Red Wheel liners

-
allow me to rephrase that for the lawyers...."Thats because it was the most gentle on the ducks, not because it worked the best". :p
Your "rephrase" has been accepted......and noted!! However it does work "The Best" and it (dish washing detergent) is the most gentle!! Unless there's something else I don't know about?? Are you saying that there is something else that works better and is as gentle?? Or that there is something else that is as gentle but works better?? I'm confused ?? Crown Royal makes my brain think in weird ways??

Be very careful with the heat gun, plastic will get soft and warp.
fair point: I looked up PE (polyethylene) melting points:
LDPE: 110 °C (230 °F)

HDPE: 130 °C (266 °F) **

PP (Polypropylene)

130°C (266°F) melt point
more brittle than PE.

These low melt points are far higher than the heat required to soften tar but should be addressed. Test on a small area before widescale use.

Your "rephrase" has been accepted......and noted!! However it does work "The Best" and it (dish washing detergent) is the most gentle!! Unless there's something else I don't know about?? Are you saying that there is something else that works better and is as gentle?? Or that there is something else that is as gentle but works better?? I'm confused ?? Crown Royal makes my brain think in weird ways??
Au jus sauce might taste better. lol As you can see I am not taking this serious.

Dawn is probably the "most gentle thing that works". Simple Green may work better and is also non toxic but is also $$ compared to Dawn. MSDS on Simple Green says eye irritant, so does Dawn. Johnsons Baby Shampoo may be more gentle (not eye irritant) but may not work as good.

fair point: I looked up PE (polyethylene) melting points:
LDPE: 110 °C (230 °F)

HDPE: 130 °C (266 °F) **

PP (Polypropylene)

130°C (266°F) melt point
more brittle than PE.

Now you're talking my language!!
These low melt points are far higher than the heat required to soften tar but should be addressed. Test on a small area before widescale use.

Dawn is probably the "most gentle thing that works". Simple Green may work better and is also non toxic but is also $$ compared to Dawn. MSDS on Simple Green says eye irritant, so does Dawn. Johnsons Baby Shampoo may be more gentle (not eye irritant) but may not work as good.
Totally agree, however I don't know the ingredients (chemical composition) of "undercoating". It's more that just tar, I think there are some epoxies in there???

I use "Johnsons Baby Shampoo" every morning to scrub my eye lids. Yes it sounds crazy but my Opthamologist told me that there are numerous microbes that live in/on the eye lids (eye lash follicles), they irritate your eyelids and make your eyes itch. As you get older your body has trouble fighting off these microbes and they begin to overpopulate the eye lids. These microbes are normal in everybody but when they are too prolific they can cause problems. My Opthamologist gave this gooey (expensive) medicine that's supposed to keep the microbes in "check". The medicine doesn't work very well and is extremely annoying....but Johnson's Baby Shampoo works great!! It kills off many of the microbes and keeps my eyes from itching!!
Who'd a THUNK???

My father was a chemist and he taught me "likes disolve likes"
If that undercoating is a petroleum product, gasoline should disolve it.....

Jeff

My father was a chemist and he taught me "likes disolve likes"
If that undercoating is a petroleum product, gasoline should disolve it.....

Jeff
But isn't plastic (liner) a petroleum product as well?? I've tried to use the plastic cap off a paint spray can to pour gas into a carb. If you let it sit in the cap very long the cap begins to melt.

But isn't plastic (liner) a petroleum product as well?? I've tried to use the plastic cap off a paint spray can to pour gas into a carb. If you let it sit in the cap very long the cap begins to melt.
Not all plastics are petroleum based.....
I'd do a test area...

Jeff

Looks like you have a convertible. The rear liners won't fit the convertible unless you cut and modify them to fit.
Saw the videos of yesterday's flooding in Ellicott City. I hope you and your's came through okay and with no damage.
I have a set that I was going to on my 69 Formula S but never did and I sold the years ago.
I live about 4 miles from Main Street Ellicott City and I live on top of a hill so my house is good I did go to check on my shop and the water got to the parking lot and the road in front was flooded out but other than that we are all good. Unlike 2 years ago when Ellicott City flooded and I had a foot of water in the shop and the machine shop it took almost a week to clean up

Hi. Brake clean will work to clean those up, but I don't know the effect it will have on the liners. Bobby

WD40 spray and soak. Then after a few days use a plastic scraper and carefully scrape it off. Then dampen a rag in WD40 to wipe off the excess.

-
Back