Reluctant A Body owner

-

labyerly

Reaction score
My ownership of a '74 Dart Swinger is/was because of too big a heart (according to my wife). A military enlisted man owned the car and had put TONS of money into the car. 360, Edelbrock heads/intake, 750 Holley, dynoed out at 430hp. All new suspension, torsion bars - everything underneath. The military transferred him to Korea and he needed to sell the car quick. Had it listed on eBay multiple times with no takers. Pictures were crappy and description didn't tell the real story and never made the reserve. Long story short - I ended up with it to help the kid out. So, here I am, a dedicated old school street rodder with a killer Dodge prostreet car. It is scary fast and drives like it is on rails. All it needs are seat covers, a headliner and a paint job to be an over the top great A body.

Welcome to FABO, and we need to see pics and hear more about this car !
Glad to have you here .

I succeeded in getting it home before winter closed in - by two days - so I put it in our building without taking any pictures. With the snow we have gotten it may be April before I make it back there again!

It is red with white top and beige interior. If I keep it, I'll probably paint it all red because I think the red under white looks a bit goofy with that interior.

Actually, I may have a picture at the office - I'll check tomorrow.

Welcome, you sound like an upright guy. Covered in snow, soot, dust, duster matter. Even a couple of low res flash pics.......?

My wife does system backups at the office every night so I found this and two pictures. I just don't know how to embed a picture on these type of posts.

Here is what I compiled off of the receipts that came with the car:

Suspension:
PST Front sway bar – 1”
PST Rear sway bar – 7/8”
Tie Rod Ends
Ball Joints
Idler Arm
Wheel Bearings
KYB Gas-A-Just front and rear shocks
CAP Automotive Tubular Upper A arms
Mancini Racing lower control arm reinforcements
Mancini Racing .920” torsion bars
Mancini Racing frame connectors

Radiator:
Custom built radiator

Ignition:
Mopar Perfromance Distributor upgrade and ignition module
Ultra coil

Transmission:
TCI nonlockup torque converter
TCI Flexplate
B&M High capacity pan
Turbo Action manual throttle body with manual shift linkage

Exhaust:
Magnaflow mufflers 2.5 inch
Gibson chrome tips
Dynomax Ceramic Headers

Rims:
American Racing Outlaw Type 61 14x7 5x4.5

Engine:
Edelbrock Air Gap intake manifold
Edelbrock Aluminium heads
Proform/Holley 750cfm 4 barrel carburetor
Mopar Performance fan
Mopar Performance water pump
Comp Cam
Perma-Cool oil cooler with fan
Summit lightweight racing starter
Alternator
Holley fuel pump
Remote mount oil filter with Airquip lines
Mopar Performance valve covers
Summit Racing air filter

I'd post a picture but I don't know how to do it inside a post. Help me out?

scroll down below where you type your post and click on manage attachments. try the pics like they are. may be to big. then resize them to 800x1000 and let them fly. thanks

I like the red w/white top. I would change the interior to white. But hey that is just my 2 pennys

Oh and by the way, it's a piece of junk and only because I have a soft spot in my heart I'll give you 500.00 for it. Naw just kidding, that is a nice looking car.

It's a nice car!I kinda dig the beak,but o really clean up the front end the bumper needds to be flush fit. I agree on the roof too. Definitely paint it red. Get rid of the vinyl roof as they can hide a ton of rot.

Hey labyerly -
Welcome to FABO! Nice looking Dart you got there.
I acquired my first '69 Dart in similar circumstances 40 years ago. I bought a '69 340 Swinger from the original owner after he'd owned the car for less than 6 months. He was about to be drafted back then and joined the Navy instead. His parents told him they wouldn't keep the payments up so he had to sell the car.
6 month old 340 Swinger with brand new Cragar S/S wheels for $2500. Don't you wish you could do that today?
I loved that car and had so much fun with it. In fact, that's why I bought my "new" '69 Dart a couple of years ago. Still gathering parts and hope to start putting it together soon.
Enjoy your Dart!

If thats the one that was in North Dakota I looked long at it but the shipping was a bear. After 23 years in AF I know all about selling cars you cant keep

Welcome! Things happen for a reason. I came into my a-body unexpectedly, it looked so sad with rust spots, dull paint and a For Sale sign, I felt sorry for it so I bought it. I'm glad I did, it has been a lot of fun, and I have met some great and HELPFUL people on this site.

Welcome to FABO!!! Your reluctance will turn to love once the weather breaks and you get to enjoy that Dart, trust me.

Can't believe nobody else noticed the CAP tubular control arms!!! <<< duckin behind the Cuda now >>> Layberly, if you're a brave soul do a search on this forum for CAP ... but grab something to drink first because you'll be reading for awhile. :-D

Best of luck with the new car!

-
Back