Removal / replace sending unit

-

williaml

Reaction score
Has anyone done this before? What are some of the trinks in getting the old one out and the new one in? Ay help would be helpful and appricated.

Thanks again

1965 Dodge Dart Convertible....

I haven't done '65 but have worked on '68/69 several times. Hopefully they are similar. Make sure gas tank is as empty as possible. Lift back end of car (with 2nd gen cars you don't need to drop the tank to swap sender - though you have to turn it carefully to find the right angle for removal and entry). Tap the lock ring to the left until it unlocks the sender unit. I usually cut the rubber fuel line that connects sender to hard line, it's generally stiff and hard to pull off. Should be replaced anyway. Lock ring may require tweaking to keep a good seal (see other posts on leaking sender units). Use a fresh gasket, if reusing old sender make sure float doesn't leak and replace the filter. Reconnect fuel line, gas gauge wire, and ground - make sure the ground is solid. Check for leaks after you fill, may want to go half tnak or less the first time unitl you know it won't leak. This is a pretty easy job as long as you don't have much gas in the tank. Enjoy!

ok, thanks I changed out the filler gasket last week and that stopped leaking. I will check the connections before removing to see if I have power and such from the unit. Would you recommend the wrench some are talking about or just a screw driver and light taps?

Probably best to drop the tank and do a full job (clean rust, paint, etc). Since the sender isn't an emergency, I would wait until you have time.

I have changed the sender on several Mopars with the tank in the car, incl my 69 Dart. I pulled the tank in my 65 Dart for a full-up job, but I think you could do it in the car. You need to drive the rear up on ramps to get room to see and swing your arms. Wear safety glasses because junk will fall. Make sure the level is well below the sender (<5 gal). Replace the fuel hose with "fuel injection" type. Insure you have a good ground connection on the new sender (sure that isn't your problem with the old one?).

I will check the wires coming out before doing anything. the tank is in good condition I looked in it when I had the filler gasket off. I hope this will be as easy as the gasket replacement was.

Thanks again all

I just finished up doing a sending unit on my 73 duster, with pulling the tank. Dropping the tank made the job so much easier to do in my opinion. Dropping the tank also gave me a chance to inspect the frame and spare tire well under the car. It was much easier to work on with the tank on the bench as well. I put the car up on jack stands, drained the tank, and utilized my floor jack with some wooden cribbing to distribute the weight of the tank evenly. The tank isn't heavy but there is no point in horsing it yourself. I ran new steel fuel lines when the tank was out of the car too. Definitely the way to go. Hope this helps.

Looked at my 65 valiant tank yesterday and if you support the frame of the car and let the axle hang low you should have enough room. If you support the car by the axle I don't think the sender will clear the diff.

-
Back