Reducing body roll. SS springs, sway bar, or both?

-

60Powerwagon

Reaction score
I’m running 295/50-15’s on the back and everything clears fine except when making a right turns. When I do the body rolls and it’s rubbing the outer sidewall of the tire. Would SS springs cure it, should I just do a sway bar, or is it necessary to do both? If I put on springs I’m not real sure which ones to get

Are you trying to keep the ride height the same or raise it? Some SS springs will raise the rear, but I think of them as still more of a straight-line hook spring, than a cornering rally type spring. In the old days some people used to put air shocks on to raise and stiffen. I had an old buddy that had N50-15s on his Duster that way, but pretty rough on bumpy roads and not great in the rain.

SS springs are drag race springs not handling springs. If you notice, many of the SS sprung drag cars set a little crooked due to the spring packs having different leaves in each pack. You didn't mention what car you are working with but you may have to do some pretty serious homework to get that tire to fit. It probably won't fin up in the wheelhouse because of the width. Are you running them on 10" wide wheels?. Trim the wheel lip or roll the edge? XHD springs that don't move much or 1" or 2" over height springs for more clearance? Way too many details left out to have a good answer for you.

SS springs are made differently for left and right spring, and if bought at Mancini you will have issue with those. I bought Espo +2 HD 6 leaf springs from Espo for my 72 Duster. The 6 leaf HD spring would have been stock on a 340 car. Running a 255/60R15 I had 2.75” from top of tire to fender with no more than an inch or so of compression “jumping“ on the back of the car. I would not hesitate to run it street freak style if I actually liked the look… meanwhile I am changing to a wheel that will shove the tire out more so no fear here on tire rub as I encroach on fender lip real estate.
Also a rear sway bar would be another step to think about but with HD springs it’s not a harsh ride and with no sway bar front or rear and 1.03 torsion bars (in case that is why) I do not feel I experience much body roll in the corners I take in WV, but then again I am focused on making the turn with manual steering LOL.

I was running 002 and 003 SS springs on my Demon with 275/60-15 tires on 15x8 rim with 4" BS. When I changed to the new tires , 295/60-15, I switched to 002 on both sides. 15x8.5 rim with 3.25" BS. Does not rub during any street driving or driveway approaches. Not sure what you are trying to fit the tires in, but I love the SS springs.

20221120_223924.jpg

20221120_224650.jpg

Before I added a rear sway bar on my Duster I had similar issues with body roll and my 295/40/18’s having a little contact on the inner wheel well. After the sway bar I had no issues at all, and that’s with 120 lb/in rear springs.

The problem with SS springs isn’t just the ride height, they’re too stiff for most handling set ups. Typically these A-bodies when set up for handling have a rear spring rate around 120-130 lb/in, and use a rear sway bar with that rate. The rear bar is helpful because most of the aftermarket ones are adjustable, so, you get your base spring rate and then adjust as necessary for your car and its particular set up.

A-body SS springs are 160 lb/in, which can help hook for straight line traction but is too stiff for the vast majority of handling set ups. Some of that will counter the additional roll couple from raising the rear ride height, but again, not ideal at all for a car set up for handling.

To piggyback on 72blunblu on spring rate to compare.

Espo 5 leaf is 90 lb/in rate
Espo 6 leaf is 130 lb/in rate (I have these as +2)

I saved that info from conversation with Espo when selecting springs to have made to order for my Duster

Last edited:
I guess, as mentioned above, the OP needs to explain what he is trying to do. If it is normal street driving or trying to carve corners.

It’s a 72 Duster. Just street driving. It’s set up similar to 71GSSdemon’s above except it’s a bit higher in the front. It does hook good the way it is when I need it to. Yes the wheels are 10” and this is the only issue. Nothing inside rubs nor the right outside. I’m think a sway bar will solve this issue for the most part from what y’all are sayin.

Roll the quarter panel lips. They make a tool for that , I just used a baseball bat.

I have 29 14.5's on 12 inch wheels. The only place they rubbed was behind the tires on the quarters so I put stainless chip guards on so not to rub the paint off. I don't like a high car. The lower the better.

Maybe your leaf spring bushings or shackle bushings are flexing. I could drift my car and they never rubbed

spoiler pics 359.jpg

spoiler pics 360.jpg

spoiler pics 660.jpg

image1.jpg

New pics 374.jpg

One clarification: NEVER install a rear sway bar if you don't have a front sway bar. I say this because the OP didn't specify, and his problem was with roll in the rear.

The new car is getting sliders with adjustable ride height so I can run a road coarse with drag radials LOL. This is the standard width rear and wheels from the Duster. Car will get anti roll control. and the shock will be moved in front of the rear.

100_0143.JPG

100_0055 (2).JPG

100_0057 (2).JPG

100_0032.JPG

100_0028 (3).JPG

One clarification: NEVER install a rear sway bar if you don't have a front sway bar. I say this because the OP didn't specify, and his problem was with roll in the rear.
And you want a bigger bar in the front than the rear. I'd also use some stiffer torsion bars. As for the rear springs, check with options from ESPO and General Spring. You want something for the street that doesn't raise the rear up like a stinkbug. They handle terrible that way. Forget the air shocks too.

Never had a sway bar, had body roll, but didn't have any issues with tire clearance. Installed a front Hellwig sway bar and what a difference.

I have a 69 B'cuda w/a BB and 4 spd. I run .990 bars, frame connectors, SS springs(frt hangers flipped) and Hellwig bars (frt and rear) 255/15 rear and 225/15 frt. Tires clear fine and the car drives/handles fantastic. Try the Hellwig bars.....excellent company with fantastic customer support!

-
Back