropping the right rear leaf spring it ended up falling far enough to split my elbow open and needed a few stitches to close it up. But while I wait to have them pulled out I went ahead and ordered the Mopar performance rear shackles, new lower ball joints for both sides up front, and a set of the QA1 tubular lower control arms from Summit. Those should all be here Saturday. Summit was kind enough to give me a free hat seeing as I've spent a little over $3000 on suspension with them lately, how nice of them right? should have some more pictures and updates flowing through this weekend. Wish me luck.

Parts showed up, new Mopar Performance rear shackles, moog lower ball joints for both sides, and the obviously awesome QA1 Tubular lower control arms. How nice of Summit to throw in that sweet hat after all the money I've spent with them. I'm gonna try and get some work done in the morning before the big game tomorrow. GO Panthers!

I also happen to consider myself a romantic, so I finally got myself my first new truck for Valentine's Day.

Made a little more progress last night on the suspension, I finally got the right rear leaf dropped down, had to pull both of the rear shackle brackets because the top nut broke off during disassembly and I couldn't get it to separate from the shackle bracket without removing it. I got the new bracket mounted and snugged down for the leafs, got all the new bushings greased up and in place. I ended up having to use a press to get the old shackle out of the bracket(even after soaking it in wd40 all night). But I went ahead and cleaned them up with a wire wheel this morning and I'm going to get them sprayed and hopefully re-installed tonight along with the rest of the leafs and the new rear shocks. Ill have some pictures posted up once I get them done. Then its back to the front for the ball joints and finish up with the installation of the QA1 lower control arms.

Well I have a little bit of a productive day yesterday. Finally got the leaf's tightened down and in place. Come to find out the U-bolts that came with the kit don't work on a 75 Swinger with the 7 and 1/4 rear end so I made a trip to advance auto parts to grab some u-bolts that were the right size. The kit came with a set that were about 3 and 1/8 in between the bolts and I had to get a set that were 2 and 5/8 inside the bolts. Pretty sure the ones that's came with the kit were for the shock brackets for an 8 3/4 rear(the giant ones in the picture are the ones for the 8 3/4 rear end).

Also had to pull the upper shock studs out and use a c-clamp to get the top of the rear shocks in place. But they are bolted in good now. Only thing left to do now to finish up the rear is bolt the lowers shock mount back to the leafs and set her back on the ground. Then move back to the front and finish her up for good.

Rear is torqued down and finally done.

After that I got the from hubs apart, pulled the old ball joints, installed the new ones, added the new QA1 lower control arms, now this week I just have to finish up the install and double check of everything up front. Still trying to decide on when I'm going to do the sway bar kit. But its supposed to be pretty warm this week and I have Friday off so we will see.

Most of the front is back together now, just wrestling with this sway bar because it doesn't seem to be lining up with the qa1 lowers.

After putting the front suspension under load everything lined up a lot better in the front. So now I'm just going to double check everything tomorrow and then throw the wheels back on and shes done for now. The rear sway bar will be added in once I swap out the rear end for something with 3" axle tubes(a must for the hotchkis kit).

Looking real good, it's nice to buy yourself a valentines day gift!!!

Single father of two, comes with the territory.

One thing to note for everyone, if you have rhe 7 1/4 rear, you're gonna need to reuse ur stock ubolts, or purhase some that have a 2 and 5/8 inside diameter(i got new ones from advance).

Other then tnat i have to wrestle with the top bolt on the drivers side caliper because it doesnt want to go back in correctly. As soon as i get her worked out and back on all fours ill post some more pictures.

Still hunting the hemi if its the right price, but also havent ruled out a 318/360 or building my slant for around 300hp.

Well i had a scare for a minute, the nut on the adj. Strut rod on the drivers side stripped all the threads off and basically ruined it. So after digging through my tap and die and finding a suitable nut, I pulled the strut rod back off, created some new threads and got her all put back together today. She finally had all 4 wheels back on the ground briefly, before I took her back up to adjust the torsion bars and set the rise height better. Hopefully tomorrow I can roll her out of the garage for some pictures.

-
Back