Remaking Duster ABS Sail Panels Prices!!!

-

moparspares

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Member D55dave donated me a set of 73 Duster sail panels and I agreed I would persue prices on getting them made.

I firstly approached a company here in Australia who quoted me on getting a Die made. Wait for it $130,000.00 and the panels after that $10ea. This would be an exact reproduction.

I then sent the details to a company in China who quoted me on a per pair price. They only sighted the panels by pictures and measurements I sent them. They would be $350 per pair but would be on a minimum order of 100 pair.

Persuing the first qoute would be impossible but the second China one is not out of the realms of possibility if we could find 100 customers for these units. I know I would be in for a pair.

Whats your thoughts.

Be sure to ask the Chinaman about shipping arrangements.

Hey moparspares -
Is there any difference between 71-72 Duster Sail Panels and 73 Duster Sail Panels?

Hey moparspares -
Is there any difference between 71-72 Duster Sail Panels and 73 Duster Sail Panels?
70-72 stops before the rear window, diffrent trexture, shape, made of metal iirc. 73-76 are plastic, go to the back window.

130,000 for dies is rape.
A set of dies for that simple stamping for the 72 down, will run less than 20K that will provide .060 surface profile, if you stamp them out of 6061-0 aluminum.
Flat pattern nc trim metal, bend it all day long, but you will never make your money back out of manufacturing the part............not enough demand.

Look into 3-D printing the plastic 73 and up stuff, it is really cheap on parts that have no stress running thru them.
I bet you could manufacture the first prototype for less than 5K....
Each part after is pennys to produce.

Not hard to find I have found numerous set in good shape and cheap. And as I find them I sell them or keep them.
So people just need to look for things
And I did read before posting and that is a crazy price for cheap crap would rather have no sail panels then pay 350 for them

Not hard to find I have found numerous set in good shape and cheap. And as I find them I sell them or keep them.
So people just need to look for things
And I did read before posting and that is a crazy price for cheap crap would rather have no sail panels then pay 350 for them

You keep them because you know they are getting hard to find. Just because it is Made In China doesnt mean crap. I would suggest most of the aftermarket parts on your cars are now punched out in China. I know if I saw these panels at Classic Industries for $350 a pair I would definetly hand over the cash.

Sireland dont know much about this 3D stuff. Is their plenty of places that do this kind of stuff now.

70-72 stops before the rear window, diffrent trexture, shape, made of metal iirc. 73-76 are plastic, go to the back window.

I did not know that.

Dumb question: If the later cars have plastic sail panels, shouldn't they just about always survive? I would think that these parts should be as common as anything else from a parts car.

my '74 Duster had one broken on one side. It was small enough that I could just epoxy it together and rattle can it black. Also drilled a hole to stop the crack from continuing.

I would expect just like the rest of the interior stuff, cars from the hot southern states will have brittle and cracked parts while the northern guys have rusted bodies and clean interiors.
These sail panels are getting harder to find even out here on the west coast. These cars are not showing up very often in the self serve wrecking yards anymore. Its almost as if you need to buy a whole car just to get a few specific parts.

Why is everyone looking for these panels? Do they break all the time?

For some reason they get really, really brittle. I took a good one out of a parts car I have and was afraid I would break it just getting it out. I don't really want to sell it to anyone that would need it shipped for fear of it getting broken in transit.
Dallas

I'm going to dig through my shed.

I helped part out 6 late model Dusters and I have access to really good urethane mold building materials.

If these things are really that obnoxious to find in good condition, someone should make a reasonable alternative.

Yes these are notorious for breaking and cracking, I had a perfect set until someone closed my passenger door and a piece went flying off of one. I am going to try to have some metal ones made.

Soooo, did anybody ever find out if this is now available? I would totally be onboard with this!!

As mentioned above, Look for interior plastic from cooler northern climates. I picked up a good clean disassembled car from Texas and brought it back to Canada. The interior plastic was so brittle that it broke up like a soda cracker. I have a couple Canadian parts cars that have all the interior plastic in great shape.

Cley

-
Back