Registering a Race car in California

-
DMV wont inspect car on trailer, like stated. They said CHP only checks numbers for salvage title only.

DMV inspected my son's Barracuda on the trailer ten years ago. I suspect it depends on the office.........

Im going to play there game. Im trailering it in and if they want me to take it off thats what ill do. Hope they have ear plugs and dont mind that race fuel smell. Should be interesting.

Just FYI...theres a guy on Craigslist who advertises that he can legally verify VIN's for DMV. He will come to you. Not sure how much he charges, but thought it was interesting when I saw the ad the other day.

I havent gone yet, keep saying tommorrow. I will try this week. I wish i lived up by you. Love the granite bay area. Friend of mine lives down the street from a DMV office in rocklin.

Done. Street legal with slicks and no exhuast! Guy at DMV enjoyed the noise of me pulling off and on the trailer. he actually wanted me to drive it around.

I just dealt with Cal CHP, nightmare in progress. They checked the VIN on the dash which does not match with the inner fender VIN (probably replaced in crash). The one on the drivers door is painted over, number maybe underneath but can't feel any dimples. Any VIN on frame of 68 Dart? They say if no two #'s match, then go to Cal. Air Resources Board for 2012 construction status which would initiate smog, etc. laws for new vehicles. Any HELP appreciated before I lose my mind.

I just dealt with Cal CHP, nightmare in progress. They checked the VIN on the dash which does not match with the inner fender VIN (probably replaced in crash). The one on the drivers door is painted over, number maybe underneath but can't feel any dimples. Any VIN on frame of 68 Dart? They say if no two #'s match, then go to Cal. Air Resources Board for 2012 construction status which would initiate smog, etc. laws for new vehicles. Any HELP appreciated before I lose my mind.

The 68 year only has one VIN number. The reason the tag and other body numbers won't match is because they used the sales order number on the fender tag and body stampings in 1968 and maybe prior to 68. But I'm sure they only have one stamped vin on the 1968 Cars. If you were to find the build sheet under the rear seat or carpet it would clearly show both the VIN# and sales order number on it. Then that S.O. number on the fender tag might make some sense.

Edit: There is usually a partial vin stamped on the engine and bellhousing by the distributer on small blocks near the drivers side that may work for you.

I didn't have any major problem with my 65 Dart. I made a trip w/o car when I first bought it as a lien sale, with paperwork from the tow company showing attempts to contact past owners. They said to bring it in to verify VIN when I could. I told her it might be a while since I tried to tow it and it wouldn't follow my car. I drove it there 3 yrs later and they verified VIN from just the driver's frame plate. That was an outside drive-up station. I had to return with all paperwork for a desk appt. which I did at a smaller DMV near work, since my local one is a notorious hell hole w/ 2 hr waits. The computer showed ~$800 in back fees from not having registered or paid a NoOp fee for 3 yrs, but I presented a Facts form stating that the car was not driveable until now. The lady smiled, said she had a 65 Dart way back, and deleted all back fees with a key-stroke and said I was good on what I paid originally. I walked out with tags. It may depend on the counter person. I don't see that they make any mechanical inspection or care what tires are on the car.

Call Scott at DMV Services 619-461-8549 . If he is out of your area of California, I am sure he can refer you to someone else.

He comes out in person and inspects Vin's etc, he can order your plates finalize registrations, whatever you need. He is also a Mopar Guy. He inspected my out of state purchase 70 Dart 4speed and the drive train was out of it in my garage.

Haven't checked this thread for a long time as I had to put the Dart registration on hold. Thanks for the info and ideas. I'll be visiting DMV in the near future, so we'll see how it goes.
Was told by a professional vin duplicator that fender stamp (numbers) and vin are completely different and independant. CHP thought the "64" on fender tag referred to the year. Vin guy said it represented an original 6 cylinder with a floor shift!

Calif. DMV came through. Inspected plate by windshield. Asked for secondary (painted over) and approved! Thanks again!!

-
Back