Remember when we had no fear with our toys?

-
We used to take shotgun shells, open them up and empty the bb’s. Tape a marble to the bottom on the brass and throw them up. When they hit asphalt they fire

or shoot m80’s using a wrist rocket slingshot. Pull it back to your ear, have a friend light it and launch it. Nothing bad could happen here!
Forgot about these only we didn't empty the bb's but taped on some wings and threw them. There used to be a honky-tonk club not too far from where I used to live and we'd throw then out into the parking lot where there wasn't many cars and you could hear the bb's coming down on them. He hid behind a dumpster but it wasn't far from a dirt road so getting away on our bikes wasn't hard to do. They weren't real loud but you could throw then a pretty good distance.

No doubt. In the emergency room 24 hours after my Grandpa gave me this and right back on it again a few hours later lol..... I keep saying it's coming out of the attic one day but that's as far as the project has gotten lol...

JW

View attachment 1715980570
Yep, I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 stitches from a Rupp. Waited till my Dad got home from work to reveal. While the nurse scrubbed it out and stitched it up I read the book about Chanaults flying tigers! Thing would never heal as we went right from there to kill the man with the ball on round bales! Busted it all back open! My Dad was pissed!And yes we drank out of the garden hose!

My Dad was a handy woodworker as a hobby. Made a beautiful entertainment console.
He built us kids a drift cart out of wood, looked really cool but had extreme flaws, had hard mower wheels I`ll guess, even a steering wheel.

I took it down school house hill, we lived on top, all the towns kids used to sled ride there too. I`m going down it and looked back to see a car behind me, tried to move over and got into a little heavy gravel , over corrected the lousy steering and upside down I went.
My face and arms looked like I went over a vegetable shredder, A bawling I went back home.
A couple months later our Aunt and cousins came to visit for awhile, my cousin took the death cart down the hill and came back up looking like I did. :lol:

Don`t remember what happened to the cart but hope Dad stuffed it in a burn barrel.
Wheel track was WAY too narrow. lol:steering:

My Dad was a handy woodworker as a hobby.
He built us kids a drift cart out of wood, looked really cool but had extreme flaws, had hard mower wheels I`ll guess, even a steering wheel.

My stepdad and I built one for the dead end road at the family weekend place they bought in our local SoCal mountains. Unfortunately, we wrapped the rope around the steering shaft the wrong way so when you wanted to turn to the right you had to steer left.
Absolutely not a problem!
My stepdad drove it on it's initial drive down the road, either forgot about the steering or panicked a bit. Meant to steer into a gentle right hand turn but took a hard left and went over the edge of the road and into a 3-foot diameter pine tree.
We drug it back to the cabin and immediately corrected the steering.
I had a lot of fun driving that thing down the road until someone stole it.

My brother's and I took lawn darts to a new level...

We took one of the spikes that you used to build log cabins.(about 8" in length) .. tied about 24" of string to it and a piece of white cloth (t- shirt) to the other end of the string...

We'd get about 7 or 8 kids in a group and fling that spike into the air as high as we could. Everyone would start running as the spike was released...

Lather rinse repeat...

:rofl:

This made me think of the playground in elementary school... the monkey bars had no earth-friendy, recycled soft spongy stuff underneath it. Just dirt and gravel.

Screenshot_20220906_213717.jpg

This made me think of the playground in elementary school... the monkey bars had no earth-friendy, recycled soft spongy stuff underneath it. Just dirt and gravel.

View attachment 1715981897
20210722_103613-jpg-jpg.jpg

im the cute lil blond kid in the front

and in case you think "thats not too bad" wait till you see the whole thing

20210722_103559-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
If you were a kid in the 50's and 60's you would remember these things.
Had one of these in grade school that you played on at recess time.
Remember lots of us getting banged up, a time or two, thinking how fast you could spin around on it.

Playground merry go round.png

That's real??? Holy crap lol
Oh, it got worse than that, at My grade school they PAVED the entire playground! I got on the top of the monkey-bars and jumped(3rd grade), calculating how I was going to absorb the impact as I landed, about an 8ft. drop...shockingly I broke nothing, but bit the left side of My tongue off when My jaw slammed off My left knee!! LOL!! We had trough-style water fountains in the halls, I can still see the trail of red running towards the drain at the end.

If you were a kid in the 50's and 60's you would remember these things.
Had one of these in grade school that you played on at recess time.
Remember lots of us getting banged up, a time or two, thinking how fast you could spin around on it.

View attachment 1715981924

my boy tangles with one of those a few years ago, only that one wasnt round, like the one you posted, but more octagon shaped, with welded edges

it had been raining and he jumped up, slid off and somehow caught the edge with his leg

17 stitches later, he was back at school again

20191011_113835-jpg.jpg

20191011_122400-jpg.jpg

I wonder how many of these sold after seeing "RALPHIE" In a Christmas story, when nobody figured they were dangerous, for kids, back in the old days.

Ralphie.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how many of these sold after seeing "RALPHIE" In a Christmas story, when nobody figured they were dangerous, for kids, back in the old days.

View attachment 1715982215

my boy got one of those for hist 8th birthday
there were a ton of kids around and i didnt think one BB gun would be enough, so i grabbed 3 or 4 more and told the kids to be careful

about half an hour later one of the kids comes in complaining about a headache and pain in her ear
sure enough, my wife took a look at her, grabbed a needle and pulled a BB out of her ear

that was the end of the BB guns for that day

Yep, I remember participating in roman candle and bottle rocket wars every summer. We’d also make grenades with several black cats rubber-banded together enclosed in modeling clay and hardened in the freezer. If one of those landed nearby, you’d better run like hell or hit the deck! lol good times...

Yep, I remember participating in roman candle and bottle rocket wars every summer. We’d also make grenades with several black cats rubber-banded together enclosed in modeling clay and hardened in the freezer. If one of those landed nearby, you’d better run like hell or hit the deck! lol good times...
Damm, now a day's you'd be considered a "terrorist" in training. lol :rolleyes:

-
Back