red loctite on ring gear and sure grip bolts?

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
Hello
setting up to re assembled a 742 8.75 with a cone style sure grip.

I have read many sites that recommend red loctite on the ring gear bolts.
a few questions on that item
1) is red loctite really necessary since the ring gear bolts are left had threaded?

2) with red loctite on the ring gear bolts, will they remove using a healthy air impact or will be adding heat the only way to break red loctite loose

3) Should I also red loctite the eight 5/16 x 3 inch bolts that secure the cone sure grip housing to the ring gear hub? Asking as if heat is needed to break these loose, it seems like I would need to get the bolt heads pretty hot for the temperature to travel the three inch bolt length to the threads

thanks

Hello
setting up to re assembled a 742 8.75 with a cone style sure grip.

I have read many sites that recommend red loctite on the ring gear bolts.
a few questions on that item
1) is red loctite really necessary since the ring gear bolts are left had threaded?

2) with red loctite on the ring gear bolts, will they remove using a healthy air impact or will be adding heat the only way to break red loctite loose

3) Should I also red loctite the eight 5/16 x 3 inch bolts that secure the cone sure grip housing to the ring gear hub? Asking as if heat is needed to break these loose, it seems like I would need to get the bolt heads pretty hot for the temperature to travel the three inch bolt length to the threads

thanks
Blue should be fine....

Loctite color is determined by the diameter of the bolt (for the most part).

treblig

450 degrees isnt much to loosen the locking compound.

An impact will take them out. Its best to break them loose and work them back and forth if they dont come easy.
If your installing a used ring, spray some carb cleaner in the bolt holes to clean out the oil.

-
Back